What would you do: Transmission or suspension/headers?

Suspension + headers or G-Force T5

• Suspension & bassani headers

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • G-Force T5

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I was doing some rough figuring the other night and it looks like I may be getting a substantial tax return this year, so much so that I have a couple really tempting oportunities in terms of modding that I didn't think I'd have for some time. With what I think I'm getting back, I believe I can afford either a few suspension goodies (UCAs/LCAs/springs/shocks/struts) plus a set of bassani headers or a g-force T5 along with all the little bits that go with it (if I save up a little more cash). I'll only be able to do one or the other for now, and I could really use the suspension and headers, but I don't have a lot of faith left in my T45 - one more season of hard driving will probably do it in. So basically, if I go suspension/headers, I don't think I'll be able to really race this season. So what would you do in my shoes? :shrug: :thumbsup:

duane v

Established Member
Wylde Horses said:
I was doing some rough figuring the other night and it looks like I may be getting a substantial tax return this year, so much so that I have a couple really tempting oportunities in terms of modding that I didn't think I'd have for some time. With what I think I'm getting back, I believe I can afford either a few suspension goodies (UCAs/LCAs/springs/shocks/struts) plus a set of bassani headers or a g-force T5 along with all the little bits that go with it (if I save up a little more cash). I'll only be able to do one or the other for now, and I could really use the suspension and headers, but I don't have a lot of faith left in my T45 - one more season of hard driving will probably do it in. So basically, if I go suspension/headers, I don't think I'll be able to really race this season. So what would you do in my shoes? :shrug: :thumbsup:
I can definately understand the t-45 concern , but a g-force T-5 isnt too much better, wait till you try to powershift that G-force at 7000 rpm :-D ..my tko plus starts feeling notchy at 7000 rpm...I say up-grade the (UCAs/LCAs/springs/shocks/struts) plus the set of bassani headers, and take your chances with the t-45, just dont powershift 3rd, just bang it...DA snake boy!!!

I would throw out the transmission idea period unless you are getting a T56, now those are smooth:-D

edit: yo duane, just out of curiousity, what are your numbers on that beast?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i love my headers and my tranny. if i had to do it all over, i would do headers just because its cheaper. i really love the tranny though. tough choice. my vote definitely goes for the t56 though.

duane v

Established Member
Blk98Cobra said:
edit: yo duane, just out of curiousity, what are your numbers on that beast?
My dyno session we couldnt pull it past 6900 rpm, something about the C&L MAF pegging :shrug: ...it made 349 rwhp @ 6900 rpm and climbing...

I then replaced the 2 chamber flows and installed race-bullet muffs :( , and replaced the BBK CAI, with the UPR power-pipe and picked up 9 rwhp at 6900 rpm and a peak 361 rwhp at 7200 rpm, with no re-tuning....but my torque is at only 318 ftbls at 4800 rpm :( ...Im gonna have to take a look at how I degreed the cams, or go with a different cam(s) grind all together..will see :shrug: ...DA snake boy!!!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
My dyno session we couldnt pull it past 6900 rpm, something about the C&L MAF pegging
Better upgrade that puppy - pegging a MAF will cause you to start leaning out at the worst possible time - WOT and high rpm.

It's essentially the same thing as having a vacuum leak at WOT - and we all know that's a bad thing...

duane v said:
My dyno session we couldnt pull it past 6900 rpm, something about the C&L MAF pegging :shrug: ...it made 349 rwhp @ 6900 rpm and climbing...

I then replaced the 2 chamber flows and installed race-bullet muffs :( , and replaced the BBK CAI, with the UPR power-pipe and picked up 9 rwhp at 6900 rpm and a peak 361 rwhp at 7200 rpm, with no re-tuning....but my torque is at only 318 ftbls at 4800 rpm :( ...Im gonna have to take a look at how I degreed the cams, or go with a different cam(s) grind all together..will see :shrug: ...DA snake boy!!!

hehe thats freaking awesome man! Some day I hope my cobra can be like yours :rockon:

duane v

Established Member
Wylde Horses said:
Alright, saying I go with suspension and headers, what should I do about my tranny? Any cheap solutions that can take some abuse?
Unfortunately, there are really no cheap solutions for our mod motors :( ....Just as long you stay away from power-shifting you can pro-long the inevtible...everytime I broke me t-45 I was trying to power shift 3rd....Only thing I could think of is find a ford tranny tech that will do side jobs, and re-install some new synchros...DA snake boy!!!

whitelightning9

Established Member
I would go the tranny route. Then you can get the other mods later as you can do them individual instead of saving a big lump sum to do them all at once.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
you could buy a busted t45, find a tech manual on the t45 and rebuild it yourself. that's what my buddy does. each time it breaks, it only costs him about 60 bucks and a saturday to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread