What would you do for a CAI?

Carl

Established Member
I like the FRPP 123mm Cobra Jet MAF. I could use a JLT heat shield and a Cobra Jet air tube with the FRPP MAF or I could get the JLT big air CAI. If its not a money issue, what would you do?

Last edited:

RedNightmare06

Established Member
Best meter for these cars while still keeping the stock look.
Whipple 123 in the stock air bucket(exactly the same setup ford racing uses for their 750 kit) along with a cJ intake tube and the stock intake rubber tube to the intake.
Might not be the cheapest but absolutely the best hands down.(it also has more range/can support more HP than the jlt 123 or 127)

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
What other mods do you have done? When changing the tube (unless stock JLT replacement) you will also need a tune to support it.

LT5

Established Member
Best meter for these cars while still keeping the stock look.
Whipple 123 in the stock air bucket(exactly the same setup ford racing uses for their 750 kit) along with a cJ intake tube and the stock intake rubber tube to the intake.
Might not be the cheapest but absolutely the best hands down.(it also has more range/can support more HP than the jlt 123 or 127)
Read my mind.

Post#40 http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...656-127mm-jlt-questions-those-who-have-2.html

Getting impatient for Ford Racing to step up with a stock looking piece.
Time to clone my own. I like the stealthy "plain jane" look.

Thanks to Tob for the excellent photos. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/830168-jlt-carbon-fiber-big-air-intake-eom-heat-shield-amsoil-filter-2.html

and http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rpp-whipple-kit-content-install-09-gt500.html

Carl

Established Member
I would absolutely do the FRPP/Whipple air box if I could get that. Seems that it's only sold as part of a kit.

Last edited:

RedNightmare06

Established Member
I would absolutely do the FRPP/Whipple air box if I could get that. Seems that it's only sold as part of a kit.

Very easy to do .I done a few of them already.
Take the stock air box and cut the meter out and install the whipple Maf.
Whipple does the same exact mod for the Ford kit.
I bought a couple extra stock cai to do , this way I still have a stock one intact if wanted to go back to stock.

Carl

Established Member
Is the 2013 air box the same as the 2011/2012? Who sells just the whipple MAF?

RedNightmare06

Established Member
Is the 2013 air box the same as the 2011/2012? Who sells just the whipple MAF?
Yes same air box 2010-2014

You can call whipple for the parts or any whipple dealer.
You need the housing the ring and air filter .
These parts along with the cj inlet and Coupler 5 inch x 4(I use black hose) and buying a stock air box to mod cost me around 500

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Yes same air box 2010-2014

You can call whipple for the parts or any whipple dealer.
You need the housing the ring and air filter .
These parts along with the cj inlet and Coupler 5 inch x 4(I use black hose) and buying a stock air box to mod cost me around 500

Any pics of your setup?

Tucker

A few things to keep in mind or just info incase you didn't know.

JLT has updated our Heat Shield to a more OEM look and fit:
1013041_10151554610712155_1939526429_n.jpg

8559_10151554610707155_318049373_n.jpg

Also, because a certian tuner was saying the JLT had a turnbulance issue even though other tuners don't have issues tuning it, we retooled the filter flange.
It now has a positive stop molded in. This stop also is molded to the size of the tubes so air flow is nice and smooth.
954603_10151554615112155_720213516_n.jpg

1011928_10151554615097155_892919033_n.jpg

7810_10151554615107155_1757607131_n.jpg

Last picture above is of the flange of a unbuilt filter to show you the smooth radius that meets the tubes.

Even without any of this these kits were just fine, but we hate to see tuners point fingers at parts Vs tuning the car. So we made this small change to they have to find another part to blame for the car not running right.:lol:

The JLT Big Air Intakes, 123 and 127 were more than enough to propel the Evolution GT500 to be the first in the 9's with a 9.95
Evo 1st in the 9's

As well as Lethal's GT500 into the 9's
Lethal 2nd into the 9's
As well as countless others here on these forums.

Don't think the "Big Air" has enough range for your HP level?

We got you covered here too, that's why we built the Super Big Air
148mm and 155mm and enough to propel Evolutions GT500 into the 8's and make nearly 1200 RWHP :rockon:
945425_10151491411027155_1724468353_n.jpg

You don't need to spend $500 or more to do the same thing and if the others were better don't you think shops like Evo who want to win every race would spend whatever they needed to to do so?:shrug:

Not to mention the look.
With choices from OEM textured plastic to color matched to real Carbon Fiber they look so much better than this:
20130119_175357.jpg

And are making more power and costing much less. :beer:
Why spend more to get less?

Big Airs start at only $349
&
Super Big Airs start at only $399
How can you beat that?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
LOl at JLT using my setup in the pic ! Oh well I have it out there so no matter.

As JLT has put it up, what you see is my own setup I used where I modded my stock airbox, and I used a Tasca/Whipple 123 MAF mated to a 123 CJ inlet tube that connect to the OEM Ford piece. I went online and was able to buy a coupler that would accept the bigger MAF. SINCE this picture, I have purchase a larger coupler that gives me more flexibility on the setup, and also matches the cam covers better, as well as a nice blue filter to toss on.

Now I would say that the Cobra Jet 123 MAF would look very nice, being chrome n all, and I have considered getting this piece. I had a JLT carbon fiber tube, but it would not run correctly with my tune. Multiple issues, as MANY here have also stated, and thus the reason why the filter has changed out from JLT. When I did this setup, I had ZERO issues with how my car ran with the EXACT SAME TUNE. Also note that JLT is aware of these issues and this is the reason they have changed their filter. Which in the end is a good thing.

The JLT piece is a great looking piece if you like carbon fiber weave and what not, but in truth I like the OEM look of my setup with 123 intake from the CJ. I also like the OEM air box that I still have because quite frankly a lot of the aftermarket pieces are just not up to snuff of the stock piece. There is a reason the aftermarket guys keep changing their designs....

In closing, yes the 123 CJ maf, mated to a 123 CJ inlet will look very nice under the hood. Mod the stock air box which is not hard at all, and you will have a great looking setup that will WORK the first time out no issues. If the CJ runs this setup I would think our street cars should have no issues with it.

Now do not get me wrong, JLT has some nice stuff for sure. Heck I run their catch can, but for the CAI, I decided to go this route and I love it. Apparently so do others because I have had zero complaints at shows, and many think its stock.

Last edited:

Tucker

Sorry man,but facts are facts and none of the fast cars run stock stuff and most on this forum run a JLT.
That not because they dont work.
Your cars tune was never right with the JLT, but you blame the part. Well let me ask, Why did you sell it vs return it? That would mean whom ever bought it would have problems too right? If it was defective we needed to get it off the street, but it wasn't defective at all.
The thing is they wont have an issue with a good tune, thats why you were able to sell it.

Nothing can compare in looks, price or performance. We don't sell thousands of these kits because they don't work I can tell you that.

Sorry if it bothers you I used your picture as an example, but its a perfect comparison to show how much better ours looks, plus 123mm is 123mm no matter the name on the box, LOL.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Sorry man,but facts are facts and none of the fast cars run stock stuff and most on this forum run a JLT.
That not because they dont work.
Your cars tune was never right with the JLT, but you blame the part. Well let me ask, Why did you sell it vs return it? That would mean whom ever bought it would have problems too right? If it was defective we needed to get it off the street, but it wasn't defective at all.
The thing is they wont have an issue with a good tune, thats why you were able to sell it.

Nothing can compare in looks, price or performance. We don't sell thousands of these kits because they don't work I can tell you that.

Sorry if it bothers you I used your picture as an example, but its a perfect comparison to show how much better ours looks, plus 123mm is 123mm no matter the name on the box, LOL.

In truth I bought it from someone in the market, and when I DID call about little things I thought was missing on it, I was told well you need to talk to them. (seller) So why on earth if I could not get a gromet for the MAF slot would I call and talk about it not running right on the tune ? The person I did sell it to called and was also told that he could PAY for a new filter and parts, so what I did was sent him my NEW in a box Air-raid filter that would work using the adapter method so he would not be out of more money. It worked and he was happy with it.

Also I am not the only one who has complained about the setup. There are a myriad of posts were people ask about this setup. The whole move the filter up or down on the tube does not sound familiar ? Heck this is the reason why you have redesign your filter....but alas, I am not here to argue over any of this, nor do I care if you use a old pic. As you say 123 is 123 and my setup flows and runs great. I also think it looks fine. I also believe it would look even better with the CJ Ford piece which was what the original question was in the first place.

Yes you sell thousands of the kits and its successful. Thats great. But just as with Bobs separator compared to your CURRENT one it does not mean its the end all of all. That is why there are multiple vendors to choose from so you can pick what's right for you. I believe and still believe the 123 Ford piece couple with the inlet looks real good. I am using the original Tasca piece for now. It works, looks good imo, and flows well. As I said it was a choice. I tried yours and it did not work for me, so I did my own thing and I am quite happy with it. As for the OP, if he was to try it, I am sure he would be happy to. May have to do a little more work, but he would be happy.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
A few things to keep in mind or just info incase you didn't know.

JLT has updated our Heat Shield to a more OEM look and fit:
1013041_10151554610712155_1939526429_n.jpg

8559_10151554610707155_318049373_n.jpg

Also, because a certian tuner was saying the JLT had a turnbulance issue even though other tuners don't have issues tuning it, we retooled the filter flange.
It now has a positive stop molded in. This stop also is molded to the size of the tubes so air flow is nice and smooth.
954603_10151554615112155_720213516_n.jpg

1011928_10151554615097155_892919033_n.jpg

7810_10151554615107155_1757607131_n.jpg

Last picture above is of the flange of a unbuilt filter to show you the smooth radius that meets the tubes.

Even without any of this these kits were just fine, but we hate to see tuners point fingers at parts Vs tuning the car. So we made this small change to they have to find another part to blame for the car not running right.:lol:

The JLT Big Air Intakes, 123 and 127 were more than enough to propel the Evolution GT500 to be the first in the 9's with a 9.95
Evo 1st in the 9's

As well as Lethal's GT500 into the 9's
Lethal 2nd into the 9's
As well as countless others here on these forums.

Don't think the "Big Air" has enough range for your HP level?

We got you covered here too, that's why we built the Super Big Air
148mm and 155mm and enough to propel Evolutions GT500 into the 8's and make nearly 1200 RWHP :rockon:
945425_10151491411027155_1724468353_n.jpg

You don't need to spend $500 or more to do the same thing and if the others were better don't you think shops like Evo who want to win every race would spend whatever they needed to to do so?:shrug:

Not to mention the look.
With choices from OEM textured plastic to color matched to real Carbon Fiber they look so much better than this:
20130119_175357.jpg

And are making more power and costing much less. :beer:
Why spend more to get less?

Big Airs start at only $349
&
Super Big Airs start at only $399
How can you beat that?

good job looks like so big improvements have be made in looks alone, since im a stock look kind of guy. keep up the good work. :beer:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ninjak said:
....in truth I like the OEM look of my setup with 123 intake from the CJ.

I know exactly where you're coming from. The OEM look sits well with me too.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Tucker: I would like to run the Super Big Air with an oval SCJ TB. I will have the stock SC for now and I know the Super Big Air isn't needed yet, but I will upgrade the SC in the future so I'd rather just buy it now. Any problems doing that?
Any way to order with a blue filter? My car has blue stripes and I hate the red filter with the rest of the motor. It sounds like many others would prefer a blue filter. Is red the only option?
-J

Tucker

Tucker: I would like to run the Super Big Air with an oval SCJ TB. I will have the stock SC for now and I know the Super Big Air isn't needed yet, but I will upgrade the SC in the future so I'd rather just buy it now. Any problems doing that?
Any way to order with a blue filter? My car has blue stripes and I hate the red filter with the rest of the motor. It sounds like many others would prefer a blue filter. Is red the only option?
-J
You can use the Super Big Air on a stock blower, yes, but it may be harder to tune for low RPM, but talk to your tuner on that. Evolution did it when they first got their car, but say no real power over the regular Big Air at that lower power level, but they use them on all their 800+ HP builds.
We have red oiled and white dry filters only. We used to offer blue, but the dye would fade fast and people complained. The oil was still there doing it's job, but it would turn a greyish blue so we stopped selling them.
Just not worth the hassle, but you can clean a red filter and use blue oil on it if you wish to turn it blue.
Id like a white or black filter
S&B is working on some new stuff for us and I'll talk to them about black oil, maybe it can be our signature filter, but then again it will be hard to tell when it's dirty :bash::lol:
good job looks like so big improvements have be made in looks alone, since im a stock look kind of guy. keep up the good work. :beer:

Really not used to your positive posts in my threads, this isn't normal Me32. Whos using your computer??:lol:

Tucker

In truth I bought it from someone in the market, and when I DID call about little things I thought was missing on it, I was told well you need to talk to them. (seller) So why on earth if I could not get a gromet for the MAF slot would I call and talk about it not running right on the tune ? The person I did sell it to called and was also told that he could PAY for a new filter and parts, so what I did was sent him my NEW in a box Air-raid filter that would work using the adapter method so he would not be out of more money. It worked and he was happy with it.
Huh, we sell parts all the time for kits bought used, but am I understanding that you expected us to give your buyer a new filter and parts for a used kit?
:shrug:

Also I am not the only one who has complained about the setup. There are a myriad of posts were people ask about this setup. The whole move the filter up or down on the tube does not sound familiar ?
Myriad? Really? We would sell them if that was true.
The % is very small and with proper filter placement and tune 99.9% are running like a dream as you can see by the large amount of signatures here with "JLT Big Air Intake" in them.
Unfortunately it's dependent on a proper tune and filter placement and one is easily corrected by us.
Do you know how many time we get the blame for poor tunes? Too many.
That's the #1 reason we changed the filter. We have tons of cars, mine included running perfect with no stop or screen for that matter, but tuners still blame the kit.
Perfect example, please read:
This week I get a call from a Boss owner, screaming that his car runs like crap with our intake on it and his tuner said to return it.
"I read online about this and it's the intake, IT"S THE INTAKE!!!"
Sorry sir, I think it's your tune, not the intake.
Heck, I'll send you a tune for free, let me know how it works, if it doesn't return it.
I sent a tune and then get a call from a 2nd local tuner to him saying he's coming in for a dyno session and never going to his original tuner again because my email tune ran great. This happens time and time again, so it's important to get a proper tune to make your car run right.
Heck this is the reason why you have redesign your filter....
No shame in tweaking a product, shame should come in ignoring something that can be addressed.
We thought everyone would instinctively put the filter at the end for best flow, we were wrong in a few installs and made it impossible to install wrong, that's just good business.

but alas, I am not here to argue over any of this, nor do I care if you use a old pic. As you say 123 is 123 and my setup flows and runs great. I also think it looks fine. I also believe it would look even better with the CJ Ford piece which was what the original question was in the first place.
Glad your happy with your set up, but all I'm saying it it's not the only or best option out there.

Yes you sell thousands of the kits and its successful. Thats great. But just as with Bobs separator compared to your CURRENT one it does not mean its the end all of all. That is why there are multiple vendors to choose from so you can pick what's right for you. I believe and still believe the 123 Ford piece couple with the inlet looks real good. I am using the original Tasca piece for now. It works, looks good imo, and flows well. As I said it was a choice. I tried yours and it did not work for me, so I did my own thing and I am quite happy with it. As for the OP, if he was to try it, I am sure he would be happy to. May have to do a little more work, but he would be happy.
And that's what makes the world go round, options.
We love it and thank you for being a customer. I by no means meant to offend you by using your picture and wish you the best of fun with your GT500. :beer:

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Tucker,

Any blue filters that will work with your kits in the works?

Crowley

Users who are viewing this thread