what would you do, 2001 or 2003 Cobra

Mighty-d

Speed Matters
Established Member
I want the 2003-04 Cobra...prices are from 18-21k. Many here are very nice and on here... and have the set ups and extras that make it easier for me to drive.

I also have a 2001 Cobra that could pick up around 14k if i do that I could put a KB on it and be doing just fine in the HP department.. low miles too but I be around 18 k by the time I have it all together and tech fees.... so it be about the same....???

ALSO have a 2002 Saleen looking at with Paxton Blower...low miles but been down the strip a few times.. Exterior is 7 out of ten, to many chips dinds all around. front bumber, clear coming off...

So, WHAT WOULD YOU DO

fstr03svtcobra

Established Member
Get the 01 and do a lot of work on it. Make it your own. There are plenty of awesome 03 cobras, but an 01 just as fast or faster would be special.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Do a search on these cars. Get the 03-04. If your goals just are between 400-500rwhp, you will be far better off with the 03-04. That's just bolt-ons for them. Yeah you can have an 01 with a kb and have 420-460rwhp and it could be fine for years or blow up in a day. Plus by then you will be close to the price of an 03-04 anyway. Like I said do a search, this has been asked a million times

Mighty-d

Speed Matters
Established Member
Do a search on these cars. Get the 03-04. If your goals just are between 400-500rwhp, you will be far better off with the 03-04. That's just bolt-ons for them. Yeah you can have an 01 with a kb and have 420-460rwhp and it could be fine for years or blow up in a day. Plus by then you will be close to the price of an 03-04 anyway. Like I said do a search, this has been asked a million times

Yea and the 03 and 04 hold vaule better, yes?
Thansk for answering for the 1,000,001 time! lol

I am researched and just beside myself,

I still have the Saleen option. LOL PAXTON blower 14lbs boost, around 427 HP...for 12K

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea and the 03 and 04 hold vaule better, yes?
Thansk for answering for the 1,000,001 time! lol

I am researched and just beside myself,

I still have the Saleen option. LOL PAXTON blower 14lbs boost, around 427 HP...for 12K

Yes they do. No problem man :thumbsup: The saleen sounds good, but if the bottom ends not built and its been beat on a good amount, then I don't know about that either. If you have done your research then it should be a no brainer. Plenty of nice 03-04's for great prices right now.

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
better clutch
better heads
higher base hp
supercharged
very efficient intercooler
nicer seats
better handling
newer car
better color choice
easily mod facia for brake cooling
you can say you have a "terminator"
that is all.

win...../thread:beer:

svt99rag

Established Member
Having owned a new edge and a terminator I say 03/04. I really enjoyed my 99 and thought about building it instead of getting the 03 but decided to buy the 03 and am very happy with my decision.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Terminator without a doubt. I just can't stand the '99 Cobra interior and the '01 Cobra interior is hardly better.

The 01's and 03-04's are basically the same. The seats are mildly different, 03-04's have "el glow" gauges or whatever there called. And a shift knob has the shift pattern on a piece of aluminum. I don't see how there that far off :shrug:

Oh you can also get the dark seat inserts in 04's that was not available on 01's or 03's

yellowbra

Established Member
03-04
Forged internals
Modibility
WAY better styling.
t-56
better irs

should I keep going?

better clutch
better heads
higher base hp
supercharged
nicer seats
better handling
newer car
better color choice
that is all.

The 01's and 03-04's are basically the same. The seats are mildly different, 03-04's have "el glow" gauges or whatever there called. And a shift knob has the shift pattern on a piece of aluminum. I don't see how there that far off :shrug:

Oh you can also get the dark seat inserts in 04's that was not available on 01's or 03's
Read above please

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
$14k for a 01 Cobra, youll have to spend another $5-6k to make 450-500hp and do quite a bit of work, and your final investment would be $20k if not more.

Or you can buy a 03/04, do boltons, and get the same results, spending roughly the same money, with a car thats built better (especially motor wise), and worth more in the end, and would be more reliable to boot. In my experience, the car that is closest to factory will ALWAYS be more reliable.

Plus that 01 is limited to 500hp or thereabouts until you build the motor (spending another $5k easy), whereas the 03/04 Cobra already comes with a moderately built motor and capable of 700-800whp with blowers, and even more with snails on the stock motor (from oil pan to valvecovers). If your goal is anywhere between 450-650, IMO the 03/04 is by far the better choice. If your goals necessitate a built motor/trans/rear end, then you might as well save your money and get the 01, since you will be gutting everything that makes a 03/04 Cobra a 03/04 Cobra and paying more for the initial purchase. Not to mention doing that sort of extensive mods to a car, you likely arent worried about resale value.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Terminator without a doubt. I just can't stand the '99 Cobra interior and the '01 Cobra interior is hardly better.
Read above please
So how much different is the interior of the 03? :shrug: Interior is pretty much the same crap on both 01 and 03, the seats however do feel better on the 03 but they still look identical
p53348_large+2001_Ford_SVT_Mustang_cobra+Interior_View_Seats.jpg
CobraInterior.jpg
O.P get the 03 Cobra, its just a better car overall. Wow I would expect the 01 to be in the 12s - 10 k instead of 14. Bought my 01 Cobra with 20k miles for 18,500 almost 4 years ago, seems like they didnt drop that much on price.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

Read above please

I was talking about the interiors. Not the mechanics or performance. Try reading the whole thread next time and my earlier posts. Reading>You

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
03-04
Forged internals
Modibility
WAY better styling.
t-56
better irs

should I keep going?

better clutch
better heads
higher base hp
supercharged
nicer seats
better handling
newer car
better color choice
that is all.

Better Half Shafts*
Better Differential*
Better Hood
Better Cams
Better Fuel System
Better Radiator
Better Shocks,Struts and Springs
Better A Arms out front (way beefier)

*Sonic, I know you said IRS, but I figured you were talking Bushings and such ;-)

I'm sure there's even a few more we missed, but the point here is that SVT did all it could to really upgrade the entire car.

In my opinion, for the money you're talking; It truly is a no brainer.
Saleen? Meh

G/L :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread