What would happen?-Job related

JMoraru

Established Member
I am about to go talk to management at work about my availability. I am a part time employee in for a large retailer. I have taken the past 2 weeks off to help around the house and stuff with our new daughter. I used to average anywhere from 25-38hrs a week and had a pretty open schedule. Now im going to have to limit my schedule big time and only be able to work Tuesday and Thursday. I think they may not let the slide because they are trying to inforce some new rule that part time employees must be available every day of the weekend. The management at our store has changed in the past month and this might hurt me because my old managers really liked me, but these dont really know me. I have been with the company for almost 4 years.

I really dont want to ruin my relationship with the company, but i was wondering what can they do if that is my availability? Would they lay me off and would that make me eligible for unemployment? Would i be forced to either be available or quit on my own will? I hope they can work with me, but i am kinda doubting it.

Oh yea and its not because im a lazy...my fiance has to work full time when she goes back to work and im a full time student and we have noone in our area who could babysit and it be worth while.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
its not likely that its going to be a layoff, a layoff is if they let you go because they didnt need and didnt rehire someone for your position. Catering to your schedule and not someone elses would likely leave them open to lawsuit, they will probably let you go. Unemployment law is different from state to state so no idea if that would make you able to collect or not

1996slowbra

Established Member
I would say that really depends on who your boss is, i used to work valet about 2 days a week back when i was a frshmen in college, my old boss was completely fine with that. However he ended up getting promoted and a new general manager came in, and without even talking to me, laid me off. The only way i found out that i lost my job was when he called me to come in and return my uniform... which i never did

I think it really boils down to how flexible your new management wants to be, and if your availability coincides with how they want to manage their employees. The new management may want all part time staff to act as on-call (as yous said) employees in which case you may very well find yourself out of a job. Hopefully your seniority with the company will give you some sort of clout when it comes to that.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
two days a week limits their use for you, I know its not your fault but if you can try and find some extra hours your available. Maybe those days are understaffed and you will be ok. Hard to say

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
just get fired, regardless of the reason you will be eligible for unemployment.

Satyr

Established Member
just get fired, regardless of the reason you will be eligible for unemployment.

Been reading the news lately about our economy? It's shit. Unemployment is part of the reason why.

If you're capable to work (OP is) and you have a job but are going to get fired from it because you are not willing to be flexible, you should not be able to collect unemployment.

OP: Find a babysitter/daycare and get back to your job. You should have little trouble in finding a place that will be relatively inexpensive and flexible to your schedule. That way, you can keep your job and only have to pay for X amount of babysitting.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Usually the only thing the state will award unemployment for is a layoff. If youre simply not able to work the days your employer needs you, you will be terminated or forced to quit.

I was fired for misconduct and applied for shits n giggles but CA laughed at it, as they rightly should.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Usually the only thing the state will award unemployment for is a layoff. If youre simply not able to work the days your employer needs you, you will be terminated or forced to quit.

I was fired for misconduct and applied for shits n giggles but CA laughed at it, as they rightly should.

Sent from my iPhail using Tapatalk while doing 90 on the freeway and streetracing through traffic. What now?

thats why anything goverment or job related i check the box that says i am "latino".

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Kansas is a right to work state. But I got let go from a shady company acting like it was having layoffs that they contested saying I (and about half the workforce) were actually fired. The state mediator I met with saw through the bs immediately and noticed a pattern of this company doing this, that was quickly reported to her superiors. A company that is possibly scaming the state out of paying the higher unemployment insurance that they would have to pay to the state if we were laid off, but not if we were fired. I got full benefits, but within a week I had another job. Lol.

My best guess for you is that they will do everything they can to make you quit, if they do not let you go outright.

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
thats why anything goverment or job related i check the box that says i am "latino".

Kinda off-topic, but at my work we had an ex-employee threaten to sue because the management didn't have any black people hired on. About 85% of the store's crew is Latino/Hispanic descent, including that dumbass.

JMoraru

Established Member
Would losing the 16 hours really hurt?

it not really that it will hurt me as much as an extra couple hundred a month would help. i was hoping to move up with the company, but now i got in a bit a of a argument with the new management, so maybe i should just go..

another question..can i be fired for calling out when i have sick time available, but the management says i "have to" come in?

wildride02gt

Established Member
technically, you can be fired for just about anything. most firings happen this way, not for outright illegal or dumb shit. the ACTUAL reason they fire you and the reason the put on paper are totally different. most states are an "at will" work states. that means you are working at your will, and they are employing you at their will. companies nowadays can pretty much hire and fire as they please, using various reasons to cover the real reason.

i was fired once from a job due to an "exceptional amount of medical appointments and issues." I am a disabled vet, and have regular appts. at the VA that I co-ordinated with my schedule to make them as unobtrusive as possible. my boss told me to my face that i was being fired due to my disability and medical issues, but the paperwork said it was for "personality conflicts and conflict of interest"

Users who are viewing this thread