What would a salvage title GT500 be worth??

Venom1320

Banned by Bacon
Established Member
Saw a GT500 with a salvage title and made me wonder what they'd really be worth.

Lets assume it's been fixed and has no evidence of frame damage.

Any idea what it'd realistically be worth?:shrug:

StreetProvenTQ

Established Member
Well if its salvage its probably 99% chance it has frame (ie replaced quarter(s), inner apron damage, etc) and if you know what your looking for its very easy to find. Unless it was a flood car which is just as bad. Look for pretty obvious paint lines, bolts being turned and aftermarket welds marks where the quarters meet up with the B pillars. Check the pinch rails for clamp marks. Some body shops are getting better at covering up little things like this but they always miss something.

Usually cut the value of a salvaged title car in half so I would say 17-18ish is probably a good deal if its complete and fixed.

Problem is if you ever try to resale the car you will have to disclose this and in 2-3 years it will be worth about 8-10k so probably not the best investment. Just my .02

Venom1320

Banned by Bacon
Established Member
Well if its salvage its probably 99% chance it has frame (ie replaced quarter(s), inner apron damage, etc) and if you know what your looking for its very easy to find. Unless it was a flood car which is just as bad. Look for pretty obvious paint lines, bolts being turned and aftermarket welds marks where the quarters meet up with the B pillars. Check the pinch rails for clamp marks. Some body shops are getting better at covering up little things like this but they always miss something.

Usually cut the value of a salvaged title car in half so I would say 17-18ish is probably a good deal if its complete and fixed.

Problem is if you ever try to resale the car you will have to disclose this and in 2-3 years it will be worth about 8-10k so probably not the best investment. Just my .02

$17-18k seems low, no?:shrug: I figured $25k or about that.

I just passed up a totally SMASHED 04 cobra that had NO HOPE of ever being fixed, but had a good drivetrain for $8500 and I was told that was pretty cheap. I got like 10 PM's about it saying if I didn't take it to pass on the info.

Seems like a GT500 would go for much more if it were clean & repaired, salvage or not. It's basically a $60k car new. I don't see a GT500 going for $10k EVER, even the drivetrain's going to be worth more than that in a few years.

I didn't want one as investment, but I was thinking if I could get one in the lower $20's that was straight but had a bad title I'd get it, mod it, and enjoy it. Wanted to see if that was feasible...

Or maybe a higher mileage one for $25k? I dunno...

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
17-18k you can buy them wrecked all day. Sometimes in the 20s depending on the damage. When they are fixed i have seen them between 25-32k. If you can pick one up in good shape for 25k id buy it.

Venom1320

Banned by Bacon
Established Member
17-18k you can buy them wrecked all day. Sometimes in the 20s depending on the damage. When they are fixed i have seen them between 25-32k. If you can pick one up in good shape for 25k id buy it.

NICE! Any advice on where to look? I never see any really, and this one was too much according to what everyone's saying.

Brian Z.

Established Member
They had one for sale around my area for $27,500. Dont know if he sold it or got his asking price. Was hit on the passanger side I think.

He sold it. I'm not sure of the price but it was sold for between $25k and $27k. I tried to buy it but someone local beat me to it. Very minimal damage but it had high miles (22k). It was in the color and stripe combo I really wanted though and had some nice mods.

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
I have a 07 vista blue car that is all done. 800 miles, salvage title. its pretty much like brand new. 30000.00 Going on ebay this week.

The are selling wrecked with light damage for 22500-27000 still and the destroyed ones go for 14000-20000. remember the motor trans combo alone is worth 13500 all day long.

StreetProvenTQ

Established Member
$17-18k seems low, no?:shrug: I figured $25k or about that.

I just passed up a totally SMASHED 04 cobra that had NO HOPE of ever being fixed, but had a good drivetrain for $8500 and I was told that was pretty cheap. I got like 10 PM's about it saying if I didn't take it to pass on the info.

Seems like a GT500 would go for much more if it were clean & repaired, salvage or not. It's basically a $60k car new. I don't see a GT500 going for $10k EVER, even the drivetrain's going to be worth more than that in a few years.

I didn't want one as investment, but I was thinking if I could get one in the lower $20's that was straight but had a bad title I'd get it, mod it, and enjoy it. Wanted to see if that was feasible...

Or maybe a higher mileage one for $25k? I dunno...

If you just want it for personal pleasure then its worth what you want to pay for it. But everyone on this site buys and sells theirs cars at some point or another. So when you do decide to sell it will be very hard unless its really cheap. A salvaged title car will never be anywhere worth what market value brings no matter whats under the hood. Its almost worth more to part out... thats why I said cut it in half. Plus most finance companies will not finance a car with a branded title such as salvage.

Thats what brings the value of any salvage title car down.

Think about it this way its salvage for a reason must have taken a good hit to be determinded salvage. If you straighten out a paper clip and try to put it back to its orignal form the metal is not as strong and stressed again it will probably break.

Last edited:

res0n0xg

Established Member
I have a 07 vista blue car that is all done. 800 miles, salvage title. its pretty much like brand new. 30000.00 Going on ebay this week.

The are selling wrecked with light damage for 22500-27000 still and the destroyed ones go for 14000-20000. remember the motor trans combo alone is worth 13500 all day long.

why are you still here trying to pawn that off for 30k? if you can supposedly part it out for so much you better do it.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Fixed salvage title vehicles will sell for 60-70% of actual value.

not really, last summer we fixed a 08 red with white stripes with 100 miles on her salvage title payed 22k for it took a passenger side hit lower and we had to replace basically all the floor pans except the driver side. with 6k in repair and labor we sold her for 36k back on copart, some guy bought it from n.c. right now we just got another 08 with 6k on the clock white with blue stripes salvage took a front end hit didnt touch the motor and that we paid for 17.5k on iaa. looking to get 28k-30k for that one whoever is interested. located in central ny may post pics as soon as she is fixed.

FlaHP

Established Member
If you can get an 08 for $38 and an 09 for $41 there is no way a salvage could be in the 30s. Maybe mid 20s.

less people will be buying the running gears for 13k plus since things are bad and more totals will be hitting the yards. I see running gears under 10k in a year. If the 2011 motor happens the deals on running gears will be even better.

Venom1320

Banned by Bacon
Established Member
Ok, thanks for the insight guys...I have to see where I want to go from here. I've come down to 3 cars and one will be the car I "settle down" with, I go through cars like people change haircuts. I'm trying to find my perfect car, then i'll stop. I think my final 3 come to 2 Fords and a Chevy...Sonic Blue Terminator, Tungsten Grey GT500, or a Machine Silver C5 Z06. Decisions decisions...

I decided I won't pay upper $20k or almost $30k range for a salvage title, no matter how light the hit. Another few thousand will get me a clean title that, as someone said, will resell higher later on if I sell it. I may wind up waiting until the 2010 hits, and then everyone will be selling their old one for cheap to buy them, just like with the C5 to C6 migration now.

I figure I'll be able to come up with half or maybe even more than half, then finance the rest. What's that one color, tungsten grey or something like that? GOD is that beautiful!!

Think $35k would be realistic for a clean title hardtop soon? I think they're still in the 40's on ebay.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Think about it this way its salvage for a reason must have taken a good hit to be determinded salvage. If you straighten out a paper clip and try to put it back to its orignal form the metal is not as strong and stressed again it will probably break.

You have to be stupid to believe that. That is not true at all. It maybe just as strong if not strong because you can add welds.

MK1

Established Member
YOu can get an 09 GT500 on ebay for 42k right now. The price of GT's are falling, they arnt the only muscle cars on the block anymore. If you pay over sticker for a used one your nuts.
Buying salvaged has its benefits, if you plan on keeping it for a long time then get a salvage, if only 1-3 years the value will be greatly affected and you could lose your ass.

Users who are viewing this thread