What will Ford do with the used stock traded in wheels?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Not sure, I think Ford will use them for something like a "special" option. Like what ford did with the 99-01 Cobra hood. I see more and more V6 mustangs at the dealership with the old cobra hood. Does anyone have any info on that? Is it because of the canceled production of the cobra in 00 and 02, and Ford had alot of extra hoods or what?

And I could be wrong about this but, I think I saw the 99-01 cobra rims now availible (different center caps though) as an option for the new GT's.

03'Darin

Established Member
Ford won't put used parts on a new car. They will probobaly sell the wheels t one of the companys they have dealt with in the past on surplus parts. Diversified products from Mich. is one of the more common ones.

Fat chance of getting a set from a company for around $300. They will most likely get close to $500 bucks a set for them. Should be about market value on that size and finish of wheel.

I spoke to one of the guys at SVT when they were putting the chrome wheel program together and was told the reason they put the $240(cheap) price on keeping the origional wheels was because they didn't want them back.

martinj4

I believe that the 99/01 cobra hood is actually standard on the 2003 v-6 mustangs. I remember hearing this somewhere and I have seen them on quite a few v-6's cruising around town. It kind of sucks for people like me with a 99 or 01, but when I think about it...it's all about whats under the hood! I will probably upgrade in the near future though, I think I will go with the 2000 R hood cause i think it looks sweet!!!

GreyCobra_03

Lurch
Established Member
the above is true, I asked about that and they said that it is the new v-6 hood. now chicks look even sexier while driving their v-6...

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I can't imagine why any one would sell their old wheels back to Ford for $240.

You should be able to get twice that on eBay.

-Brian

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
03 Darin-- have you heard a reason why the V6 mustangs now have the 99 cobra hood?

03'Darin

Established Member
No. But it is a pretty common practice at Ford to use parts they already produced for other models. They do that because it saves money. Your biggest cost of producing something is the design and molds to produce it. Once they have that done....the more they make the cheaper the cost per item is.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Does it have anything to do with the canceled production of the 00 and 02 cobras? Did they have a surplus of parts? Kinda takes the "special" out of Special Vehicle Team you know?

03'Darin

Established Member
highmiles,

When you asked what Ford was doing with the wheels i assumed(i know....bad) that you were looking to buy them for around $300 bucks from them. Keep in mind Ford has to pay the shipping to get the wheels back and they don't sell used parts. Ford will end up selling those wheels to someone else who will intern sell them for a profit.
I think you are correct in watching e-bay. Also keep an eye on the marketplace(on this site) and any local swap sheet you may have. Somebody out there will pay the $240 to keep their wheels just to turn around and try to sell them for some profit.
IMPO i think it will still be hard to find a set of these for around the $300 range. Just MPO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread