What will 4.30's do??

1Bad98Cobra

Established Member
ill make this short. i got a 98 with just magnaflow cat back system, im gettin 4.30's installed 2-morrow. i ran 14.032@103 with just the cat backs. what do u think i could pull off with 4.30's and some Drag radials??? also what kinda D/R should i go with?? and what other mods might i need 2 accompany the gears?

Poisond281

Hiding in the shadows.
Established Member
Originally posted by 1Bad98Cobra
ill make this short. i got a 98 with just magnaflow cat back system, im gettin 4.30's installed 2-morrow. i ran 14.032@103 with just the cat backs. what do u think i could pull off with 4.30's and some Drag radials??? also what kinda D/R should i go with?? and what other mods might i need 2 accompany the gears?
I have seen a few 96-98 Cobra's go 12's with 4.30s, off-road H, pullies and a shifter. (with slicks of course)

I wouldn't aim that high right off the bat, but it's an attainable goal. :)

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I think you should run low low 13s with drag radials and 4.30s. At least that is what I am leaning towards. But 12s are a possiablity. I would go with some Nitto drag radials. They work well with street and strip. Other drag radials may be better at the track, but will not last you on the street.

1Bad98Cobra

Established Member
well, whats the difference performance and gas mileage wise in 4.10's and 4.30's? how much more would i get from a 4.30 gear than a 4.10??

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
From what I have heard it is not even noticeable from a mileage standpoint. I'm sure there is a difference but not so much that you shouldnt go with a 4.30.

4.10's arent a good Drag gear for NA 4V Cobras. you have to shift to 4th right before the traps. 4.30s are a better street/strip gear.

My $0.02

A

snakebitten_lv

Established Member
i love my 4.30's...didn't even really notice a difference in gas mileage between these and the stock 3.27's...

averaged about 21-22 mpg on the freeway...3200 rpm's at 80 mph in 5th gear...

Evil84Stang

Established Member
With a blown car is it better to go with the 4.10's, I've been told this before so I have a set in the box, but want to make sure?

Sorry don't mean to hyjack the thread.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Your original question, What will 4.30s do?
Make your car a whole lot more FUN to drive.
Everybody pretty much answered the rest.

DarickPSU

Mick in a Mystic
Established Member
1BAD my mods are 4.30s, hi flow hpipe, flowmasters, and cat back. I ran a best of 13.54 on street tires. Look around the same.
D.

blk96SVT

Established Member

I think you should be able to get some low 13's with DR's. If you want to hook really good at the track then get some BFG drag radials, if not, go with the Nitto DR's. You should look into either rebuilding your rearend, or buying a whole new carrier just to be on the safe side. You will love the 4.30's!:burnout:

1Bad98Cobra

Established Member
mid 12's???? wow... blk98svt, what should i replace in the rear end??? and i know ur gonna bash me on this but if i remove the air silencer dont i need a k&n filter??

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
dangit..I just realized I said 12...I ment mid 13s

I'm stupid, and don't you forget that. :bash: :bash:

That's my fautl, sorry bout that.

Last edited:

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I run low 13's with bfg drag's and 4.10's. I snapped the axles with a 5000 launch so be carefull I have since then upgraded to eaton posi 31 spline moser's, and some c-clip elims. I am running a stiff suspension set up not suitable for drag racing I did click of a 13.0@110. I too am switching to 4.30's as we speak my car is in the shop right now I am doing this for my future t-56 upgrade.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
if your putting a t56 in, get a 4.56 get. you'll need it with the 2.66 1st gear ont he t56 :)

Last edited:

blk96SVT

Established Member
mid 12's???? wow... blk98svt, what should i replace in the rear end??? and i know ur gonna bash me on this but if i remove the air silencer dont i need a k&n filter??

You should at least replace the differential (I put in an Eaton 31 spline unit) and the axles as well (Moser 31 splines here). Its not much, but its a little added security especially when I get to the track next time with my Nittos. I plan on doing some 4000 rpm launches if not higher.

If you do remove the silencer it is recommended that you replace your air filter with an aftermarket filter (K&N).

juiced96snake

BOSS 2511
Established Member
I was thinking about 4.56's but I plan on superchargering it in the future. Plus I was told that 4.30's would be better suited with the N2O. With the way gas prices are getting I dont know how much longer I can afford to drive my car. Might have to buy a beater 4 banger and keep the Cobra in the garage....

I got the eaton and 31 spline moser axles with c-clip elims I havent got to launch with the slicks on yet because after I got the car back from the chop the diff leaks around the pinion seal...it didnt used to do that before...I am in an on going battle with the garage trying to fix it...hence the new set of gears...we have tried replacing the pinion seals 3 times now but still it leaks. I was told in another forum that even a slight scratch or ding in the pinion will cause it to leak...they were the same gears that were in it when the axle broke and they said it took a big hammer to get the axles out...I am just hoping that the leak is all fixed now with the gear swap...I went with a diff garage this time, so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread