What wheels & tires to go with???

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
well i lowered her yesterday on a set of cobra jet lowering springs(m-5300-r), steeda panhard rod, and steeda LCAs... now time for a set of wheels

realy thinking about the RaceStars 17s in front and 15s in back but...

wanting to get some opinions on:
RaceStars, 2010 gt500s, or silver tsw valencias

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
i go to the dragstrip 3-4 times a month soo...

cjspringson50.jpg

50cjsprings.jpg

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I went with 17x4.5 Weld Racing Magnum 2.0's in front and 15x10 Weld Racing Magnum III's in back. 2005-'09 12.4 GT disc were used in place of the Brembo's and the Magnum III's clear the OEM calipers. The Cobra Jet Weld 15x10 Magnum 2.0's DO NOT clear the OEMs. I use 325/50R15s Mickeys in front and a 185 in front. I will post pics when complete.....

Sway bar relocation kit is required to run a 15x10 and even only some wheels clear the OEM calipers. Here is the Weld Racing Magnum 2.0 and Magnum III.

http://weldracing.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/7154/image/613/

http://weldracing.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/7140/image/255/

This is just me but, I would settle on a wheel and tire combo before lowering. Clearance could be an issue if your wheel and tire are more that 28 inches tall. The Brembo 19x9s on a 255/35R19 and is 26.1 inches if I remember correctly... However, Ford Racing Cobra Jet springs are fantastic I hear. Your current tire height should be around 26 inches so keep that in mind when lowering. That gap between the rear tire and fender will close by 2 inches with just a tire change.

Last edited:

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
i run a 28x10.5 slick when i go to the track now(borrowed off 97 cobra), no clearance issues... i just took the rear sway bar off cant tell a difference on the street. But man i love the look of those welds, whats the prices like on those??

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
i run a 28x10.5 slick when i go to the track now(borrowed off 97 cobra), no clearance issues... i just took the rear sway bar off cant tell a difference on the street. But man i love the look of those welds, whats the prices like on those??

For me, the fronts were $565 a piece (listed $655) and the rears were $462. Remember, a 17 front will only fit the 2005-2009 GT 12.4 inch disc brakes and calipers... and, ONLY the Magnum III's will fit the stock 11.9 rear calipers. The Magnum 2.0's will NOT clear the OEM calipers. In order to use 15 inch wheels in all four corners and Mag 2.0's in the rear is to run Strange Drag Brakes and they are not for street :(

FUN FACTS and OBSERVATIONS:
The wheels were named "Magnum" because of the revolver like appearance. The 5 round 500 Magnum Smith & Wesson comes to mind.

The Magnum 2.0 front and Magnum III rears were used on the 2010 Cobra Jet. The rear wheels had an engraved Cobra Jet emblem on them and were exclusive to the #50 2010 Cobra Jets and how ever many rollers were sold.

The Mag 2 rear wheel looked like it would need almost an inch of back spacing. The Mag 3 has enlarged circles in the "revolver" design and has built in backspacing.

As of now, the the only remaining Magnum III's are overseas and takes 3 weeks for delivery (So I was told).

Magnum Drag Series 1 pc Front
786p_15x3.5_magnum2.0_polished_boltmt.jpg

Magnum III RT Series Rear
792p_15_magnumiiirt_polished_nbl_72_blacksquare.jpg

Magnum Drag Series 2.0 Rear
786p_15_magnum2.0rear_polished_nbl_72_blacksquare.jpg

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
they look badass, but damn thats high, think ill prolly stick to the RaceStars. Theres a lot of other things i could do to my car with that extra money that i would spend on the welds.($2000 with out tires vs 1600 every thing i need mounted and bolt them on the car)

Users who are viewing this thread