what was some of the best cars of the 80's.

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
In your opinion what where the best cars from 1980-1989. the 80's seemed to produce some of the worst cars of all time but what where the break through cars? It can be domestic or foreign.
some of my choices:

1982 mustang gt with trx package & t-tops, a top pick for one of the best looking mustangs.

mustang svo

taurus sho front wheel drive hotrod of the 80's.

TTA89

Established Member
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
1986-87 Turbobuick (Grand National, T-types, TurboTs)
87-89 5.0 LX Mustang Coupes

Those are my favs ranked in order from the 80s. I have never driven one but I hear the Intercooled Turbo Omni's were a lot of fun. The E30 M3 BMWs 88-90 I think it was are excellent cars too.

Last edited:

SVTVenom97

BlackVenom
Established Member
Big fan of the SHO here. I would also have to go with the 89 Mustang LX Notchback. Lightest of the stangs do to not having all the GT Ground Effects and had the light trunk lid instead of the heavy GT hatch. I chose the 89 for a couple of reasons. 1.) First year for mass air 2.) Fuel Injected 3.) Had the stonger pistons. (I believe they changed them in 93 to some weaker ones)

03CobraBro

Established Member
TTA89 said:
1989 Turbo Trans-Am
1986-87 Turbobuick (Grand National, T-types, TurboTs)
87-89 5.0 LX Mustang Coupes

Those are my favs ranked in order from the 80s. I have never driven one but I hear the Intercooled Turbo Omni's were a lot of fun. The E30 M3 BMWs 88-90 I think it was are excellent cars too.

+1

I also think the Porsche 944 turbos were pretty nice for their time.

Last edited:

Mach170

evangelist
Established Member
GNX, SVO, And the ........................................... Omni and GLHS chargers :)

Last edited:

SVTVenom97

BlackVenom
Established Member
Cant believe I almost forgot. Add Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and Thunderbird SuperCoupe to my list. Supercoupes came stock with 330 lb/ft of torque! That is still pretty crazy for a non-sport car even today! :rockon:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You can't go wrong with a 1982-1989 Mustang GT.

1985 was the best year for power and appearance. 1986 would have been the best but it received a whimpy FI motor.

If you don't think this was the best looking year, then you'll have a tough time arguing why the same body style (LX) was the best selling one of the bunch for nearly a decade.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
neatofrito1618 said:
Honestly, there wernt that many good cars made in the 80's IMO. :shrug:

Some of the best Fords were made in the 80's. Sure they weren't the best as far as fit and finish, but the powertrains and overall quality were great. They worked hard to get out of the 70's slump and I think they did a great job.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
05 Roush said:
Some of the best Fords were made in the 80's. Sure they weren't the best as far as fit and finish, but the powertrains and overall quality were great. They worked hard to get out of the 70's slump and I think they did a great job.
I know I wasent saying all cars from the 80's are suck, just most IMO. Like the the turbo 3.8's as previously posted, and disregard fox bodies from my previous post. ;-)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
neatofrito1618 said:
I know I wasent saying all cars from the 80's are suck, just most IMO. Like the the turbo 3.8's as previously posted, and disregard fox bodies from my previous post. ;-)

There were a ton of crappy cars during the 80's but fortunately they were short lived. Just about every Chrysler was a dud.

Many japanese cars were junk too. And the Hyundai's... :fart:

Users who are viewing this thread