What upper pulley will peg MAF?

KosherCobra

Established Member
I plan on modding slowly, so before I get the whipple or KB I want to up the power. I'm shopping for the x-pipe, cat-back, T/B and a SCT tuner. Can I go smaller than a 2.93 and be safe without pegging the MAF? I know when I get the Whipple or KB I'm going with 60# injectors, SCT MAF and some upgraded fuel system.

KosherCobra

Established Member
I think I'm going to go with a 2.80 then. I do have stage 1 cams so I don't know if that is going to make that much of a differance. I'll get the twin-screw within a few weeks after my first mod here.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Kosher - I have heard of some guys pegging their stock MAF w/ a 2.8", especially in the colder weather. I have a 2.93 and was pretty close to pegging it, myself. Mine read 4.73V at 6200 rpm and that was on a pretty hot summer day. I'm just suggesting you check it if you go that small. Don't want to see you blow another motor! Happy modding!

KosherCobra

Established Member
I'll have my car tuned with the SCT either by JDM or I'll head up the road and see Superchips. In the meantime I guess I can get the basic SCT flash tuner which is meant for the 2.93? It should be a safe tune and when I get either the whipple or KB I'll have my car tuned by a pro to tweak it out.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Well, if you really want a 2.8” now and you’re definitely going back to a twin-screw again in the future, you could always go ahead and put the SCT meter on now. And since you're getting an SCT flasher, I believe you can get their MAF transfer function included with it, so you’d be all set. Nice and safe for now, and all set up for the future when you slap that bigger blower on later. Just a thought.

FullSize03

Established Member
pegged

I am getting my blower ported with a 2.8 and cai, should I go ahead and upgrade the meter? If so, what brands and size are good?

BigBill

Spray it
Established Member
Wings65288 said:
what does pegging the MAF mean?

The car reads the incoming air via the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. The voltage is the output. Its max is 5.00 volts.

The computer uses that incoming air calculation to control timing, idle, fuel...

When its peged the computer no longer can calculate what it needs based on the auctal air, it uses what its learned. Problem is it cant compensate for things like weather.

So you can tune a car with a maxed MAF but it will only be safe if the conditions are the same (Basicly not realistic) Like on a dyno w/ very little load, or weather differnces

So datalog your MAF voltage, and if you plan to make 500RWHP or more you need a new MAF. And a New Maf you need computer tuning.
:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread