what type / brand of home air filter do you use and how much do you pay?

What kind of filters do you use in your home and how much do you pay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
I'm in the filter business and while I was in my local Wal-Mart yesterday I couldn't help but notice how many people were buying the 3M ultra allergen filters at $16.00 each! That's crazy! Just wondering if any SVTP members were doing the same. (I figure most SVT owners are anal about their cars, so they probably would be about their homes too.)

I've got an alternative to those outrageously priced filters that have the same filtration rating and filter life for less than $6.00 each on ebay. (honest hard-working seller with over 1,000 positive feedbacks, selling on volume instead of high price) BUYFILTERSONLINE is the seller name if anyone wanted to check them out. Or, here's a link taking you directly to the items for sale page: click here for $16.00 filters for $6.00 each!

Moderators....Yes, it's a little self promotion, but it's not car parts nor will it interfere with any vendors.....JUST TRYING TO HELP OUT THE SVTP COMMUNITY and I've got the ebay feedback to ensure everything's legit.

Anybody else have products or access to products to help out other SVTP members? (Maybe we should have a new category started?)

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
But, in actuality, the electronic types don't stop nearly the same amount of dust/dirt as a good media filter. Also, the particles they do capture are relatively large. My main business is selling to hospital and pharmaceutical companies where air cleanliness is very critical. If electrostatic filters worked, they would use them, but they don't.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I think you're referring to a different type of filter. It's not the traditional "electrostatic" type, which relies on polyester fibers to generate a charge with the airflow. This one is electronic and uses tungsten filaments to generate the charge and grounding plates to attract the dirt.

The hospital grade units can capture particles as small as a virus.

This filter is the same technology used in a lot of hospitals, except on a smaller scale.

Here is a quote from Honeywell's site:
A media style filter will filter particles down to .5 microns which include allergens (plant spores, pollen) and dust. An electronic air cleaner uses negatively charged ions to remove irritants as small as .01 microns which would include cigarette smoke and particles so small, you can't see them with the naked eye.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
NyteByte said:
I think you're referring to a different type of filter. It's not the traditional "electrostatic" type, which relies on polyester fibers to generate a charge with the airflow. This one is electronic and uses tungsten filaments to generate the charge and grounding plates to attract the dirt.

The hospital grade units can capture particles as small as a virus.

This filter is the same technology used in a lot of hospitals, except on a smaller scale.

Here is a quote from Honeywell's site:

NO, actually I'm referring to the exact type of filter that you have. In fact, I replace those with media filters for people all of the time once they realize that they simply don't work.

As far as the Honeywell claim, yes, it's true that they can capture particles that small. But, so will a 2x4 piece of lumber if you set it inside your duct work, pull it out and examine the particles found on it. Also, the super cheap fiberglass filters that sell for 50 cents each also capture particles as small as .1 micron too!

The issue at hand (and the trickery behind the wording) is WHAT PERCENT of particles that size does a filter capture? See what I'm saying? I've been in the filter business for nearly 18 years now and have all the engineering and testing data to show how well virtually any type of filter works.

This is why your type of electronic filter doesn't carry a MERV rating.
Minimum
Efficiency
Reporting
Value

The MERV rating tests a filters ability to capture particulates of various sizes and measures the % of capture based upon those micron sizes. An electronic filter (like yours) would fail miserably if subjected to that test.

In fact, here's a write-up by ASHRAE which is the engineering body that governs over air quality:
Electronic style filtration methods.
While this filter is initially expensive, it can be used for a number of years before needing replacement. Tests show that this type of filter is not very effective at capturing smaller, respirable particles from the air. In laboratory independent tests these filters initially provide good filtration results. However, once there is a light coating of dust or slight humidity, the ability to capture dust and dirt falls to levels comparable to a cheap fiberglass panel filter. Basically meaning that it will stop bugs and leaves while allowing the vast majority of dust particles to pass through. If these filters could produce results anywhere near the claims that are made, they would be able to subject them to a standard MERV test.

And finally....I make a living selling air filtration to hospitals. I sell to many of them throughout the state and I have yet to find one single hospital that has an electronic style filter anywhere in any air handling system. Not a single one in 18 years of experience in the field.

cobra1993svt

Established Member
3M filtrete filter, About 10 bucks but well worth it with the wifes and my allergies.I tried the $1 filters but they hardly ever came out dirty.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
cobra1993svt said:
3M filtrete filter, About 10 bucks but well worth it with the wifes and my allergies.I tried the $1 filters but they hardly ever came out dirty.

That's why you should check out my auction link (see first post above) and save yourself some big bucks for the same filters! :beer:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
So are there any "washable" type filters out there that are any good? Something like THIS ONE?

I change my filter every month, so if there's a quality washable one available, I'd certainly consider it.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Top_Fuel said:
So are there any "washable" type filters out there that are any good? Something like THIS ONE?

I change my filter every month, so if there's a quality washable one available, I'd certainly consider it.

That filter is basically junk as far as capturing particles. They have some crazy claims as far as the filter removing odors too. The only way to effectively remove odors is to use carbon....and lots of it!

That filter is a rip off in the highest form! I can get you the same thing (if you really want a filter that stops little more than bugs and leaves from going through) for around $30.00...which is still way too high of a price for what you're getting, but that's what my factories charge for them.

Put it this way, that filter when subjected to the same tests as a good MERV 11 rated filter (like the 3M ultra allergen or my filters on ebay) it stops 10% of the test dust thrown at it....and my filters stop around 60%.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Thanks for the info. You probably saved me from buying one of those "washable" filter from Lowes! :thumbsup:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
WOLFGANGSTA said:
The issue at hand (and the trickery behind the wording) is WHAT PERCENT of particles that size does a filter capture? See what I'm saying? I've been in the filter business for nearly 18 years now and have all the engineering and testing data to show how well virtually any type of filter works.

All I know is from what I've researched and from what I've experienced. My electronic air cleaner has greatly relieved my allergy symptoms and has noticeably reduced the amount of dust which collects on furniture around the house.

I also notice that when the wife burns candles, the filter's pickup elements will turn black as it collects the smoke particles from the candles.

It's true that these units require much more maintenance than a media filter. I clean the emitter wires about once or twice per week and clean the filter elements once a month.

I'm not an expert and I don't claim to know more than you, but I did some careful research before buying a filter system for my home. What I found was that the MERV test really isn't valid for an electronic air filter because of the nature of how the test is performed. With these types of filters, MERV ratings do not provide a universal indication of performance under real-world conditions.

As I remember, the MERV test is done by injecting a mist full of 12 different sized particles. The amount of particles get measured before they enter the filter and then after they pass through it. The difference in particle density is then recorded. It's a pretty static test that isn't valid with an electronic air cleaning system since an electronic system doesn't use a "media" to capture particles.

Also, an electronic air cleaner is designed to operate continuously, so the air must circulate through it more than once before it will capture everything.

A more applicable test would be the Dust Spot Efficiency test. In this test, an electronic air cleaner would have a 90% efficiency rating. The only other filter type that's better are HEPA filters with a efficiency rating of 98%.

Here is some good information I found about different filter types:
1. Panel filters (1" thick)

* Dust spot efficiency less than 5%; MERV of <1; filters particles over 10.0 micron (e.g. pollen, dust mites)
* Provide very little protection to AC equipment, and virtually none for air quality
* Change monthly
* Not recommended

2. Electrostatic filters (1" thick)

* Dust spot efficiency 10%-15%; MERV of 1—2; filters particles over 10 micron (e.g. pollen, dust mites)
* Clean once per month
* The electrostatic charge plays almost no role in particle-capture
* Not recommended

3. Pleated-media filters (1"—6" thick)

* Dust spot efficiency 20%—75%; MERV of 8—12; filters particles 3.0—10.0 micron (e.g. mold spores)
* Deep pleated-media filters (4" or more) require more space and have more effect on air-flow
* Change every six months to a year (service technician can check and change it at bi-annual equipment maintenance check-up)
* Highly recommended

4. Electronic air cleaners

* Dust spot efficiency 90%; filters particles .30—1.0 (e.g. bacteria, tobacco smoke, insecticide dust)
* Must be custom-built to fit in return air duct
* Need frequent maintenance
* Very expensive
* Caution--may produce small amounts of ozone, which is irritating to some people

5. HEPA filters

* Dust spot efficiency 98%; filters particles < 0.30 (e.g. viruses, all combustion smoke)
* Require special high pressure blowers and ducts; used for "clean rooms", not typically used in homes

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
The only problem with that test measurement also holds true to the MERV testing...it's done in a lab and accelerated over a quick period. Real life usage can be drastically different. However, I do see that you are doing the right thing by cleaning it very frequently. From the testing results that I've seen on your type of unit, the ability to capture particulate dramatically drops off once a slight coating of dust gets onto the collectors.

You do know that your unit creates ozone, right? See this link by the United States EPA
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
in the report they write....
Third, ozone does not remove particles (e.g., dust and pollen) from the air, including the particles that cause most allergies. However, some ozone generators are manufactured with an "ion generator" or "ionizer" in the same unit. An ionizer is a device that disperses negatively (and/or positively) charged ions into the air. These ions attach to particles in the air giving them a negative (or positive) charge so that the particles may attach to nearby surfaces such as walls or furniture, or attach to one another and settle out of the air.

This goes back to what I explain to people in my auction about the tricky claims that manufacturers make. Yes, it will clean the air you breath into your lungs....but all the particles are simply charged and then stick to your furniture, walls, carpet, windows. So, yes, it did clean the air, but it put all of the dirt in your living space and onto all the surfaces!

This is why you watch the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze lady on the commercial wipe the collector plate clean and there's not even a spoon full of dust on her sponge! There's 20 times that amount of dirt in just one square inch of a good MERV 11 pleated filter after it's been in use for 5 days! So, given the huge amount of "missing dirt" that should be on the collector plate if it really did clean your air...where did it go? Like I mention above, the dirt is stuck onto your walls, carpet and furnishings.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Slightly off topic, but what's your opinion of air duct cleaning? Is that service over-rated?

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
In my opinon, highly over rated. The dust that's in the ducts isn't going anywhere. Removing it is pretty much a waste of money. If the dust was shedding off and getting into the air, wouldn't the ducts clean themselves and be dust free? In addition, the dust does act as a bit of a filter, capturing particles that flow through the ducts.

The moment a new home is built and the air system is turned on, the ducts will start collecting dust. They will only get to a certain "fullness" before the airflow is greater than the adhesion of the dust contained within. From that point on, they will basically hold the same amount of dust for the remainder of the homes' life.

It's similar to stopping to dry off your car while you're driving during a rain storm. Sure, drying it gets the water off, but when you pull onto the road again and get moving, it's wet all over again. In addition, the car will only get so wet and then the water simply gets blown off as you drive....it doesn't get wetter and wetter.

Silly analogy, but you get the point.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Spaceguard media filter here. I used to change them once a year but lately I've gone 18-24 months. No kids, no pets, no smokers. I'm very happy with them. Have 4 at the office/shop also. Inserts are about $34.00 and I stock up at the 20% off sale.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Am I missing something? That ebay link had 4 different options, at $69 buy it now prices. Thought these were $6 filters.

Mark

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
ac427cobra said:
Spaceguard media filter here. I used to change them once a year but lately I've gone 18-24 months. No kids, no pets, no smokers. I'm very happy with them. Have 4 at the office/shop also. Inserts are about $34.00 and I stock up at the 20% off sale.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

I can get them to you cheaper and with a higher MERV 11 rating. I believe the OEM Spacegards are only MERV 10. Let me know when you need more and I'll hook you up, buddy, pal, fellow SVTP member!

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Y2KSVT said:
Am I missing something? That ebay link had 4 different options, at $69 buy it now prices. Thought these were $6 filters.

Mark

You're just missing that you get 12 filters for that price...not just one.

For the $69.00 you get a full carton of 12 filters! $69.00 divided by 12 filters is only $5.75 per filter....for the same MERV 11 rating as the stores (Home Depot and Wal-mart) filters that are $16.00 each! No fancy individual packaging, no big store overhead = big savings!

Users who are viewing this thread