What Twin Screw Would You Suggest To Make Around 650rwhp/650rwtq

The Mongoose

Established Member
Thinking hard about selling my 02 WS6 to get into a 03/04 Cobra, so I've been doing a lot of searching on here, so my head is spinning. What twin screw do you guys think would get me in the 650/700 hp/tq ballpark? I've read good things about the Whipple 2.9 and 3.4, but what about a Kenne Bell or TVS? I would love to get some input on anyone making those type of numbers and what they are running.

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
I think fuel choice plays a big part too. Overall investment should be a concern. I whip 2.3 on E-85 makes that easy all day long. A TVS 2.3 is pretty awesome too for the street. They make great torque! On pump the whip 2.9 would be my best bet. You can make 600+ with a whip 2.3 or KB 2.2 or TVS 2.3.

mach1033

Established Member
With complete supporting mods and pump gas my vote will go to Whipple 2.9 or the KB 2.8. The TVS will prob get close to that mark on pump but not sure. The 2.3 on pump will get you close to 625 along with the KB 2.6.

77cobra

Established Member
KB 2.8 mammoth makes that and also alot more just need the fuel supporting mods, mine made 630hp on 15lbs

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
My VMP TVS 2.3 with a Dragon TB, LTs and 93 made 657/621.
With E85 and a GT500 TB it made 720/680

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
i think any of the blowers you listed would reach those goals. the biggest factor to consider would be the fuel used. if you do e85 then i'd go vmp tvs, cheaper price tag and will deliver a very good amount of torque to almost match the hp. if you're doing pump gas then go whipple 2.9.

The Mongoose

Established Member
Well, E-85 is available here in mid Missouri, so I could go that route. I know I'll need to upgrade the fuel system regardless, but is it more expensive to do so in order to run E-85? Supporting mods I plan on doing would be long tubes, off road X or H pipe, etc. I really like the sound the KB 2.2 makes. Do the Wipple or bigger KB blowers whine like that?

I was waiting for someone to comment on the username. Guess if I do ditch the WS6 for a Cobra, I'll need to change that.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Well, E-85 is available here in mid Missouri, so I could go that route. I know I'll need to upgrade the fuel system regardless, but is it more expensive to do so in order to run E-85? Supporting mods I plan on doing would be long tubes, off road X or H pipe, etc. I really like the sound the KB 2.2 makes. Do the Wipple or bigger KB blowers whine like that?

I was waiting for someone to comment on the username. Guess if I do ditch the WS6 for a Cobra, I'll need to change that.

We are happy you are coming over from the "dark side" LOL!
While we all love the whine of the KB 2.2 that unit is old technology and hasn't been made in years.

Here is a clip of mine at the track.
VMP Performance TVS Blower for Terminator Cobras- YouTube

The Mongoose

Established Member
Yeah, I know they no longer make the KB 2.2. Can I ask this question without getting eaten alive? What are the main differences between the Whipple and KB twin screws? It's just a totally different ball game when it comes to Cobra engines and modding them. I'm totally out of my element, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for the help guys.

mdrc347

Established Member
Yeah, I know they no longer make the KB 2.2. Can I ask this question without getting eaten alive? What are the main differences between the Whipple and KB twin screws? It's just a totally different ball game when it comes to Cobra engines and modding them. I'm totally out of my element, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for the help guys.

Well this is only my opinion, but I think the main difference is that the KB costs more and performs worse. However, the KB does make a very nice scream that I love, but I still wouldn't buy one. I think most of the people that are buying KB's now are getting a good deal when buying them used.

If you are looking for a charger, I would definitely check into the VMP. They make close to the same hp as the 2.3 whipple and usually make more torque. I think they are the ideal street/strip charger. Plus, they are cheaper than the whipple. E85 with the VMP would be a nice build and would get you to 650 pretty easily. I have seen some get to 700 with this combo.

The Mongoose

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Any idea what the price difference is between the Whipple and the VMP?

I guess I need to ask this as well, but is close 700 rwhp/tq going to be ok with the stock block/internals? I know the tune is everything, so taking into account that the tune is dead on and not real radical, should I be ok?

Another question. How much of a difference in HP/TQ would I see by changing out the cams. Let's just say I went with the Crower stage 3 cams, would it be worth the cost?

Well this is only my opinion, but I think the main difference is that the KB costs more and performs worse. However, the KB does make a very nice scream that I love, but I still wouldn't buy one. I think most of the people that are buying KB's now are getting a good deal when buying them used.

If you are looking for a charger, I would definitely check into the VMP. They make close to the same hp as the 2.3 whipple and usually make more torque. I think they are the ideal street/strip charger. Plus, they are cheaper than the whipple. E85 with the VMP would be a nice build and would get you to 650 pretty easily. I have seen some get to 700 with this combo.

mdrc347

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Any idea what the price difference is between the Whipple and the VMP?

I guess I need to ask this as well, but is close 700 rwhp/tq going to be ok with the stock block/internals? I know the tune is everything, so taking into account that the tune is dead on and not real radical, should I be ok?

Another question. How much of a difference in HP/TQ would I see by changing out the cams. Let's just say I went with the Crower stage 3 cams, would it be worth the cost?

Power for the money on cams - NO. But it will keep IAT's down and lower boost levels while still improving power somewhat. If you are going to push for 700, I would consider it for the safety. But, you will gain minimal power for the money. I've also heard that the cams improve sound quite a bit.

If I were going to go to 700, I would go E85 simply because it is safer. E85 makes for cooler running with less chance of detonation. And you would have the ability to run a safer tune. Plus it would make getting to 700 easier. I'm not sure that 700 can be achieved safely without it. And even with E85, I think you would be pushing it. Some may disagree.

The VMP is usually about 300 cheaper than the whipple from a vendor that sells both, like this one.

Home page

However, a Ford racing charger which is a whipple 2.3 can be purchased from Tousley for about the same price. The vendor above offers 0% financing, which is appealing to me, but the purchase prices are slightly higher.

wesking1

Established Member

Stock block/internals will be fine just make sure you have a good tuner.. When I went to comp stage three cams i picked up around 30hp up top and 40tq but I love the way it pulls now.. Worth the cost is really something you got ask your self I think

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Could run meth as an octane boost also if you don't want to use e-85. & yes meth does work to boost the octane. Like said before any of those blowers will make the power. Cams I've heard from 30-50hp gain on them. 1200 for the cams plus install so there not cheap for little hp and a nice lope.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
TPS is also VMP TVS dealer.
I run over 700 on my stock block.
A good tune goes a long way to the longevity of a motor.

The Mongoose

Established Member
This is all some really good information. Do any of the vendors sell a "complete, everything you need" kit with superchager and all the fueling upgrades?

flyfaster1

Established Member
blowers

What 03 said... Ive had a kb 2.2, a 2.3 whipple, and a KB3.6lc. The differences b/w blowers are nominal. I prefer a whipple now, over the KBs due to shitty customer service from KB in general, not always but the majority of the time. I like the fact that the casing on the whipples dissapates heat better, and does have a quality set of rotors. However, the KB rotors have been known to be a bit better in quality, but by no means does is it enough to outweigh the two and shouldnt make someone go buy a KB over a whipple. I like both and its pure preference, I just have my preferences for getting into another whipple. Def go e85, some larger fuel pumps and injectors, larger than you would with 93 for sure. Might as well do fuel lines while youre at it. As far as cams.. Ive had two different cars with cams and will always have them on my car due to sound and added performance. I know its an extra bit of coin, but its def worth it. You dont even need a stage 3 cam.

If I really had the choice Id go twin turbo and never look back but thats not part of the discussion. Many other guys on here, more knowledgeable than myself could probably offer more of a "technical" reason for your answers but this is just my take/opinion. Oh yeah, the TVS is a great blower too, you really cant go wrong with either one of the 3 brands as far as quality.:beer:

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
This is all some really good information. Do any of the vendors sell a "complete, everything you need" kit with superchager and all the fueling upgrades?

VMP Tuning and Superchargers can get you everything you need including custom tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread