What trim is an XB-1A equal to??????

rocket5979

Established Member
Ok what i want to know is since Vortech offers different trims of its superchargers for different applications like the "S", "T", "Y" trims and such. What i want to know is Where would you all think the Powerdyne XB-1a gear driven charger falls in? I am thinking in the "S" trim category but is there anyone out there thinking different? I know it isnt "Y" trim because that is just huge. But i do want to know. Thanks.

bunk22

Established Member
The XB-1A flows up to 1200cfm/18psi (S-trim is 1000cfm/20psi). Its been a while since I've spoken with him but a local racer uses an XB-1 on his 93 LX and a T-trim on his 95 Cobra R (both cars have been in 5.0 and MM&FF). He is sponsored by Powerdyne and received his XB-1 for free, must be nice, but he said it was close to being equal to his T-trim. His experience sold me on the head unit. From my experience and dyno numbers, the XB-1 does seem to be more along the lines of an S-trim.

Last edited:

rocket5979

Established Member
Awesome. I know of very few people who have the XB-1A. The only people i know who have them is Me, You, and a local guy around here that is also on the board sometimes. Is there any way you could give me an idea of how loud the XB-1A charger is when at idle and when under boost? A sound clip would be invaluable. I just want to know what the intimidation factor would be to a car sitting next to me at a stop light would be? I have had my charger for about 2 months now but i have had to hold off on installing it because i wanted to put it in while also putting a few other things in at once too. So i have been waiting for them to come in. though they should be within the next week or so hopefully though. But either way i cannot wait to put it in and see the gains i should get. Well thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Rob

Hey could you also direct me to a website or anywhere that has a modlist for your 95 GTS? I want to see how you got to mid 400's rwhp. what psi is the charger running at to get those numbers? Any forged internals? Thanks again.

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
Unfortunetly, I don't have a sound clip of mine. I can tell you that it makes a nice whine at idle that can definitely be heard and whistles at cruise. I do get the standard what's that noise all the time? I guess that's why my 03 Cobra doesn't seem loud at all compared to my 95.

My 95GTS has the following power mods:

XB-1 (9lb pulley)
7" crank pulley (1-2psi extra boost)
powerpipe
76mm maf
65mm tb
Cobra u/l intake
36# injectors
Vortech super fmu on the way
Cobra rockers
Steeda #19 cam
GT-40Y aluminum heads
MAC 1 5/8" long-tubes, MAC pro-chamber, MAC cat-back
Custom Autologic chip

The numbers in my sig, though were technically the highest, they were not my best run. At the time, I was not running an fmu and to get the air-fuel under control, I had to bump my fuel pressure way up. My peak went up but the numbers under the curve went down. Those numbers were also achieved at 5700rpm as the spark was blown out (that problem has been fixed since). So my car is going to be tuned again soon with the addition of a super fmu. Probably not the best way but I'm on my third set of injectors (long story) so I opted to try a solid fmu. I would say my combo is definitley good for 460rwhp but my main goal is a nice safe air-fuel to keep the car healthy for a while.

rocket5979

Established Member
I got The 5.0 with the GT-40P heads and intake to match(non ported), stock cam, And will be running a 90 mm MAS, 255 lph walbro in tank fuel pump, 42 lb/hr injectors(36's seem hard to find any more) Diablo dual program custom chip(for timing and A/F chart calib.) And of course the XB-1A S/C with the 9 lb pulley. And i already have dual free flowing exhaust. And i will be getting a custom made powerpipe here soon too. I estimate this to be able to run me to about 360 flywheel horsepower or so. think this is in the ballpark of what you think it would be? I was thinking of running a little wet shot of nitrous too like 50 or 75 shot. But then i was thinking that for the price of that i probably could get something else that would be able to keep the power there all the time and also strengthen the engine for morepower later on down the road. Where as N20 would just cause more stress. So i am still thinking of what to spend the $600 on instead of a N20 kit. Any ideas? All in all once i reached 400 rwhp or a little bit over i would be severely happy. But that wont be for a while. but for the mean time i want to build mine to be as reliably powerful as possible.

bunk22

Established Member
Your 42#'s are, IMO, better than my 36# injectors since you have room to grow. The 36's are too small for my application, thus I'm going with the super fmu. You might want to try a larger crank pulley and powerpipe for more boost. The crank pulley adds quite a bit of hp/tq in the mid range but not a whole lot up top in my experience. The area under the curve is what matters anyway. Here is a dyno after adding nothing but my 7" crank pulley and some tuning with my old Powerdyne BD-11A 6lb set-up (the curve ends upbruptly due to the spark being blown out):

http://www.msnusers.com/MustangMembers/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6

rocket5979

Established Member
Thoseare some nice gains. I take it that your pulley system is still 6 rib right? Well man what would you reccomend a littlw nitrous kit or something else costing about $600 that would maybe be better though maybe only be able to put another 60 or 70 hp in. I am toying with the idea of a camswap. Thinking of throwing an E-303 cam in it. But that wont cost $600 either. Being that iplan on doing the work myself. I was also thinking of a port and polish job on my intake and heads too. What do ya think? I meannitrous would be the easy way to go but if i can get close to the same amount ofpower out of it fromdoing something else iwould rather do THAT because then that power will be there all the time instead of whenever i push the button. Either way i plan on going with nitrous also later but i want to build for strength right now and i dont think nitrous will help make anything stronger. ;-)

bunk22

Established Member
Still running the 6 rib set-up with no apparent slip. I'm thinking it's because of the 7" crank pulley, plenty of belt wrap. The XB-1 can take a lot more abuse but my engine can't. One guy I used to keep in contact with was running 16psi without a problem on his XB-1.

If you're dead set on the nitrous, go for it. Just remember to get a good tune, dyno or whatever. That way you can get the maximum out of your set-up. A custom cam or good blower cam might be the way to go as well. So many different things you could do for a bit more power. I was planning on porting/polishing of my heads and intake but ended up buying my 03 Cobra. So I'm done with mods to the 95, just going to add the super fmu and redyno tune the car.

Users who are viewing this thread