What Tranny crossmember & mount do you use for a t56 swap in your sn95?

9Terminator6

Banned
I have a 96 cobra with a termi swap 6 speed. i believe it has the stock transmission crossmember from sn95 Nd a modified plate to make the transmission mount work. I'm having issues of the transmission being pushed up from the plate to high, causing my driveshaft to hit the body. (Keep in mind i do have 4cylnder cut springs in the rear.) another issue I feel like the transmission mount clunks a lot causing the car to jerk here and there. Any suggestions out there???

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
You can unbolt the cross member mounting brackets from the frame rails & move them forward until the cross member lines up with the T56 mount. Then just redrill the holes in the frame rail & you'll be good to go. Easy & free way to do it right.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I used a Stifler's crossmember and a poly mount. This is for a 97 GT though. Not sure what the difference is with the Cobra but I think the Stiflers crossmember works.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
I'm using the original just drilled the new holes forward and I hadn't had any issues with the solid and h&r super sports, I would hit the bump stop on the rear but never had the driveshaft hit, I have an irs in the car now though

Senator

Dude....Seriously?
Established Member
I also relocated the stock mount. The only issue that came up is the with the T56 and aluminum driveshaft with an SRA, I didn't have enough contact for the yoke in the tailshaft.
I made a spacer right at the pinion flange. Steeda sells one for $60.

You may not need to, just make sure to check you have good contact.

1997Cobra

Established Member
I'm using the AJE cross member part number MU-7061 . Here are the reasons I chose it:

1. Do not have to drill anything
  2. More solid then a poly trans mount
  3. More clearance for the exhaust
  4. Much lighter then the factory cross member

I did not want to drill into my frame unless I absolutely had to, so I had a choice between the stifflers and the AJE cross member. Stifflers uses a stock style trans mount, AJE does not. The AJE cross member bolts directly to the transmission, and has bushings where it mounts to the frame. This makes the trans as rigid as possible without using a solid motor mount

Clutch73

Established Member
I'm using the AJE cross member part number MU-7061 . Here are the reasons I chose it:

1. Do not have to drill anything
  2. More solid then a poly trans mount
  3. More clearance for the exhaust
  4. Much lighter then the factory cross member

I did not want to drill into my frame unless I absolutely had to, so I had a choice between the stifflers and the AJE cross member. Stifflers uses a stock style trans mount, AJE does not. The AJE cross member bolts directly to the transmission, and has bushings where it mounts to the frame. This makes the trans as rigid as possible without using a solid motor mount

Awesome thanks for the part number and everything. I have an AJE racing K member in my car and its been great.

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Last edited:

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
My car is a GT chasis and I used the AJE crossmember, it bolts right in and doesn't use a mount as it bolts directly to tranny. Using poly collar bushings on each side where it bolts into the chassis tabs. I made a little how to thread on the t56 swap, theres a few pics of the crossmember and it mounted in the thread.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/962213-t56-swap-flywheel-clutch-how.html

Thank you very much for the reply/resource/link.....much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread