What to pay for mystichrome cobra seats?

WCK78

What would you guys be willing to pay for a nice set of mystichrome cobra seats front and back? I found a nice set but Im not sure about the price. Thanks in advance!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
It’s all about the driver’s seat, which is usually well worn. If you can find a nice set with little to no wear, pay whatever the seller is asking. As we all know, any other seat can be remade by an upholsterer. The original Mystichrome leather cannot be redone anywhere close to the first run. If you think prices for the seats or skins are high now, just wait 10 years... prices will be shocking.

Dimitri318

Established Member
A guy had 2 literally brand new sets on the svt Facebook page a couple months ago and was selling them for $1,600. I got the money together within 2 days and both were gone. So like @Goose17 said, fork out the money if you want a pristine set and good luck with finding it.

HPLouis

Established Member
A guy had 2 literally brand new sets on the svt Facebook page a couple months ago and was selling them for $1,600. I got the money together within 2 days and both were gone. So like @Goose17 said, fork out the money if you want a pristine set and good luck with finding it.

I saw those. He was out in Long Island and they sold fast. I've realized when it comes to Mystichrome, you've got to have the money ready and don't even try to haggle. Someone else will snatch it up and pay the asking price.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I saw those. He was out in Long Island and they sold fast. I've realized when it comes to Mystichrome, you've got to have the money ready and don't even try to haggle. Someone else will snatch it up and pay the asking price.
Exactly. I bought some of the Mystichrome leather from a guy on here just to have some spares. I mentioned I was debating about buying it to my wife and she said I need to buy whatever I can whenever I can.

Goose17

Established Member
Exactly. I bought some of the Mystichrome leather from a guy on here just to have some spares. I mentioned I was debating about buying it to my wife and she said I need to buy whatever I can whenever I can.

You have a smart (and supportive) wife!

I’ve said it in other threads, but it’s worth repeating... as these cars age, owners will want to refresh them. The exterior can always be repainted with like new Mystichrome paint. The limiting factor will be the Mystichrome leather, which is rapidly becoming unobtainium!

HPLouis

Established Member
You guys are both correct. I was able to grab a brand new Mystichrome steering wheel the other day and I can’t believe how much I spent on it, but in the future, it’ll be worth it. Now I’m just waiting for some seats skins or actual seats to show up for sale some where so I can stow those away too.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
You guys are both correct. I was able to grab a brand new Mystichrome steering wheel the other day and I can’t believe how much I spent on it, but in the future, it’ll be worth it. Now I’m just waiting for some seats skins or actual seats to show up for sale some where so I can stow those away too.

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com
I watched a steering wheel on Ebay for a long time. The price changed a couple times before I bought it.

At a car show I went to a kid had a Momo steering wheel holding up his hood. He "bragged" about it being a $300 wheel. I laughed at him and told him about mine.

HPLouis

Established Member
45598535921_ff54c8ca28_z.jpg

44873817454_7a512f5287_z.jpg

44973875984_b02c6242af_z.jpg
[/url]

I was lucky I was able to get my hands on this. Now I need to find some seats or the skins.

HPLouis

Established Member

I saw those too. I really kick myself in the ass when I miss out on them. What usually happens is I try to negotiate the price down and someone gets it. Now, I'm just gonna pay the asking price.

Goose17

Established Member
Congrats on the Mystichrome wheel scores! If and when you do install the new one, try to avoid putting your hands on the Mystichrome sections. My original wheel in my car looks brand new. When I drive my car, I do my best to never grab the color changing sections on the wheel. The second thing I do in my car is to “plop” into the seat vs. sliding into it. My bolsters show zero signs of wear and I’d like to keep it that way.

When these cars first came out, most owners were unaware how hard it would become to get replacement Mystichrome leather and didn’t think about taking extra precautions to preserve their originals.

HPLouis

Established Member
Congrats on the Mystichrome wheel scores! If and when you do install the new one, try to avoid putting your hands on the Mystichrome sections. My original wheel in my car looks brand new. When I drive my car, I do my best to never grab the color changing sections on the wheel. The second thing I do in my car is to “plop” into the seat vs. sliding into it. My bolsters show zero signs of wear and I’d like to keep it that way.

When these cars first came out, most owners were unaware how hard it would become to get replacement Mystichrome leather and didn’t think about taking extra precautions to preserve their originals.

Thanks. I’m hoping I won’t have to install it for the next 10 years or so. I agree with you. Later on down the line, I can always repaint the car but the wheel and seats are going to be hard, if not impossible to reproduce.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HPLouis

Established Member

You're right about not grabbing the wheel. You have to be very careful in touching it. The prior owner did that and there is 'oxidation' or something on the Mystichrome sections and it will not come off with leather cleaner or anything. The Mystichrome sections are also 'dark' so it looks dirty and worn. i'm glad I got this new wheel.

Goose17

Established Member
You're right about not grabbing the wheel. You have to be very careful in touching it. The prior owner did that and there is 'oxidation' or something on the Mystichrome sections and it will not come off with leather cleaner or anything. The Mystichrome sections are also 'dark' so it looks dirty and worn. i'm glad I got this new wheel.

Since you got a replacement wheel, I’d try cleaning your original with some sort of stronger cleaner. If the Mystichrome sections are dark, you have nothing to lose. I’d try various cleaners on a little section of the back side of the wheel to see if anything works.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I have 2 full sets of vert seats, one of the sets the front seats are pretty tired. Reason for the post, is I looked at that set as potentially donating pieces of mystichrome leather, should the need ever arise. The rear seat is perfect, and could be used to repair a damaged seat.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I watched a steering wheel on Ebay for a long time. The price changed a couple times before I bought it.

At a car show I went to a kid had a Momo steering wheel holding up his hood. He "bragged" about it being a $300 wheel. I laughed at him and told him about mine.

Lol, so you bragged about yours after he bragged about his?:D

Users who are viewing this thread