What to look for when buying a ported eaton???

Racingrob

Established Member
I'm currently in the market for a clean, low mileage ported eaton.

What things should I check before buying one of these?

I'm considering buying this 53k miles blower:

56427030_2110066992362265_7063439146974445568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

56596497_2110067009028930_7012874690272165888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

56426966_2110067032362261_1350306897177083904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

What do you guys think of its condition?

Thanks

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm currently in the market for a clean, low mileage ported eaton.

What things should I check before buying one of these?

I'm considering buying this 53k miles blower:

View attachment 1565029
View attachment 1565030
View attachment 1565031
What do you guys think of its condition?

Thanks

How much do these go for used now a days? I’d pick one up if cheap. But if not I’d save for a twin screw return set up and call it a day.

How many miles on the port? Any videos of it running on the car? Does the snout turn freely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave.O

Established Member
as mentioned, turn the pulley to make sure it spins freely with no odd spots
look at the rotor faces and edges make sure there is no gouging or nicks
look at inside of blower body to make sure there is no evidence of the rotors contacting the case
make sure the mounting surfaces are flat
make sure none of the intercooler bolts broke off into blower mounting holes
look around the edges of where it was opened by porter make sure no cracks, the first ported blower I bought off Craig's list had a crack between the original blower exit and the added hole rendering it useless. of course didn't notice until I got home

KLLR SNK

Established Member
That blower has been "D" ported so make sure you get the matched welded and "D" ported plenum to go with the blower. The rotors are showing wear so check the bearings and contact areas of the blower channels for rubbing or contact. Most of the power from porting is from the inlet side of the blower, outlet porting means very little, if anything, in adding power. The D-port and rotor wear would be enough to make me pass on this one but good luck in whatever is your final decision.

Racingrob

Established Member
How much do these go for used now a days? I’d pick one up if cheap. But if not I’d save for a twin screw return set up and call it a day.

How many miles on the port? Any videos of it running on the car? Does the snout turn freely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen em posted for anywhere from $500 to $1200. A ported eaton will get me to the power I want to be. Not ready for a twin screw yet...rather do some IRS mods and other things first.

Those are good questions I will ask the seller! Thanks

Racingrob

Established Member
as mentioned, turn the pulley to make sure it spins freely with no odd spots
look at the rotor faces and edges make sure there is no gouging or nicks
look at inside of blower body to make sure there is no evidence of the rotors contacting the case
make sure the mounting surfaces are flat
make sure none of the intercooler bolts broke off into blower mounting holes
look around the edges of where it was opened by porter make sure no cracks, the first ported blower I bought off Craig's list had a crack between the original blower exit and the added hole rendering it useless. of course didn't notice until I got home
All very good advice! This is the kind of detail I was looking for! Thank you. I will try to find a local blower so I can inspect myself

Racingrob

Established Member
That blower has been "D" ported so make sure you get the matched welded and "D" ported plenum to go with the blower. The rotors are showing wear so check the bearings and contact areas of the blower channels for rubbing or contact. Most of the power from porting is from the inlet side of the blower, outlet porting means very little, if anything, in adding power. The D-port and rotor wear would be enough to make me pass on this one but good luck in whatever is your final decision.
That is interesting. I didn't realize there were different port designs. I'll def pass on this one. I plan on running my accufab plenum and throttle body. Would it be stupid to get a ported blower and then bolt up the unported accufab plenum?

KLLR SNK

Established Member
Your Accufab setup may be pretty close to matching the ported inlet. If you are concerned, ask the seller to send you a template of the blower inlet and see how it matches to your Accufab plenum. If the seller is running a matched Accufab setup ask him to trade you plenums or you could have your plenum ported to match.

Racingrob

Established Member
This. You’re wasting your money by buying a ported blower, unless it’s not going on an 03-04

I don’t need anymore power than what a ported Eaton will get me right now. The car has all stock suspension still and stock driveline. And for the price minus what I sell the stock blower for it’s next to nothing to get one. The motor will have custom cams/10.2:1 compression/E85.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t need anymore power than what a ported Eaton will get me right now. The car has all stock suspension still and stock driveline. And for the price minus what I sell the stock blower for it’s next to nothing to get one. The motor will have custom cams/10.2:1 compression/E85.

Hey to each his own. Just trying to give you my .02, especially if you're going to be doing a built motor. I've been around these cars for a vey long time.

Users who are viewing this thread