What To Look For When Buying a Lightning???

White98SVT

Established Member
Well since I've sold my 98 Cobra I've been looking for something new to buy. I came across a nice Lightning in my price range down near Orlando. It's a 2001 with a 6lb. pully, C&L, diablo predator tune, and a mac cat back.

My question, when my buddy and I go take a look at this thing, what should I be looking for. I'm not exactly sure how to tell if one of these trucks has been raced hard or just ragged out. Also, what are the problem areas for the 2001's. It only has 40k miles on it but the mods would suggest that it hasn't been quite the garage queen.

Here's the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rs=Two+Door&fuel=Gasoline&lang=en&cardist=249
Thanks for the help.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236029

that is a better link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That link has a badass truck in it for a just a little more than the one in autotrader!!!

As for what to look for...just look for body damage or frame damage. The engine can take a beating. Even if they have been driven hard they will still hold up for even harder driving. With the 6 lb pulley that he has not done much damage on the inside, 6 lb + no built block = free inspection of the inside of the motor by looking through it!!!

Last edited:

2001_lightning

Check Me Out
Established Member
I would look for a good deal on a 2001+ from a older guy who hasn't done that many mods. Exhaust, and chip is what they normally do if anything. Then do the mods your self so you know they have been done right.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I can't think of any problems with the 01 and up's that are any kind of issue to worrie about. See my sig. :(

White98SVT

Established Member
SVTman75 said:
Ask about plugs. That would be my biggest worry.

He just replace the plugs with NGK's..although I can't remember the exact model of plug. My buddy that also has a Lightning checked it out and it is good.

As for the silver one for sale, unfortunately it's a little out of my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread