What to look for when buying 99 Cobra

imsuperman

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a 99 Cobra and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for. I will get the VIN and call Ford to see if it had the recall's fixed. If they haven't, should I not buy the car? Thanks.

imsuperman

Established Member
I'm looking for black and don't want to spend over $15,000. That is a pretty good price for all the mods. Plus, you are 2000 miles away.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Mostly how the car feels, you can tell how a car has been treated when you drive it. I drove probably 30 cobras before I found mine, and they all had this tapping noise in the motor, I thought it was normal, but its not. Make sure that the 99 has had the hp and knuckle recall. I would not buy a cobra unless it was at a ford dealership, because the only way the smaller dealerships can get them is through the auction. Try getting a carfax and an oasis report and trying to talk to previous owner(s) Just a few tips. And if the dealer trys to hassle you on it just tell them that it is a limited production vehicle and it needs to be properly researched. Good luck:beer:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Ohh, Mine had a defective wheel bearing from the knukle recall, and on the test drive the tapping noise in the motor was found by the mechanic and I got a new motor from ford, so stay away if you hear funky noises.

imsuperman

Established Member
k, thanks. My 91 5.0 has a tapping sound that's been there for like 6 years. I think it may be just a lifter or rocker. It's coming from the head on the passenger side. Is this the same sound you are talking about? Or is it more in the motor?

skeeterlee89

Established Member
I just bought a triple black 99 cobra vert and it has a knocking noise in the motor. I am going to change the plugs and fuel filter, hopefully fixing that problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else could be the problem?

Warren

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
I've looked into my KOCKING .. it happens mostly after it's warmed up, not so much during cold engine (course all I hear is the SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING noise from the intake until it's nice and warm .. LOL) ..

I was told it is Crankshaft Endplay .. was told to cycle the clutch (in neutral) and see if it goes away .. course my throw-out bearing (or whatever Ford calls it .. carrier?) is a lil noisy so I think I stretched my cable :O) cuz I can just barely rest my foot on the peddle and it stops .. I'll have to turn the adjuster a bit to take that out ..

If it's under warranty, they have been REPLACING the motor .. but for some reason, I'd be afraid that some of the FIXES wouldn't end up on the new motor, ya know?

Tim

imsuperman

Established Member
I'm buying an 03 cobra tomorrow. Decided I will get want I really want. Even though my wife is going to divorce me.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ok once the divorce is final, find a vacant lot and build a nice two car garage, park your car on one side and live on the other side. That would be awesome j/k :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread