What To Look For If Car Has Been Run on Low Octane Fuel?

Old Stang

Established Member
What signs will be the first to show if a Terminator owner has consisitently put 89 octane or lower gas in his car? The particular car still runs a stock tune, has a CAI and a cat-back installed. The driver hasn't put a lot of miles on it, but the ones he has put on were under heavy acceleration. To my knowledge, the car hasn't been on a track. I'd like to tell him the risks he's taking by not feeding the car the octane it needs.

Old Stang

Established Member
Low Octane Fuel

So is the "boom" from the low octane caused from spark knock or is it heat causing the piston to swell and stick? I'm just trying to understand what is physically causing the problem.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Okay....I'm by NO MEANS a knowledgeable car person...so please, anyone can correct me if I'm wrong on this:

With the Octane too low, the increased pressure inside the cylinders is causing the fuel to ignite on it's own before the spark is released. That's what Octane rating is, the fuels rating on it's ability to withstand being put under pressure without igniting on it's own. The higher the Octane rating, the Higher it's ability to withstand Higher pressures without igniting (and allowing the spark-plug to do it's job properly).

Pulling spark plugs is a good way to tell if a car is running too rich, too lean, or optimally on air/fuel ratio. With that said, I'm not sure if looking at the plugs will be able to tell you if there is any pre-detonation, a.k.a. knocking. Maybe someone can chime in and help with that answer.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Agree. Low octane can result in preignition, which can damage engine, most commonly pistons. If you pull plugs and they are OK and engine runs OK, you're probably OK. A normal compression test would be reassuring, too.

Users who are viewing this thread