What to expect from tuner?

cobjon57

Established Member
Just finished my rebuild last week,whippled/w comp2 cams.Builder/tuner called me in for start up with baseline tune.After warmup the idle was constantly fluctuating from 900 to500 rpm and the wide band a/f meter was swinging all over the place.I mentioned the idle fluctuation to him and he said that it wasnormal and common with these cams.Iam concerned with his response,as ihave installed many wild cams in the old pushrod motors with no such issues(idle stays right where you put it).Car is getting dyno tuned today and I want to be knowledgeble and firm about what to expect on the steadiness of these two parameters.

GodStang

Established Member
ummm.... wow. Stage III cams and they idle perfect. Mine was bouncing all over the place and switched tuners and they got it running perfect. If they tell you that you may want to start looking for a new tuner or look to build your engine again.

Videos in sig during tune.

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've seen a couple cammed 03/04 cobras and they idled fine (RPM wise). Are there any other tuners in your area?

cobjon57

Established Member
I just got back from the dyno session,long day.Did six pulls to adjust full throttle a/f.Nice and flat just below 12.Then about six more adding timing each pull and watching exhaust stream.Then about five more pulls at part throttle under load for part throttle a/f.Pulls were to 7500rpm,all streams clean.Made 576/500 at 7200.Still has the idle fluctuation issue but it was late,going back thu ,said he would smooth them out.Thanks all for concensus,I'll insist on a steady idle & a/f at idle.

GodStang

Established Member
Holy shot dude are they trying to blow up your car? My car is built to go to 7500 rpms and we do not even go that high. He should not rake it much past 6500 unless you want a scrap pile. Also you said something like 17 pulls??? They should of had the car tuned all over before even going on a dyno. Then maybe 3 or 4 runs on the dyno to get full throttle and done. I have a wild setup and it took my tuner 3 pulls to get it spot on not 17. Good luck hope they do not blow it up.

Users who are viewing this thread