What to do?

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I've had this problem at 2 different occasions after doing my thermostat, it has overheated:cuss: and I finally took it to ford to get the coolant system pressure tested. I've burped it 3 times now on jackstands and have been frustrated as hell with this. They put the car on the lift at the dealership and said that the leak was at the front of the passenger side head and was dripping ever so slightly. So after all that they tell me my head gaskets need to be chaged and give me an estimate of just a tad under 2g's. I would normally want to do this myself but don't have the time or space to do it. What are my options? I'm still gonna need the car on a limited basis till I can get it in for repair. Should I repair it or try to go 5.4 DOHC? I'm kinda on a limited budget or does someone have a nice longblock(5.4 or 4.6, doesn't matter) that they would want to come off of for a resonable price?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Hmmmmm...I'd probably just fix it. If you're gonna swap to a 5.4, the motor has to come out anyway. Would you be trying that yourself or paying someone?? If you're gonna pay, you could pull the stocker and build it. I dunno. Just throwing shit out there.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
either fix it or just forge the bottom end. my 2 cents

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
The only reason I would go with the conversion would be that it's almost gonna cost the same as doing the head gaskets. Not to mention the torque I would be getting out of it. Forging the bottom end right now might not be the best thing cause I'm about to move and I need the money but once I move it's on the list of things to do right after I do the suspension.

RED99VASVT

Established Member
Given your personal situation with time & space constraints, I'd replace the head gaskets. You can likely find a performance shop that will confirm you need head gaskets and will do your head gaskets for less money and do a better job. Get them to do the oiling/cooling fix while the heads are off.

Users who are viewing this thread