what to do......

stubbs

Established Member
Heres the situation, I have a 2002 lightning, I had somethings on it but I was going to sell it and I took everything off, but I still have my pulley and thats it, I did have a converter, exhaust suspension, and cai but now have nothing. Well I have about $8-11 grand to spend. NOw with not having anything I want to get a built block, so heads, cam and everything else, how much would this put me back, and also with the money left over what can I get? Any input would be great if I confused anyone sorry, im trying not to. Thanks

Tj

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
im going to get a JDM long block for $9000, plus instal.i've heard of one too many JLP blocks that have broke. JDM for me.

Last edited:

stubbs

Established Member
frightning#650 said:
im going to get a JDM long block for $9000, plus instal.i've heard of one too many JLP blocks that have broke. JDM for me.

pm me with details please. thanks

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I know that there is a shop in Missouri that will build you block for alot cheaper then $9000 and they have experience with Lightnings but since they are not a sv I can't post the info so pm me and I'll let you know.

svtred

lambo doors on the S-V-T
Established Member
honestly why do you need to go to jdm or jlp. im not trying to put them down, but DAM 12k to build an engine!!!! that better be installed too! just go to a local machine shop. a motor is a motor. these arent ferraris or lamborghinis. theyre fords. any local machine shop could build you a SWEET engine for half that price

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Actually they can't. A mod motor is much more labor intensive than the old school pushrod stuff. I am having mine done locally, using manley rods/pistons and bearings that I got almost for free. I bought a brand new L crank for 315 and am paying 250 for the core block. Just for the machine work involved in the s/b and assembly it is going to be close to 2K. If I had bought all the parts it would be as much or more than even JDM charges. The vendors use all brand new parts and thus they have little if any machining to do and can keep costs down. You simply can't beat JLP price on his s/b, I just want a local PERSON to go and talk to should something go awry. Bottom line is there is no way to do one of our motors cheap, you are going to spend @ 4K for a s/b and 6500-8K with heads and cams. Plus installation. It sucks but it's true.

Any links to the info on JLP's motors letting go? I haven't heard of this.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I agree with the motor being more labor intensive but 9 grand for a motor is out there. There are local shop that can build a mod motor just as well as any of the venders you just have to look for them. For example there is a local shop down here that will build a short block for $3800 and if your block is okay then of course it will be less. But thinking that you should just but stuff from the sv is like saying you should just buy parts from ford.

203Cree

Established Member
I dunno. I priced everything new ( rods, cams, head and main studs ) and it came out to about 2 g's, but with labor it was gonna be around 4.5. If I did it myself, I'd be out the 2k, but I wouldn't have any kind of guarantee if something went wrong. I think Jlp/Jdm is the way to go as far as s/b. You get so much more for your money than if you tried to part and piece your way through it.

Now as far as a l/b goes, I think you'd be better off just getting the built short block and coming up with your own heads ( like Patriots or something along those lines).

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
203Cree said:
I dunno. I priced everything new ( rods, cams, head and main studs ) and it came out to about 2 g's, but with labor it was gonna be around 4.5. If I did it myself, I'd be out the 2k, but I wouldn't have any kind of guarantee if something went wrong. I think Jlp/Jdm is the way to go as far as s/b. You get so much more for your money than if you tried to part and piece your way through it.

Now as far as a l/b goes, I think you'd be better off just getting the built short block and coming up with your own heads ( like Patriots or something along those lines).

I just can't pay that much for labor and then shipping on top of that when there is a good builder a couple of hours away. Thats all I'm saying is look around at some local builders because you never know. Just becuase they are a sv does not meen that they are the best. Any good engine builder should warranty their product. Just my 0.02

Users who are viewing this thread