What to do with this budget

2003Terminator

Established Member
I am currently over here in Afghanistan I be here till the middle of next year (maybe). When i get back, I'm looking to drop around $10,000 in the cobra. My question is what route should I take with my mods with this budget. It's my DD and I take it the drag strip sometimes, the little time I'm home :). Any help would be appreciated. Here is the list of my current mods:

C&L inlet and filter
SCT SF3
SCT 90mm MAF
Accufab Big Oval TB
NGK TR6
2.76 pulley and idler
180 thermostat
bassani o/r x-pipe
bassani cat-back
H&R race springs
sumitomo tires 315 back and 275 front
Dynoed and tuned at XXXperformance pensacola, FL
440wrhp/452lbtq

Thanks again for the help ya'll:rockon:

cobracide

Established Member
What are your goals? What power level do you want to be at? Please be more descriptive and you will get better answers.

The basics:

1) LPW Diff Cover
2) Idler Set
3) IRS Bushings upgrade
4) Subframes

So do you want to max the Eaton out or are you looking for anothe blower? If you want a new blower, I recommend waiting for the 2.9L Whipple. If you are sticking with the Eaton, get a POSI port. I recommend the Dragon but I see you already have an Accufab. For the fuel - 63# injectors, Dual FPDM, Dual GT pumps, Wire upgrade. All available from lethal. With an Eaton this will be more than 500hp.

2003Terminator

Established Member
I'm looking to get around the 600 mark and I'm want to do everything the "right" way. I was wanting to get the 2.3 whipple. I didn't know that there coming out with the 2.9. I have to do some research on that. I want to start with the suspension then move to the transmission before I go to the engine. Just want to make sure all the weak links around takin care of.

cobracide

Established Member
As far as suspension, the IRS differential and subrame bushings will need to be replaced. Steeda, MM are good but a lot of people swear by bruce's full kit. Full Tilt Boogie Racing I can tell you that I just got the IRS cover sealed and the stock IRS bushings were destroyed.

For springs there are two main options - Steeda Sport and H&R Sport Springs. Neither require caster camber plates but you can do them for the extra bling. MM makes a good set of those. The other option for suspension is coil over but I'll leave that for someone else with more experience.

The transmission is pretty solid but the weak spot here is the clutch. I have a McLeod dual disk but it chatters. The pedal force is half that of the stock piece so that's a plus. You may want to check out Spec or Ram. While you are there, change the input shaft to a 26 spline for strength. I had my clutch done and while they were in there, a level 2 upgrade was performed. This is not nessessary but I did it anyway. Tick-shift in Mooresville are top notch for T56 upgrades if you want to do that.
TICKshift.com - Quick Shifting Six Speed Perfectionists
The level 2 consists of the following, I added Bronze pads for all gears:
Bronze 1-4 Fork Pads
OEM 5-6 & Reverse Fork Pads
Billet 3-4 Synchronizer Keys (with upgraded springs)
New OEM 1-2, 5-6 & Reverse Keys & Springs
Carbon Fiber Synchronizer (blocker) Rings
New 1-2 Synchronizer Assembly
New 3-4 Synchronizer Assembly
New Front Seal
New Rear Seal

Check out Aeroforce for gauges with the "speed of sound" pillar. This goes nice with the Raptor shift light. Speed of Sound gauge pillars, pods, and switch panels for the Ford Mustang

As far as 600hp, a 2.3L Whipple will get you there no problem. The prospect of the 2.9L will make used 2.3L's cheap but I don't think I would go used on your budget. The KB 2.8 is an option, personally I think the looks and the torque of the Whipple 2.9L have it beat.

Get a 170* Thermostat from Reische, this will reduce your temps more. Also, look into the LDC cooling mod. Get that done while the trans is done as well. The cooling mod changes the cooolant flow so that the driver head which is prone to overheating, gets cooled more efficiently.

PS - thanks for your service to your country!

Last edited:

blacksvtcobra97

Established Member
I would not be the typical young deployed person and throw away their cash into their car. Buy a cheap DD if you want to be throwing money into your Cobra. Use some of it as "fun money" for your Cobra (you deserve it) but start a savings if you don't have one already started. Start an IRA or put some into your TSP (I assume you have one). Just make sure most of that money goes to something that will help you in life and when you're out of the military.

- Currently deployed Marine

2003Terminator

Established Member
I already have the car paid off. I've been deploying alot through my career to save and play. I appreicate the advice.

Thanks for the info cobracide.

I was looking at starting with the suspension. Bruces kit, MMFLSFC, C/C plates, Bilstein shocks/struts, Toyo R888 and BF Brace.

Next is the transmission. Stage 3+ spec clutch, spec aluminum FW, 26 input shaft, MM clutch quadrant, MM clutch firewall adjuster, Spec friction pate, Ford racing shim kit, Ford racing TOB.

Thanks again for the responses.

03cobrah

Established Member
Next is the transmission. Stage 3+ spec clutch, spec aluminum FW, 26 input shaft, MM clutch quadrant, MM clutch firewall adjuster, Spec friction pate, Ford racing shim kit, Ford racing TOB.

Thanks again for the responses.

i'm looking at working on my transmission too, i'm curious if this setup is good for a dd, any input from other members on this?

i8urSS

Established Member
if its your daily driver i wouldnt go with anything too big. 2.9 is gonna be overkill. i would stick with the kb 2.2 or the whipple 2.3 both would be alot of fun. i'm a little more partial to the kb just because of the way it screams but i love the looks of the whipple. i think either way you'll be satisfied.

it might not be a bad idea to drop a grand or two on a different dd tho. alot of times i wish i had another car because the gas is killing me in the cobra. and its just gonna keep getting worse. plus if you have another ride it doesnt make you have to rush thru mods.

good luck which ever route you take. keep us posted. stay safe out there and god bless.

mach1033

Established Member
Full Tilt Boogie, complete Lethal Fore fuel upgrade, Spec 3 + clutch 26 spline shaft, 2.3 whipple being that u want the 600hp mark, I have the complete MM coilover kit, K member, A arms and there delring bushings WOW for handling. Finally get DR's or Toyo R888's . 10g's spent. :beer:

Last edited:

Pat21gq

Would LOVE 10s...
Established Member
Budget car

Sounds like you are on the right track as far as adding bolt ons and other power mods, I would start working on your suspension. If you goal is somewhere in the 600's hp range then you definitly need to spend some money on stiffening up your suspension. Subframe connectors, springs, shocks sway bars ect...thanks for your service bro. Im stationed at Hulrburt Field and I leave AGAIN in March of the "Stan" so might see you in passing...

2003Terminator

Established Member
The BF brace is not a sure fix, the LPW diff cover is. Everything else looks good.

Cobracide, could you please explain this? Thanks everyone for your advice.

Pat21gq, I'm actually stationed at Eglin right now. I might have seen you around. Seems like we are always on the move bro. I might so you around here sometime.

cobracide

Established Member
Cobracide, do you think i should go with a return fuel system and if so how does that benefit?

Return is not needed at 600 hp. Return simplifies tuning and complexity and is benificial at higher levels. I'm not any kind of expert on return style so I'm sure others could elaborate better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread