What to do with the 96

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
Looking for advice on what I should do with the cobra. I am looking at something like getting chrome Y2k Cobra rims w/ new BFGs and a MM Road and Track suspension kit or something similar or getting the rims and saving a bit more for a Vortech or Procharger (any centrifugal really)
Heres the only thing… I love handling but I don’t want to be literally jarred to death. I actually like a really stiff ride but theres a certain point where it gets too much for a daily driver. The only thing Im worried about with getting a supercharger is I have the stock T45 (with a new 11" FRPP clutch kit) with ~100k miles. I have a built 99 cobra motor now with stock compression pistons. The car also has intake, exhaust, chip, gears (4.30s), MM SFCs, Eibach Prokit, and griggs CC plates.
Just looking for advice on what you guys think would be a good idea at this point.
Any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks

Interspy24

Established Member
What's up Jeff? Here's what I'd suggest...

For handling - coilovers without a question. It will make a huge difference and it's one the best things you can do to these cars handling wise. The Griggs cc plates will also work with their coilovers. With the efficiency of coilovers, you can get a heavy spring rate and a decent ride.

Keep the rims and tires, they're basically brand new, lol. Replacing 18's get expensive, especially if you're tearing them up on track events. People have found the nittos to do pretty decent for a street tire. Especially with the wider rims, I think it's a pretty decent setup. The r2 compound would be a perfect match, but they don't make it in a 315/35/17 size.

Another thing to keep in mind - taking a blown car to a hpde event requires lots of attention. Cooling should be addressed with a bigger radiator and the like. Also, with that much more power, you'll need that much more brakes to slow you down. The extra power isn't going to help around a track if you can't stop before the turn.

I say if you're going to get into the roadracing stuff. Save for the blower, and take a few driving lessons. They helped me a bunch, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Auto-x is also a LOT of fun, and doesn't require much to get started.

StealthCobra

96 SVT
Established Member
Interspy24 said:
What's up Jeff? Here's what I'd suggest...

For handling - coilovers without a question. It will make a huge difference and it's one the best things you can do to these cars handling wise. The Griggs cc plates will also work with their coilovers. With the efficiency of coilovers, you can get a heavy spring rate and a decent ride.

Keep the rims and tires, they're basically brand new, lol. Replacing 18's get expensive, especially if you're tearing them up on track events. People have found the nittos to do pretty decent for a street tire. Especially with the wider rims, I think it's a pretty decent setup. The r2 compound would be a perfect match, but they don't make it in a 315/35/17 size.

Another thing to keep in mind - taking a blown car to a hpde event requires lots of attention. Cooling should be addressed with a bigger radiator and the like. Also, with that much more power, you'll need that much more brakes to slow you down. The extra power isn't going to help around a track if you can't stop before the turn.

I say if you're going to get into the roadracing stuff. Save for the blower, and take a few driving lessons. They helped me a bunch, and I'd recommend them to anyone. Auto-x is also a LOT of fun, and doesn't require much to get started.
Thanks for the great response Vik. Good points. I will look into the coilovers as I really do want them, just seems 1500 is alot to spend on them.
Also a good point on the rims and supercharger. The car still makes plenty of power. I might just do a ported lower and call it good on power for now.
Anyway, I got the motor paid off and I get the car in about a week and a half. :rockon:
Ill give you a call after I get it. Thanks again.
-Jeff

Interspy24

Established Member
StealthCobra said:
Thanks for the great response Vik. Good points. I will look into the coilovers as I really do want them, just seems 1500 is alot to spend on them.
Also a good point on the rims and supercharger. The car still makes plenty of power. I might just do a ported lower and call it good on power for now.
Anyway, I got the motor paid off and I get the car in about a week and a half. :rockon:
Ill give you a call after I get it. Thanks again.
-Jeff

No problem man. Coilovers make a huge difference when tracking the car and so forth. It will sure handle much better on the street and stiffen the car up, but it's a LOT of money. I think for a street car, you'd be better off getting some nice bilstein shocks and mm lower control arms. Shocks make a HUGE difference. Adjustable ones are nice, but I'd just pick up some hd bilsteins. Call the guys at MM, they're really helpful and can definately guide you in the right direction.

Definately get the ported lower if the funds allow it. Cleaning up the heads (valve job, short-turn radius stuff, etc) is helpful, but gets expensive, especially when you want good results from it. I think the answer for more power is longtubes. Finding a set of longtubes would be awesome, you'd gain great power from them throughout the powerband. Try and find some some svt guys around the area to recommend you a place to get around the emissions stuff.

Btw, after a couple months you need to spray that sucker. At least once. Anyway you cut it, that's tq for your dollar. Just don't become a nitrous junkie like Doug. Btw, you might ask him about it, that guy guys through nitrous like it's water. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread