What to do to get the paint to shine?

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
I have a white 1999 Cobra. It's got a decent wax job on it, but my paint doesn't pop or shine like newer cars. Is there anything I can do? Special product I can use? Yes I know the car is like 13 years old..

Thanks

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
There are a hundreds of guys on here who detail way better then I do that will chime in I'm sure but here's a hand detail job with over the counter Meguair's products done in my garage, it's a white 1998 so it can happen.

Used the Wash Clay Polish Wax method all Meguiar's stuff (Deep Crystal Car Wash, Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax) bought at Walmart.

DSC00516.jpg

Last edited:

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
You did not answer my question.

I'll go with sealed. Theres plenty of sealants out there that have a great shine equal to wax. I dont really buy into the wax over the sealant hype. I do 2 coats of sealant. The car I have pictured has Chemical Guys Jet Seal on it.

To the O/P. I would look into the Meguiares Microfiber D/A kit. Easy to use, Great result.

Chewy

Established Member
Then only way to create real, long lasting gloss is to correct the paint. Stay away from snake oil protectants people are selling claiming to make your dull car look good.

1st - I suggest doing a complete decon of the paint. I can it White Washing. With a good APC/Degreaser & a yellow bug brick, scrub the paint. It will extensively strip the paint of all contaminants and allow you to start with a clean canvas for polishing.

Before:
Supra001.jpg

During Decon:
Supra008.jpg

During/After:
Supra021.jpg

Supra023.jpg

a couple other whites car and how good they can look after proper paint correction:

Rock hard Mercedes/PPG CeramiClear paint:

088.jpg

092.jpg

Web-SitePics035.jpg

Web-SitePics036.jpg

A couple more White cars that were polished properly:

Web-SitePics033.jpg

Web-SitePics021.jpg

And who says White can't look incredible???:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread