What to do about wheel rubbing/contacting inside of wheel well on hard bumps/corners?

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
I have a '13 GT Convertible on FRPP K-Springs, and as of last weekend staggered 20" American Racing/Shelby Torq Thrust M's.
20x8.5 +32mm up front on a 255/35R20 and the rears are 20x10 +33mm on a 295/30R20

Well it turns out after a week, I've noticed that you don't really hear it, but you can see the transference on the tires. It's only from pretty hard bumps, enough that the suspension would otherwise be close to bottoming out. There haven't been any loud bangs or anything, so it's not contacting tread, just a bit of sidewall.

They are the only fitment for Mustangs, but damn that offset is aggressive. I ordered these, specifically since they are not only the *original* torq thrust/bullitt type wheel, but also because they are the only ones that actually clear the Brembo brakes up front.

I had been planning on changing the dampers this year anyway, since the ride is a little too rough. Plus my K-Springs -- since there is no convertible specific fitment, ride low. Lower than stock. I think the rear dropped easily 1 3/4" out back and the expected 1.5" up front. It's low though, enough that the car bottoms out enough that my fiancee complains, and rightfully so.

I was looking at Steeda Sports as a solution, since they ride about 1/2" higher in the rear than what I have on now, along with Koni STR-T's.

Would there be any other solutions? Shaving a new mm off the mounting pad? Spring spacer? I would prefer to have swapping out the tires for a smaller 275/35 to be the last resort.

894476_10151600523837953_1620374583_o.jpg

486185_10151589567932953_2145210218_n.jpg

487577_10151589567802953_2055954406_n.jpg

Last edited:

...Mark...

Established Member
First thing I would do is realign it and run a little negative camber. By doing so it will tuck the top of the tire in a bit.

Last edited:

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
oh hey, that's not a bad idea at all, but is that even possible on a SRA car?

Last edited:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
Did you re-center the axle after lowering? If its only rubbing on one side then an Adjustable Panhard bar should take care of it

AnthonyNoz

Established Member
What to do about wheel rubbing/contacting inside of wheel well on hard bumps/co

As mentioned if its only one side get a panhard bar....i have 33 and 40 offset on kspring and they poke out about as much as urs and thankfully i havent rubbed yet and thats on New York streets lol..... Shave a mm off and flush it a bit....my rims are 19" though

Planeswalker

Established Member
The easiest would be to get Roush springs, they are a 1" drop. Roush sells them for the rear by themselves so you could just get those, and takes no time at all to do the rears.

Here's a pic of my wife's Vert on Roush suspension.
oy6Ab.jpg

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
Re: What to do about wheel rubbing/contacting inside of wheel well on hard bumps/corn

Car has a BMR bar on it, from what I can eyeball its centered, but im going to need to devise a way to measure the difference of how/where it sits, because I really don't have much adjustability in the way that it might be shifted to tue right by somethibg small like 1/8". Just afraid ill go the other way. And the left might rub.
The stock wheels were well inside the confines of the wheel wells so this such a perilous excersize.

Sent from my Bean'd Galaxy Note II

Last edited:

lsxjunkie

Established Member
Car has a BMR bar on it, from what I can eyeball its centered, but im going to need to devise a way to measure the difference of how/where it sits, because I really don't have much adjustability in the way that it might be shifted to tue right by somethibg small like 1/8". Just afraid ill go the other way. And the left might rub.
The stock wheels were well inside the confines of the wheel wells so this such a perilous excersize.

Long piece of string with a nut tied to the end. Tape to fender centered over wheel. Measure from string to center cap.

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
Re: What to do about wheel rubbing/contacting inside of wheel well on hard bumps/corn

I may have to get more creative , as the tires stick out, but I'll try

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I used a 36" level, ran vertically up against the tire and measured the gap between the level and the fender.

Users who are viewing this thread