what to do about my cobra [failed california smog]

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
ive smogged my car 3 times already and it has failed all three times. first time it failed i was like allright, must be the magnaflow x pipe with cats not working as advertied. second time i went in there i had my stock h - pipe installed and it failed really bad (hc over 2000) and got labeled for GROSS POLLUTER. the smog tech told me that my stock cats are bad and that actually the two front cats dont do anything and i should put my magnaflow x pipe back on with the two cats and just retard the timing to around 6-7 degrees. so i did what he suggested and actually went a step further and installed new plugs, new msd cap and rotor, and new ford 9mm wires. so i went in today and it failed again but not that bad. HC was supposed to be 82 and my car produced 120. so now the smog tech is saying that i really need all 4 cats to pass. well i just got off the phone with the huntington beach ford dealer to ask if i could buy a stock h-pipe off of them and he told me that they dont make them anymore but they sell the stock cats for $800 a piece which would be a grand total of about $3200 to repair my stock h-pipe. well here i am $300 later and still not able to drive my car (tags expired until smogged) and trading in for a new mustang on my way home from work doesnt sound too bad right now. love my car, had it for 9 years and never wanted to part with it, but i havent driven it in 3 years now (i mean for fun) and it seems like ill never be able to i just dont know what to think. :cryying:

Last edited:

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
i dont have a tuner i just have the novi kit bolted on so it looks like its all stock under the hood. so i mean pretty much its running the way its supposed to because i didnt modify the computer, and i didnt change paxtons directions. i hooked up all the smog lines and everything so it should be running the way paxton certified it as being CARB legal.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a day, hooking it back up and driving it around at different rpm's and speeds ?

stangmanfive0

Neighborhood Jugernaught
Established Member
bad o 2's sensors maybe some times on foxes they can run lean or rich i would just turn down the fp as slow and as safe as possible maybe retard the timming like you said . check your plugs ...

or just move out of that liberal state ... i heard arnold is trying to tax golf what a f-ing idiot ...whats next

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Hit up craigslist, or other large forums, and look for someone who has a newer stock h-pipe with cats they want to get rid of. You have have to do a little cutting/welding to get it to fit, but I would think its an option.

Titanium 5.0

Oh Oh.. 5.0!
Established Member
Playing around with the timing will do the trick. Also check your EGR valve, sometimes they get clogged up and effect the gas circulation.

Ronias

Established Member
I mean to solve it outright even if the car is stock and should be running clean. just take it to a tuner and he can lean it out for you or richen it up so you pass

buddha93

Established Member
Ya, something's not quite right with the setup. What t-stat are you running? My Novi blown 331 passed a sniffer here in Missouri with all sorts of non-emisson parts on it. I know you guys have stricter regulations, but I'll look at my numbers and see how it scored.

1320Pro

Established Member
I had a car once where the MAP sensor went bad and caused the HC's to skyrocket. Put another one on and passed with flying colors.

buddha93

Established Member
Ok, I looked at my sheet. The sheet says the standard units are 220 ppm for HC and reading of 1.2% on the CO's. My car sniffed a 124 ppm on the HC end and 0.00 on the CO. I guess we really are a little looser on the testing.

BTW, you aftermarket cats aren't the issue. Most aftermarkets are above and beyond the OEM ones.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
put the maggy back on, my has always passed since i've had it. check your timing, t-stat. is your smog pump working, belt on, any vac lines not connected incorrectly? don't trade it just b/c it wont pass. pay the tags and then work on smog. get it dynoed to see what your a/f ratio is.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the smog tech is on crack. all 4 of your cats absolutely must work.

First set will remove Nox, second will remove hydrocarbons (or vice-a-versa). Both sets must be working or else the second set will get overrun by what the first set missed.

Stick a can of G2P (Guaranteed to pass) in it, and flog the piss out of the car before getting it on the rollers. Get those cats nice and heated, the hotter they get the better they work. Also, are your plugs the correct heat range and gap?

sled

Established Member
the smog tech is on crack. all 4 of your cats absolutely must work.

First set will remove Nox, second will remove hydrocarbons (or vice-a-versa). Both sets must be working or else the second set will get overrun by what the first set missed.

Stick a can of G2P (Guaranteed to pass) in it, and flog the piss out of the car before getting it on the rollers. Get those cats nice and heated, the hotter they get the better they work. Also, are your plugs the correct heat range and gap?

I kinda agree. Cats are really to lower nox, not hc's. I would check the EGR valve to make sure its clean and working. also clean the maf, look for broke vacuum lines and check to make sure the charcoal canister isn't cracked. you guys don't have waivers in Cali??

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
just remembered my friend(mechanic) just bought a snap on smog test device(forgot the name) to trouble shoot issues. i'm in santa ana, pm me. i bought some parts from you a few years back. i wondered what had happened to you. b

Adower

Established Member
Dont buy a stock H pipe. Hit up your local forum and rent one from someone. On my local forum people rent them out for 20-50$.

Users who are viewing this thread