what to BUY?!?! 11' GT500 or 16' GT PP

11' GT500 or 16' GT PP for high speed cornering and autobahn driving?

• 11' GT500

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • 16' GT PP

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

ajm1109

Established Member
Hello all,
I can not decide on what to get. I just sold one of my termi's and would like to fill the empty spot in my garage. I found a relatively low mile (11,760) 11' GT500 for 39k that I am interested in but I also want my new car to handle all performance duties like cornering and straight line power. This is why I am leaning towards the 16' GT PP in which I will modify any way to get the power I crave. The problem is that I am unsure how to justify buying a non-SVT car. The new mustangs have grown on me and I hear great things about them. So I am just looking for opinions. Maybe on what I could do to the GT500 that would make it corner with or better than the GT. Or if I should just look into building a 16 GT. I live in Germany so I want to be able to run with the German monsters on the Autobahn. Instead of losing to them after I beat them to the 150mph mark. Basically, I want to hit 180+ or maybe even 200. These are my goals. But like I said I need a car that will handle at high speeds around corners like the Nurburgring. So... this is my conundrum.

1st usa car

Established Member
new GT can be made pretty damn fast for pretty cheap -- but since you had a cobra -- you are the type who will regret not having the Shelby.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
the GT500 is a very heavy car. there is nothing ur gonna do without breaking the bank that will make that car handle better.

sure u can spend thousands on suspension but its still a very heavy car by todays standards as far as handling goes but so are most of the European cars like the Mercedes and BMW's. their no light weights but the Porsche's are still pretty light

I think u would be much better off with a Z06 if ur looking to go 200 mph and still handle and brake safely.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
With either option you will have to heavily modify the car. Both in building the engine and setting up the suspension. I suspect you knew this before posting so im rolling with that idea.
Initially my reaction was to say 16 GT Auto with PP.

Youre inital purchase price will be somewhat close: youll put money into the GT to add boost and all the support systems not already in the car. With the Shelby, youll have to upgrade the blower, fuel system and charge air cooler but they are all there with the factory blower.

Also considering youre wanting to essentially roll race and road course, you're probably going to want the manual transmission. Hands down even with the 1-2 upshift grind ( fixed by an MGW Gen 2 shifter, fluid upgrade and WOT box) the TR6060 is by far a more robust transmission than the MT-82. Unless you dont mind paddle shifting the 6R80, but im not sure how it does in manual mode on the twisties. The 6R80 is EXTREMELY robust.

At the end of the day, all things considered id go with the Shelby. If you were just wanting to dig race in the 1/4 mile, dollar for dollar, a used 2015 GT auto is going to get you into the 9s easier with boost.

But roll racing and road coursing Id go Shelby. And also, at the end of the day, youll always own a Shelby. Even its VIN represents that with code P8J denoting Mustang, 8 cyl 5.4L SC.

ajm1109

Established Member
To be clear, I still have one of my TERMI's. I just was thinking more of building a track built street car. More heavily on the track use side. By that I mean open road course and autocross. But still drive it regularly enough. Currently, the termi is a garage queen and I can not see myself using that as a track car, so that is why I am considering a GT since the lost value will be gained in fun track times.

ajm1109

Established Member
the GT500 is a very heavy car. there is nothing ur gonna do without breaking the bank that will make that car handle better.

sure u can spend thousands on suspension but its still a very heavy car by todays standards as far as handling goes but so are most of the European cars like the Mercedes and BMW's. their no light weights but the Porsche's are still pretty light

I think u would be much better off with a Z06 if ur looking to go 200 mph and still handle and brake safely.
Can't drive a chevy. haha. my grandfather would roll over in his grave brother. plus I have never had any luck with the bowtie

MastaAce03

Established Member
Get that Shelby. The car you're looking at is a 34k car depending on the options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
To be clear, I still have one of my TERMI's. I just was thinking more of building a track built street car. More heavily on the track use side. By that I mean open road course and autocross. But still drive it regularly enough. Currently, the termi is a garage queen and I can not see myself using that as a track car, so that is why I am considering a GT since the lost value will be gained in fun track times.

Even if you got a Boss 302 for its road course pedigree and turboed it, youre still dealing with the piece of shit MT-82 transmission. Even if you get a 2015+ GT (assuming you get the manual) you're still dealing with the MT-82.

That alone would push me to the Shelby. Unless of course youd want to swap to a T56 Magnum XL on the GT.

ajm1109

Established Member
Even if you got a Boss 302 for its road course pedigree and turboed it, youre still dealing with the piece of shit MT-82 transmission. Even if you get a 2015+ GT (assuming you get the manual) you're still dealing with the MT-82.

That alone would push me to the Shelby. Unless of course youd want to swap to a T56 Magnum XL on the GT.
Too be honest... I feel as if I were to get the Shelby that I would not want to drive it all the time being conscience of the mileage and value of the car. This is what happened to the termi that I kept. I hardly ever drive it due to not wanting to hurt the value of the car. Now if I get a 15-17 GT PP I feel like I would be more inclined to drive it all the time knowing that they were never worth that much to begin with (in terms of collectability). I would love to put another svt car in the garage but I want something that I can build to my liking/driving wishes without concern of hurting the value of the car

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Just get the shelby and enjoy it. As mentioned above, the huge issues with the MT-82 are enough to make you wanna avoid that car like the plague. I have had several friends that had 5.0s and they all had blown trans at one point or another.

You could go with an auto, but what real car guy would choose an automatic car and be a "passenger" instead of the driver (unless age/medically realted)?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The honest truth about value is that the Termintors are going to be more sensitive to mileage and value.

The Shelbys, not so much. They will hold their value BETTER than a GT but they were made for around 8 years. They are still relatively plentiful.

Also, finding a car based on the build numbers available as a sticky thread at the top of this subforum will help you identify what a rare Shelby combo is. Red and black Shelbys are generally plentiful. The rarest ive seen is a kona blue with red stripes. If you stay away from a rarer build combo, you wont worry as much about value and can just enjoy the car.

ajm1109

Established Member
The honest truth about value is that the Termintors are going to be more sensitive to mileage and value.

The Shelbys, not so much. They will hold their value BETTER than a GT but they were made for around 8 years. They are still relatively plentiful.

Also, finding a car based on the build numbers available as a sticky thread at the top of this subforum will help you identify what a rare Shelby combo is. Red and black Shelbys are generally plentiful. The rarest ive seen is a kona blue with red stripes. If you stay away from a rarer build combo, you wont worry as much about value and can just enjoy the car.
I will check out the rarity of the car I am looking at. It is white with red stripes and the glass roof. Plus the SVTPP, Track Pack, and Navi.
I am also considering a 09-13 GTR... But I don't want to get yelled at on a mustang site. ; )

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Too be honest... I feel as if I were to get the Shelby that I would not want to drive it all the time being conscience of the mileage and value of the car.
If you think unmolested examples of these cars will be worth 6 digits in the next 10 years, think again. Just get it and enjoy it. No, you'll never get your money out of a modded car either. As long as you aren't welding in components there's nothing that can't be undone.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Well, i can personally tell you if youre planning on modding the shit out of a GTR, you better get ready to spend $20000 on having the trans rebuilt with billet parts.

Otherwise youll at best blow the trans. At worst youll lock up the driveline and lose control. My Shelby got wrecked at a track by a GTR who's owner failed to spend the money. No lie

ajm1109

Established Member
Well, i can personally tell you if youre planning on modding the shit out of a GTR, you better get ready to spend $20000 on having the trans rebuilt with billet parts.

Otherwise youll at best blow the trans. At worst youll lock up the driveline and lose control. My Shelby got wrecked at a track by a GTR who's owner failed to spend the money. No lie
I fully understand the maintenance costs and issues associated with the GTR., but its still a monster.
This is why I am leaning towards what I know... The Blue Oval. I have owned 7 mustangs so far.

cj428mach

Established Member
Any reason you're not looking at a Boss 302?

I'm a cobra guy myself but if I was to look at something different I'd probably go with a Boss 302. I don't research the new cars much because I'm happy with what I have but as I understand it a Boss 302 has a coyote motor thats built like a Terminator motor it just doesn't have the blower. I'd think with a simple TVS swap and some e85 you'd be 800 rwhp in the one of the best looking mustangs ever if you went with a 2013.

ajm1109

Established Member
Any reason you're not looking at a Boss 302?

I'm a cobra guy myself but if I was to look at something different I'd probably go with a Boss 302. I don't research the new cars much because I'm happy with what I have but as I understand it a Boss 302 has a coyote motor thats built like a Terminator motor it just doesn't have the blower. I'd think with a simple TVS swap and some e85 you'd be 800 rwhp in the one of the best looking mustangs ever if you went with a 2013.
yes and the only reason is that I live in Germany. There are zero Boss 302 for sale here. I am limited to the GT500 I have found or a new or used GT PP. Unless I buy a car unseen and have it shipped which does not sound like a good idea to me

Users who are viewing this thread