What tires to go with ?

Marvin9075

Established Member
Hey guys so recently bought a pretty nasty 03 cobra . Has a 3.0 whipple on E85 with over 700 Rwhp. Right now the car is sitting on 18x9 rovos wheels that I am not a fan of and I am looking into getting black deep dish 03 cobra wheels with a 17/10.5 on the Rear . My question is what tire do you guys recommend to use . This is a weekend car that never sees rain and the current 305/35 Mickey Thompson ET STREETS don’t hook very well . What do you guys recommend ? Should I just go all out and do some race stars with drag tires on the back . I am new to this power level so any pointers would be great

01yellercobra

Established Member
How do you use the car? I have Toyo R888R's and I'm happy with them. It still spins, but it's a controlled spin. And I can make some runs through the canyons when I want.

IllCobra

Established Member
I don't have experience with Mickey Thompson ET STREETS but I have read nothing but good stuff from others (unless I am confusing them with another Mickey Thompson tire). Could you possibly be running too much PSI? I am only making ~600whp and running R888 (not their new R888Rs) and from a 40 mph, I am able to hook when I am at 25 PSI. I don't hook well at all when I have them at 32 PSI.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Didn’t even think to check the tire pressure … been out of the game for a while lol … I am thinking about the R888s 313/35 cause I had good luck with them in my last cobra but it was only a ported Eaton

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Running R888 in 305/35/18. Perfect tire.

Edit:. I keep tire pressure at 28 psi.
Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
How do you use the car? I have Toyo R888R's and I'm happy with them. It still spins, but it's a controlled spin. And I can make some runs through the canyons when I want.
Just pulls on the highway or back roads. Just hitting it in second the car spins like crazy … it’s somewhat controlled in second … third breaks traction but not too bad on the highway

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Something must be wrong I make 740whp on my coyote car and those mt et streets dead hook from a 40 roll. 28psi cold, I would think the r888 would be marginally better. Either they're worn or the pressure is just to high.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Something must be wrong I make 740whp on my coyote car and those mt et streets dead hook from a 40 roll. 28psi cold, I would think the r888 would be marginally better. Either they're worn or the pressure is just to high.
They have about 50 miles on them … I’ll check the psi then … I plan on swapping wheels anyways just seeing what options are out there and if R888s are still a good option

IllCobra

Established Member
They have about 50 miles on them … I’ll check the psi then … I plan on swapping wheels anyways just seeing what options are out there and if R888s are still a good option
Yeah my bet is too much air. But last I heard, you can't buy the R888s. You gotta go with their newer R888Rs, which I heard are better.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Another good option:
Z(56).jpg

Hoosier 315/35-17 Drag Radial

01yellercobra

Established Member

Different car. Different suspensions. Different weight. Apples to oranges in this case.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had an order for r888r since June through summit. Was supposed to ship on dec 20. FAIL. Second delay. Discount got the 275/35/18 fronts and 315/30/18 rears and they should be here by Wednesday. Little shorter sidewall but wanted the same brand for all 4. I have run nitto NT01 on both the cobra and my scca ranger and had wheel hop with both so trying the toyo this go around

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
How old are they/what’s the manufacture date on the sidewall?

Users who are viewing this thread