What tires should I buy?? (Quick Reply Needed)

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Ok, I have to make my mind up by tomorrow, maybe somebody can offer their opinion.

2 Choices

Sumitumo HTR-Z- Set of four shipped directly to me for $317

Or

Bridgestone Potenza RE-? Set of four shipped to for $450

I have had Bridgestone Potenza's in the past and was extremely happy with the performance of the tires, considering they were just street radials.

BUT, I am really short on dough and don't know if I want to pay the extra $150.

Comments? Anyone run a set of Sumitumo's before??

4valvemach

Established Member
What size do you want 245/45/17 or 275/40/17?

What is the tread wear on the Sumitumo and potenza?

I have Fuzion ZRI's 275/40/17 with a 320 tread wear mounted on stock mach1 wheels.I got about 30k miles out of them and thats with keeping them at 30psi.Im on my 2nd set I think they perform good and handel great in the rain.

coast is around $120 a tire

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Right now im looking at 245's...

But for the Fuzion's thats $480 PLUS shipping.... Really not even an option for me. For that I could get a set of Nitto 555's (245) and be done with it.

Cost is the main thing. I wasnt expecting to have to replace so soon, but I ended up with two flat tires so this is the situation that im in.

I bought the car with 3 different brands of tires, so replacing just two is not an option (4 different brands??).

4valvemach

Established Member
firestone firehawk GT $101.99

Falken ziex 912 $119.99

Potenza G019 grid $135.99

This is from Tires Plus Total Car Care you can knock them down on the out the door price for all 4.

If you wanted the grid G019 I think you could get all 4 mounted and balanced out the door for $480 if not less just so the could get the sale.

Last edited:

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
First, I want to say thanks for the quick response.

I can get the Bridgestone Potenza's for $91, plus the shipping to me. A little bit less than $450 shipped to me.

Are any of these tires that you listed BETTER than the Potenza RE-05s??

Really im just trying to figure out if its worth the extra money. The Sumitomos are looking really good for that price.

Where in Florida are you located? Im looking for people in my area that are into cars like me....

4valvemach

Established Member
First, I want to say thanks for the quick response.

I can get the Bridgestone Potenza's for $91, plus the shipping to me. A little bit less than $450 shipped to me.

Are any of these tires that you listed BETTER than the Potenza RE-05s??

Really im just trying to figure out if its worth the extra money. The Sumitomos are looking really good for that price.

Where in Florida are you located? Im looking for people in my area that are into cars like me....

What style potenza for $91?
I work for tires plus and the District Manager for your area is real crazy about "NO CUSTOMER WALKS" thats why I said you could knock them down on the price of tires.You could get the primewell for around $90 just dont expect to much from it.

Whats the tread wear on the sumitomo's for that price?Fuzions in a 245 should be around $105 a tire

I would pick the Fuzion or Potenza G019 grid it has a 420 tread wear and should last about 40-60k miles how well it hooks on the track I dont know

Im in Melbourne

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
These....

The Potenza RE-01R (with the "R" signifying Revolutionary) is the Extreme Performance Summer tire member of Bridgestone's global family of Potenza performance tires.

They look like really f**king awesome tires for $91. The Sumitumo's are like $150 less, but for the price, I think I might spring for the Bridgestone's.

What do you think?

Being that you work for a tire company, your opinion really counts.

I dont know if you get commission, but if you can get me a better deal, let me know and I will go through you.

Thanks!

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Im looking for traction too, not just tread wear. I mean, 10,000 is just not acceptable, but if they were gonna last 20-25 thousand miles and hook better, I could deal with that../.

4valvemach

Established Member
Potenza RE-01R
tread wear=140
traction=A
Temperature=A

I would buy it for $20 at most if, you got 10k miles out of them I would be very very shocked!!

Tires are tested in a controlled enviornment and graded

Tread wear=the lower the number the faster it wears away
example a tire with 000 tread wear would be a drag tire, a tire with 600 would be a 60k-70k mile tire

Traction=how well it can displace water AA=very good C=poor
temperature=how well it can dissapate heat A=good c=poor

^Might not be perfect but from what I can remeber its about 98% correct^
Going buy the tread wear number is not fullproof but it is a very good guide to use.I had goodyears with a 280 tread wear and they wore out in about 8k miles.

I gave up my Sales spot just got tired of it but Im sure you could get them guys DOWN on the price.

Last edited:

4valvemach

Established Member
I would pick the Fuzion ZRI because it has
tread wear=320
cost $105 each in a 245/45/17
handle great in the rain
hook good on the street,track dont know be should be good just heat the piss out of them
should get at least 30k miles out of them
should have no problem getting all 4 mounted and balanced out the door for $450 or less.

Just price shop tiresplus,firestone,gato's,goodyear,tirekingdom so you can be able to get a good deal.

Last edited:

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
I ended up getting the Bridgestones... I really couldnt spend the money for anything better at this point.

My plan is to get some miles out of these, save up, and get a set of DR's for the back. With the Bridgestones only on the front, they should last me awhile.

EVO-lution

Established Member
i hate bridgestones...at least when I have to change them. They're a dry sidewall so sometimes they're a big PIMD to get off. I had sumitumo's on my cobra and went 12K on em and still had 5-6/32 left.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Don't buy the SUCKYtomos!! They are arguably the WORST tire I've ever had. I'd rock tigerpaws before rolling on suckytomos again!!..they were mediocre at best in dry conditions and downright hazardous in ANY type of wet condition.:nonono:

On the other hand I love my bridgestones. :rockon:

Others for FTW- GY/GSD3's
- BFG/KDW or KDWS
- Nitto Invo's

GL :thumbsup:

EVO-lution

Established Member
the KDW's NT are really good in wet/dry conditions. their treadwear is horrible IMO. my boy got about 10K on his rears on his M3 and they're BALD. not even low on tread, no tread. His fronts are like new still though. and he doesn't do burnouts either:shrug:

IShb3w

Established Member
i realize its a late response, but im just gonna throw in my .02. i used to be running the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in the back, and they hooked awesome, i pulled 1.81 60ft times at the track (im an auto). Currently im running the Falken RT-615's and i freaking HATE THEM, i cant hook at all compared to the F1's. Granted the Goodyear is more expensive but if you are looking for grip, as you should be with a car like this, i recommend the Goodyear. I currently have the Nitto 555 in the front and have no complaints, they take turns well it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread