What Tires are you using now ??

Trblmkr

Established Member
It's about time for me to replace my BF Goodrich T/A Comp tires.. I was looking at the KDW's, then I started looking at the Pilot A/S's.

I'd like to know what you guys have tried in the past, and what you are using now, and which you feel are better?

Normally I'd just go with OEM, but these suckers wore out too quick for my tastes. Maybe it's because of my aggressive driving habit :)

Normally I'd just go with Dry handling as the main factor, but with as much rain as we've hadn in the Northern Virginia area, I have to look at the Wet side of the factor as well. So I guess you guys from Fl, Ga, Ms, and some of the other states that deal with rain on a daily basis could offer up some good info.

We did have a GOOD amount of snow fall this past winter, so I'm hoping I won't see that for a while.

Let me know your suggestions

also posted this in the All Mustangs Room as well for other inputs
Thanks

Taz

Established Member
I'm running the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions. Compared to the OEM BFG's, these offer MUCH more grip. Wet weather performance wasn't a consideration for me, since my snake isn't a daily driver and never sees rain, but the S-03's supposedly offer superior grip on wet surfaces, as well as dry.

Tire Rack's website offers lots of tire reviews and comparisons. You might give them a look before making your choice.

T-

Trblmkr

Established Member
I've looked there, and done alot of reading, but sometimes it's just better to take it right to the guys that are driving the same type of vehicle you are. Helps to weed out the garbage posts. (do I really care if a BMW is running on such and such tire LOL)

Taz

Established Member
I hear you. I thought Tire Rack might be more helpful for two reasons:

1. If you're lucky, You might get 2, maybe 3 responses to this post about any particular tire. Not a statistically significant sample, as statisticians like to say. In other words, you'll have a couple of subjective opinions (like my S03 recommendation above) about any given tire. Maybe what's important to us in a tire and the trade-offs we're willing to make coincide with yours; maybe they don't. If you look here, you'll find overall ratings based on the opinions a very large sample of drivers:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/max.jsp

Also, the guys at Tire Rack perform objective, quantitative testing of most of the hot tires. You can compare the numbers in the categories most important to you.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp

It doesn't matter to me how you arrive at your tire selection. I chose the route I suggested above and ended up with the S-03's, but you probably can't go wrong choosing any of the top-rated tires.

BTW, you can filter Tire Rack's reviews by vehicle type. If you don't care what the people driving BMW's think about a particular tire, you don't have to see their responses.

Good luck.

T-

Last edited:

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
I'm also in Northern,VA and I run Nitto's on my car. Dry weather is a no brainer, wet weather needs caution with the drag radials. My front tires are regular NT 555 nitto's and they do fine in the rain. Hope this helps.

Razor.:beer:

MineralGSVT

Established Member
Just changed to Nitto 555s all the way around on my AFS 18s.. much better grip than the Comp T/As.. haven't had them in the rain, but I've heard good things from my Dad.. he has them on his Saleen...

Good Luck!

Spiffy668

Established Member
<-- Kumho Ecsta MX (255/40 and 285/40/17s)

Great wet and dry traction. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. Much better than my Dunlop S5000s that came with the car when I bought it.

fangstang

Established Member
I think I'm going with the new Goodyear Eagle F1's. Not the ones on the new cobras, but the ones that look like the Yokahama AVS. Great, Great reviews. Highly recommended for agressive street driving and probably one of the better wet traction sport tire on the market.

4camV8

Established Member
NItto NT 555's all around... awesome tire, wet or dry... don't know about how long they last cause i've only had them 2 weeks...

G

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Tires, don't get me started. I have a set of Comp T/A with 9,000 miles. The tread is actually starting to separate from the tire (on all four tires). The tires have not even been abused. i just spent the past two weeks fighting with BF Goodrich and the dealer. Finally BF agrees to prorate a new set of tires because the ones i have are defective. Of course they don't make the comp T/A's anymore, so it looks like i have to replace them with the g-force KDW....Still gets pretty expensive!

wrenchhead46

Established Member
I'm running potenza S03's and theyre great! Another cool thing about them...when tread gets half way, a new tread layer emerges! Definately the best choice I could have made!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Taz
I'm running the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions. Compared to the OEM BFG's, these offer MUCH more grip. Wet weather performance wasn't a consideration for me, since my snake isn't a daily driver and never sees rain, but the S-03's supposedly offer superior grip on wet surfaces, as well as dry.

Tire Rack's website offers lots of tire reviews and comparisons. You might give them a look before making your choice.

T-

No question about it. S03 Poles are the way to go. Very, Very sticky tire, both wet and dry.

When I had the T/A on I could break the back end loose in 2nd and 3rd w/ the TC on. To break the back end loose now I MUST have the TC off.

It is almost scary at how much traction these things have.

Love. At $248 a pop, how can you go wrong ?

Vinnie T

Established Member
Michelin Pilot Sports. Got a great buy on them at TireRack when I was changing rims. Wouldn't have bought them otherwise since the normal price is prohibitive. They've been fantastic so far, but haven't had them in the rain yet. Have been warned by some that they can make wet-weather driving interesting. Guess that's why they came out with the Pilot Sport A/S?
Prior to this, I had run 255/45 Kumho 712's on the stock rims. Great bang for the buck, but they do have their limitations. Have heard good things about the Kumho MX, which may be worth the extra money but still a great buy.
As others have suggested, check out the customer ratings and comments at TireRack. A lot of good info can be had there, and it makes your tire choice much easier.

Last edited:

Tom01Snake

Established Member
Riken Raptors, 275/40/17. $139 each installed. Very good buy in my opinion and I will be a repeat buyer. Great for the street, twisties, great in the rain. I have not drag raced on them yet, but I will do that this weekend.

I just noticed that Steeda has started carrying them on their website also.

They were an unknown to me when the shop guy suggested them, but I have been REALLY PLEASED with these tires. I think they are an entry level Michelin brand.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Kumho Ecsta MX everyone talks about how good of a tire these are, and I can complain, Most of the time first gear is useless, and on concrete streets, forget it. I'm not sure what I will go with next, depends on what wheels I go with.

High-G Racing

Established Member
I have the F1 GS-D3's (the tire that Fangstang is talking about. I love them. They have great dry and wet traction. I actually am selling the ones that I have on here, as a matter of fact. They have 137 miles on them, and I love them. The only reason that I am selling them is, I have switched wheels, and have gone to a wider tire. I had 255/40/17's and I have gone to 275/40/17's.

If you are interested, take a look at them on the Tirerack.com, here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ch=false&partnum=54YR7F1GSD3&fromCompare1=yes

If you like them, you can slide over to my post in The Market and check out mine that I have for sale.

High-G

Users who are viewing this thread