What timing with Whipple 2.3

HPLouis

Established Member
I'm going from the Stieg ported eaton at 12.8lbs of boost to a 2.3 Whipple with the stock pulley (3.5, I think). I'm not sure of the boost level it'll be at but I'm wondering what is everyone running for spark? Are you running more or less than the Eatons? I was thinking of starting at 16 degrees and working up from there.

Thanks

PC03GT

Established Member
I'm going from the Stieg ported eaton at 12.8lbs of boost to a 2.3 Whipple with the stock pulley (3.5, I think). I'm not sure of the boost level it'll be at but I'm wondering what is everyone running for spark? Are you running more or less than the Eatons? I was thinking of starting at 16 degrees and working up from there.

Thanks
I was told 18 degrees is the sweet spot

MG0h3

Established Member
Kid I bought my car from had everything done at AED.

2.9 Whipple 15 psi 91 octane.

17* but he backed it to 15 around peak torque then ramped back to 17

If you see 15psi I think 18 should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Figure out what boost level you'll be at.

I think it was Lasota that came up with the 17/17 rule. 17 degrees of timing at 17psi on pump gas. If you raise one lower the other. It's a starting point at least.

HPLouis

Established Member
Figure out what boost level you'll be at.

I think it was Lasota that came up with the 17/17 rule. 17 degrees of timing at 17psi on pump gas. If you raise one lower the other. It's a starting point at least.
Yes, I remember that. It was in his book.
It was 18 degrees at 17lbs of boost and 93 octane.

I'm starting with the stock pulley and from what I read, it should be 13lbs of boost......pretty much where I am now with the Eaton.

Thanks

HPLouis

Established Member
Why not start with a 3.0 pulley and just pull timing?
Let me call Whipple on Monday. Maybe they'll let me change the pulley. My invoice shows 3.5 pulley so since it's a separate line item, they might let me swap it out since they build the superchargers per order.

MG0h3

Established Member
I’d get a grip tech or find an RR if you can.
It’ll save you a lot of grief and you won’t need a super tight belt.

I run a 2.9RR upper/stock lower on my 2.9 Whipple. Snub idler but otherwise stock tension wise. Stock tensioner and no Whipple tensioner in there. No issues for years.

For whatever reason, seems Whipple’s only come with a 3.5. Not sure if you can change. Maybe that’s the default.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wasn't able to find a polished pulley. I ended up getting one used and polished it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread