What The Hell, Are The Mach's That Fast Or Is My Car Slow?

QUADCAM-J

Established Member
Hello everyone, I don't post often, but I figured this was worth talking about. A good friend of mine bought himself a 04 Mach 1 here recently. The car is mostly stock with a Predator box tune, and a brand new MGW.
Now, I myself drive a 97 Cobra with H-pipe, Mac CB, MGW, C&L cai, and 4.10's. My car has about 72k on it and his car has right at 8k.

Now that all the background crap is out of the way, we decided after installing his MGW today; to run them. I got a fair launch...so did he, caught all of my gears....as did he, and at the end of the road....about 1/3 mile.....the Mach was out front by half a car.

So, assuming that my car runs well, and it does; are Mach 1's that damn fast or is my car just that damn slow?
Appreciate all opinions on the subject, God Bless.
-Josh

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
Yeah mach 1's are faster than I expected. That sounds about right. I have some friends with heavily modded ones and I can't even hang :(

QUADCAM-J

Established Member
That's terrible, we are supposed to run at the track tuesday. I expect to lose, but maybe I can catch him sleeping at the light.....dang C-head cars just upsets me that a virtually stock car with about the same horsepower rating can run me down like that.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Mach's are quick. I spanked a few mild bolt on (lid, shifter, catback, drag radials) LS1s in mine when it was basically stock (had a shifter and K&N drop in....woohoo). People have hit 12's in 5 speed Mach's with ONLY drag radials. :rockon:

albino96

Established Member
you should come up with like 500 bucks and get a used nitrous kit. With a 75 shot you'll be in front of him :burnout:

QUADCAM-J

Established Member
Yeah, that would be possible; but spray really scares me. I have no experience with it, and have no idea about the safe/unsafe rules of the stuff.

albino96

Established Member
QUADCAM-J said:
Yeah, that would be possible; but spray really scares me. I have no experience with it, and have no idea about the safe/unsafe rules of the stuff.

I'm kinda the same. My car has a whole lot of miles, but I'm trying to get a kit to run a 75 shot. I have been looking around for a while and have an nx kit picked out. i don't really know much about it, but I'm getting all the safety bells and whistles and stuff. If my motor blows... I'll be forced to get a built one!

QUADCAM-J

Established Member
Yeah, I just got married, and I'm pretty sure that if I smoke this engine it would be rather rocky in my home. What I need to do is buy a wrecked 01 Cobra and do a transplant, I hear they take to mods a little better that the first generation 4V's do. Any idea what those engines run these days?

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Your race is dead on. The 4V in the Mach 1's make really good HP and TQ. With just a catted X, weld in Flows, KN filter, and a tune my friend's 04 made 296 rwhp.....not bad. The 305 rating for the Mach's is BS. I would guess to make the 99/01 Cobras look better.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
QUADCAM-J said:
Yeah, I just got married, and I'm pretty sure that if I smoke this engine it would be rather rocky in my home. What I need to do is buy a wrecked 01 Cobra and do a transplant, I hear they take to mods a little better that the first generation 4V's do. Any idea what those engines run these days?

Dude there is NO WAY I'd spend the money to get another 4v motor that might make 20rwhp more than yours. I don't know alot about the SN95 4v Cobras but I do know enough that you need 4.30 gears (DO NOT fear the gear), make the intake flow better, and get headers. Those mods alone will put you more than a carlength infront of the Mach1.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I used to have a Mach 1 and it ripped! Stock they are damn fast. like stated above some really good drivers have ripped high 12's with just drag radials in the Mach. My current Cobra can edge them out. But I have full exhaust and a t-56 with 373's. And thats against stock Machs. So take it for what it is. Our cars are 11-9 years old. Still impressive if you ask me. But as soon as he adds more mods
he will leave you. Just say **** it and go F.I.!

19svt97

Established Member
Yeah those mach 1's are fast!!! According to a ford site the 5speed run the 1/4 mile at 13.2 and the automatics at 13.8 both STOCK.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
dfresh said:
A guy that lives around me has just a catback on his 04 mach1 and dynoed at 330 rwhp!

IDK, that would be a tough one to believe.

TERMINATED97

Established Member
^^^ I agree but thats what he told me and he kept up with my bros vortech 98 cobra for a lil bit, at the end my bro had probably 2 or 3 cars on him

fourvalvegt

Established Member
it dont take that much for machs to make 300 hp at the wheels our shop does a lot of work with our local mach guys and you wouldnt believe how well they respond to mods and there are some very good ones that they do

QUADCAM-J

Established Member
Well, I don't mind that his car is faster; it just bothers me that I have the mods I have and he can still pull me. He is looking to get a 4.10 in a couple weeks, so I'm guessing after that I have no chance.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
QUADCAM-J said:
Well, I don't mind that his car is faster; it just bothers me that I have the mods I have and he can still pull me. He is looking to get a 4.10 in a couple weeks, so I'm guessing after that I have no chance.

His motor from the throttle body BACK flows alot better than your car. If I were you the first thing I would do is take that intake off and make it flow better!

Users who are viewing this thread