What suspension set up do the 00R's have...

Hunter6

Established Member
What suspension set up do the 00R's have, why is it so good, where can we get it, and how much will it cost us?

predator

Established Member
Maybe to help you answer your question.....ask the guys in the Cobra R forum. Always helpful with a lot of good info on their cars. A lot of them have modified their stock suspension.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
who says its so good? its comparable to the '03 cobra suspension. the '03 cobra has the irs changes with the exception of the high temp boots on the tie rod ends. the front suspension on the '03 has revised a-arms for tighter turning radius. only meaningful difference is spring rate and shock valving.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I'm assuming he's referring to the skidpad numbers. I think the "R" pulls around a G, or .99, while the '03 pulls like .87 or something like that. Also, the SVT website archives describes the rear suspension a bit differently:

2003 Cobra
Front Suspension:
Modified MacPherson strut system with gas-charged Bilstein™ monotube dampeners and separate 600 lb/in (500 lb/in on convertible) spring on lower arm, 29mm tubular stabilizer bar

Rear Suspension:
Multi-link independent system, cast iron upper control arm, aluminum lower control arm, fixed toe-control tie rod, aluminum spindle, gas-charged Bilstein™ monotube shock absorber, 600 lb/in (470 lb/in on convertible) coil spring, 26mm tubular stabilizer bar

2000 Cobra R
Front Suspension:
Modified MacPherson strut with gas-charged, monotube Bilstein™ shocks, separate 800 lb./in. Eibach™ spring on lower arm; 28mm tubular stabilizer bar

Rear Suspension:
Dual A-arm independent with high durometer bushings, steel upper control arm, aluminum lower control arm; fixed toe-control tie rod, aluminum spindle; gas-charged Bilstein™ twin-tube shock absorbers; 750 lb./in. Eibach™ coil spring; 26mm tubular stabilizer bar

The tires are, of course, also different.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Basically all the bushings in the 00R are much stiffer. Different shocks, springs and sway bars. The rear tie rods are stronger (better geometry as well compared to 99/01s) They also had a lot of NVH material removed. They are quite close to the 03 suspension wise.

Hunter6

Established Member
The Cobra R guys haven't been much help. They have not responded yet.

G's is one thing I am refering to. Slalom is another. Track times...yet another. The December 5.0&SF for example has the 00R pulling .94g vs 03 .82g. The 00R doing the slalom at 69mph and the 03 at 64mph. I would be wiling to bet that the 00R would prove quicker on any track as well.

So I want to know what gets the 00R the great numbers. It is a phenominal handler and I would like to 03 to be more like the 00R. I know coilovers is a way to go...but I wanted to know how the 00R does the suspension. From what cydewaze reports it looks like a lot of it is in the spring rate. Do the 00R springs make the car sit lower also? Do they fit in the 03's?

I'm sure the BFG's help a lot also!

Snake Eyes

Established Member
The reason the 00R performs so much better is it has one of the best non R compound tire you can buy with more aggressive alignment settings and slightly wider (and lighter) wheels (9.5 inches wide). The sway bars and springs are also stiffer allowing less body roll and a lower stance. Another reason is the splitter and spoiler provide tons of down force. In fact if you were to put the R spoiler on a 03, you would be riding on the bumpstops at 100 MPH. (so the rear springs are much stiffer than ideal, but you need the extra stiffness to account for the spoiler). So don't use the 00R rear springs unless you are going to use the spoiler. The best non-coil-over springs in my opinion are the H&Rs but since you already have good shocks I would get Maximum Motorsports coil-over kit. Also the 00R has a better weight distribution than the 03.

Basically when all is said and done the 00R is just lower, with a stiffer suspension, more down force and grip.

Users who are viewing this thread