What supplements to gain muscle (not bodybuilding type)

joemayo

Established Member
Looking to gain some more muscle in my upper body. I'm already in good shape but want a more defined chest and shoulders. I'm not looking to get huge like a body builder etc. I'm 6'3 197lbs. Just wanted to ask before I go out and buy stuff I'm not really sure that will help me. Heard regular protein then whey protein? I have a regular work out plan for the gym just need that extra push to get that better chest.

PureStang

Established Member
i would normally say cut a little bit of weight, but your really tall lol.

i work out a little and have a bit of deffinition, not big, but im 5'8" and 205 lbs. all i use for supplements are 100% whey protein (well..except for vitimin tablets but i believe everyone should take the lol). i really like this site: Scoobys Home Bodybuilding Workouts because the dude is just an everyday person like you and i...and he is goofball. good luck.

snakebite6

Established Member
Get black powder. That stuff is like creatine X 100. But it's not steroids. You can get it at any GNC or similar places.

JasonSnake

Established Member
I just don't trust any of these "weight gain" products anymore. They put all kinds of artificial crap in them.

I've been using soy protein powder. Has 25g of protein per serving and I mix it with fruits and whole milk in the blender. I use whole milk b/c I am way too skinny anyway. 5'9" @ 150.

Genisoy | Ultra-XT Natural Unflavored Protein Powder

mustangbee

Established Member
dude its real simple....lift weights, eat clean and often...high protein, your gonna need at least 240 grams a day imo

your not gonna get bodybuilder huge, even if you train like one...that takes lots of time, if you feel your getting "too big" just back off the weights some, but that aint gonna happen fast man

i dont understand this concept ppl tell me about not getting "too big"...women mostly, but alot of men think thats gonna happen fast

even at 6'3 dude you can hide ALOT of muscle depending on how you dress... you sound like you want a wide receiver cut look, thats fine, but even if you were 215lbs solid muscle, at 6'3 thats still fairly lanky, its spread out more. remember though your bodyfat determines how you look...

a man at 197lbs cut 7%-10% and lean is ALOT different than a man 197lbs normal, 17-20% bf..the guy with the lower bf has alot more muscle on him, same wieght, less fat

like i said, you dont have to look like a bodybuilder in order to train like one and get the results YOU want, it'll just make it go faster and from there you can maintain your look with a good diet

you wont just wake up crying thinking that you've gone too far, as long as you use the mirror and scale

Last edited:

mustangbee

Established Member
I just don't trust any of these "weight gain" products anymore. They put all kinds of artificial crap in them.

I've been using soy protein powder. Has 25g of protein per serving and I mix it with fruits and whole milk in the blender. I use whole milk b/c I am way too skinny anyway. 5'9" @ 150.

Genisoy | Ultra-XT Natural Unflavored Protein Powder

do NOT use soy protein, studies have shown it to slightly increase estrogen, esp over prolonged use.

a small increase will not hurt you, but it def ain't helping at all. use whey protein and eat clean and often

Last edited:

JasonSnake

Established Member
do NOT use soy protein, studies have shown it to slightly increase estrogen, esp over prolonged use.

a small increase will not hurt you, but it def ain't helping at all. use whey protein and eat clean and often

I better read up on this before I start growing man boobs!

Panic661

Established Member
Protein, good diet, which will vary for what you want..

Anyone drink "muscle milk" is it worth a damn or are you better off just buying the jugs of whey protein..

Not to hijack, but, I'm hoping to start going to the gym to gain weight.. I'm like 5'7 130.. I can be a couch potato and not gain a pound..and even when I'm working I don't gain weight, or any sort of bulk..

Zentenk

Established Member
Lift heavier iin the regions you want to grow and cut fat with good diet if you aren't low in body fat, it will slim your waist and make your upper body appear larger.

mustangbee

Established Member
Protein, good diet, which will vary for what you want..

Anyone drink "muscle milk" is it worth a damn or are you better off just buying the jugs of whey protein..

Not to hijack, but, I'm hoping to start going to the gym to gain weight.. I'm like 5'7 130.. I can be a couch potato and not gain a pound..and even when I'm working I don't gain weight, or any sort of bulk..

well their all decent except for soy protein imo, whey is ideal...the idea is to break down the muscle fibers then slam down the protein...and be consistent

your protein should come from food first if your gaining weight, lots of clean food

guys, anyone can gain weight, anyone. its just about what kind of weight do you want? think about what your putting into your body..

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
i beleive mustangbee basically summed it up. Alot of you waste so much money on powders and etc. If you want size, you need to eat real foods like 4-6 eggs in the morning. After that, eat a bunch of meat products the rest of the day. Unless your a lard ass, you shouldnt worry about fat content in the meat and eggs. At 6'3" 197, sounds like your only gonna get skinnier looking with your goals. You need to eAT,eat, eat and lift heavy. There is no supplement like what your looking for except the real deal steroids, but even still, when your on roids you need to be eating at least 6-8000 calories if you want to max the results

ka3ak

Breast Connoisseur
Established Member
It's all about diet / protein intake. Supplements are mostly marketing hype and a huge waste of money.

supplements _supplement_ your food intake, not replace it. getting 1.5 - 2 grams of protein per pound of weight from real food is $$$.

OrangeCobra2004

Established Member
Alot of people seem to be against soy protein. For me it is the only thing that agrees with me. Whey protein pretty much makes my throat close up and can't breath, its weird because I can have milk and eggs.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Alot of people seem to be against soy protein. For me it is the only thing that agrees with me. Whey protein pretty much makes my throat close up and can't breath, its weird because I can have milk and eggs.

:dw:... Then you're not stirring it enough.:shrug: It almost sounds like you're stirring it so that there's still little grains of whey left dry and un-stirred.

Here's what you do. You don't need protein shakes anything. You just need to eat enough calories, proteins, etc so that your body will repair itself and grow. The protein shakes is just to aid you with your daily requirements. You CAN eat too much calories. There are some formulas out there (one that I'm currently on) that you can use to find out your daily requirements. I also use Fitday.com to help keep track of my progress. Once you get consistent with your nutritional requirements and you add a FULL body workout to your schedule, you'll get stronger.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Started at 165 in 1 week i went to 173.8. I am taking prohormone R6 Black, its made by british dragons... Good shit... Its a dietry supplment. I also take Whey protein 2-3 times a day, and i eat like crazy... I worked out before and i was on a straight creatine diet and i never gained as fast as i did once i got on this synthetic hormone. No side effects except really thristy... I also take estrogen blocker, natural testotorne blocker, omega 3 and liver care... with whey protein... I try to eat alot of boiled eggs... I have noticed noticble gains in just the first week. Where i bought it told me i should get close to 15-20 lbs in 1 month... My friend who did it said he blew up big time, and hes a big roid user...

CobraKid04

Established Member
It's all in what you eat...BUT..Supplements DOOO help. Choose multigrain foods, cut out Fried food, and don't eat a bunch of cabs past 8pm.

Stuff I take that I think help Alot...

Morning..

Right when I wake up. Whey protein Optimum Nutrition 1 scoop with water. 20 min later I eat fruits. and oats. Some guys say eat tons of eggs..well if you like your colesterol to be through the roof go for it. Egg whites are a good substitue but expensive.
Multi vit
omega 3 6 9
vit c 500mg
Pre..
Green Magnitude (controlled labs) cheap and very effective
caffine pill (200mg) also cheap and is whats in most of the pre workout mixes anyway.
Go off of these every month for 2 weeks so they stay effective.

Post..
Bulking (winter) I take Dark Matter by MHP. This stuff helps with recovery but not ideal for being cut.

Cutting...(summer).
Pre is always the same

Post...
1 banana 10 min before whey protein
Optimum Nutrition whey 2 scoops with water.

Bed
whey 1 scoop in 12oz of milk.

sounds like a lot but it's just 2 products..They are both cheap and high quality products.

Don't buy this stuff from GNC or retail stores get it online much cheaper.

Try www.Prosource.net

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread