what springs do you run?

wheelhopper

Established Member
Coilover or conventional? Also some details, like what is the car and what your using it for would help. What is the front spring rate you are using? That makes a difference as to what rear spring is used.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I run 375lb springs in the front and use 575# in the rear. If my struts and shocks could handle it I would use 400lb front and 600 rear.

I did have the 325# front and 475# rear at one time. It was a great all around performance combo. Handled turns better than stock, rode nice on the street with a sporty feel, and I could still get 1.7 60' times at the drag strip.

2001asp

Established Member
This is the kind of info I have been searching for the longest time. I have an 01Cobra and so I'm a little lighter then the 03-04 guys. I was shipped a 12-250 rate Eibach 2.5 ID front springs and UPR says there gonna be great. I think I will be buying a set of 12-325 for the front and for the rear I will just use a set of H&R Sports......what do you think....O and I use my car as a DD. I have the full UPR K member kit. See mods in sig. I want to be able to go on the on/off ramps faster with out all the body roll that exists now. I also never go drag racing except for the rare traffic light run-in. On a side note I would not mind being able to take out your average WRX/STI in the corners while on the street....would this setup be able to handle that ? Sorry to the OP for robbing his post.......... Also I could send back that 12-250 rate spring and get their 350 rate spring but they said that my car would not be fun to drive on the streets.......... Also for my strut/shocks I will be getting the Koni sport SA's.
V/R
-Alex

Last edited:

racer

Established Member
I run 375lb springs in the front and use 575# in the rear. If my struts and shocks could handle it I would use 400lb front and 600 rear.

I did have the 325# front and 475# rear at one time. It was a great all around performance combo. Handled turns better than stock, rode nice on the street with a sporty feel, and I could still get 1.7 60' times at the drag strip.

Your running stiffer springs in the rear? How does that work?
I havent got the info in front of me but I ran softer springs on the back due to the weight difference.
I need to stop by the shop to see what the rear spring rates are.

sprint200

Established Member
Don't know how much the S197's translate back...............but I'm running 550's in front and 275 in the rear on true coilovers all around.:beer:

2001asp

Established Member
yeah running softer springs in the rear will keep that a** from coming around on you. Thats why I will be running the H&R sports vs. the H&R race. If I wrong,,,,let me know....

wheelhopper

Established Member
I havent got the info in front of me but I ran softer springs on the back due to the weight difference.

I wish I could give you a great technical explanation of why I use higher rate springs in the rear. The truth is I called MM and told them that I had their C/O kit and that I used my car for open track, as well as what struts/shocks I had. They recomended the combo that I listed.

I have used it for 7 OT events, and feel my car handles well. I have stayed right on the tail of well driven cars that would normally dominate through tight corners, such as Miatas and even a supercharged Lotus. The only time my rear came around was when I was driving on track with 2 hours sleep, felt like crap, and turned in to early. When I had to turn the tires more to compensate after the way early apex, I spun out.

If there are a lot of Terminator guys, with coilovers, running lower rates in the rear successfully speak up. I have no problem trying out different suspension set ups.

It does suck for drag racing.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Best thing you can do is call Maximum Motorsports and give them your specs. Their tech guys can tell you what you should have based on your shocks/struts and any other suspension modifications.

2001asp

Established Member
I will go out on a lim here....call Keenan at All Aspects Motorsports Chesapeake, VA

547-2888.. He builds/tunes mustang race cars and drives one himself. He uses MM gear but laughs at some of their advice. He runs circles around most of their best setup cars. If you would like some different information then MM. He is really easy to talk to. Just prepare your ???'s in advance as he does own/run his business.

steve121

Established Member

Doug,
I'm using 450# up front and 625# in the rear but I had to buy new struts to handle it.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Steve, I would like to use stiffer spring rates, however I am at my factory struts and shocks limit. I did do some weight reduction in the front, which I guess gives the car a stiffer spring feel. Another issue with me going to a stiffer spring is that I do drive my car on the street some. I bet your spring rates pick up every little bump on the public road, and could make a back road jaunt a little scary. I have not decided yet to make my Terminator a 95% track only toy.

Glad to see that I am with the rest of the pack with the stiffer spring rates in the rear and not totally screwing up.

GR-40 Pat

Established Member

I think they are referring to an IRS, which uses a much higher spring rate in the rear compared to the front. I've never seen a solid axle setup use a higher rear spring rate when compared to the front.

Motion Ratio is the reasoning behind it, it's also why an MM or Griggs system requires different spring rates. The changes to the suspension geometry have different effects on the motion ratio among other things.

Converting to a coil-over is the most dramatic change in motion ratio, if you compare a stock front spring (approx 800lbs/in.) to a coil-over setup (350lbs/in.) which moves the spring to another location (changing the motion ratio) the rate is cut in half.

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
do some progressive Saleen springs sound good? I tihnk i might be able to grab them for cheap since I only need the rears. :shrug:

I'm having trouble finding what rate they are suppose to be.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running the KW variant 3 coilover setup, spring rates are 400 front and back. front are real coilovers while the back has the shock and spring separate (darn KW couldn't figure out how to make real coilovers for the rear on a solid axle mustang).

I didn't get a chance to run the car on a race track before the motor blew but from the little driving I did around twisty roads the car handled really well with the base settings of the KW kit, I didn't mess with rebound or compression settings yet.

I used to have steeda competition springs and tokico 5-way adjustables and liked it but with the KW kit the car handles way better. only down side is that the spring perch (sp?)on the rear is a pita, it's adjustable in height and it kept lowering itself while driving around. another thing I will have to check and fix when I ever get my car back up running.

Users who are viewing this thread