what spline clutch am I looking for?

Bullseye96

underestimated SVT
Established Member
need to replace the clutch in my 96. I'm asked for 10 or 21? spline. also if you have recomendations that would be appreciated. here's what I'm looking for. Medium pedal pressure (traffic friendly), can handle up to 500whp & approx tq, and $400 or less. I'm leaning toward Spec stg 2, or Centerforce DF.

blk96SVT

Established Member
You need a 10 spline unless you don't have the stock t45 trans. Spec stage 2 is alright. I have a Fidanza waiting to go into my car. I have went thru 2 Spec stage 3's so its time for something different.

Bullseye96

underestimated SVT
Established Member
You need a 10 spline unless you don't have the stock t45 trans. Spec stage 2 is alright. I have a Fidanza waiting to go into my car. I have went thru 2 Spec stage 3's so its time for something different.

thanks! that Fidanza is also on my list. I was wondering it was a good brand.
why so many Stage 3s? just don't hold up? do you put them thorugh a lot of track time, or they just can't hold your power?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i loved my spec stage 2. it was an awesome clutch. I was making about 440rwhp and and 540ft/lbs of torque at the wheels (the clutch was seeing well over 600ft/lbs) and it ran fine. I abused the crap out of that clutch and it held up.

I know have a Stage 3. My next clutch will be a Stage 2+. Stage 3 is nice, but I liked the stage 2 better.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I run a spec 2 in mine...it doesn't get alot of power through it now, but it will soon hopefully:) As far as pedal feel and drivability its great.

Bullseye96

underestimated SVT
Established Member
ok, gentlemen. I now have the spec 2+. I'll be putting it in this weekend but I need to know if I'll need a pilot bearing puller, and if I NEED an aftermarket quadrant.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
ok, gentlemen. I now have the spec 2+. I'll be putting it in this weekend but I need to know if I'll need a pilot bearing puller, and if I NEED an aftermarket quadrant.

If you change the pilot bearing a puller is nice to have.

With the 2+ I did have stock quadrant flex and had to change it.

Bullseye96

underestimated SVT
Established Member
If you change the pilot bearing a puller is nice to have.

With the 2+ I did have stock quadrant flex and had to change it.

ok cool. new quadrant coming up. I'd rather not change the cable, I heard that there is a quadrant that requires another cable. can you tell me which one that is? when I buy the quadrant I just want to install it and be done. you know how it is when you think you have everything, then come to find out you need more sh*t to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread