What Spline are the Stock 03/04 Cobra Half Shafts?

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
I've heard they are only 10 Spline so I'm wondering if this is correct? If it is, then why would Ford put in so cheap a Half Shaft in the first place except to save $$$?

~ Fresh :beer:

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
thanks for the info

OK..then what makes the DSS Stage 2 or 5 sp much better? I believe the Stage 5 costs around 1900-2K so what is so special about them for that kind of money?

Fresh :shrug:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have a set of the DSS level 5s and they are great, the difference is the material and thickness DSS use in each half shaft if I recall. DSS's website would be a great start, heck even call them up and ask DSS.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The DSS lvl 5 shafts are actually smaller diameter and the steel used along with the tempering/heat treating allows for a torsional twist which alleviates the shock to the DV's. The outboard stub shaft is also significantly larger. Here are a couple pics I took from when I put mine in.

Stock shaft is on the right, DSS lvl 5 on left.

halfshaft.jpg

DSS lvl 5 hub

hub.jpg

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
KBCOBRA...thanks for the pics and info!!!

I'm still looking to find out if the Level 2 or 5 Half Shafts are worth the time and money to buy them and have them installed???

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Fresh Cobra
KBCOBRA...thanks for the pics and info!!!

I'm still looking to find out if the Level 2 or 5 Half Shafts are worth the time and money to buy them and have them installed???

The level 2's are just the center bar. The level 5's use the stock inner CV but come with a new outer. The labor involed in doing the level 2 is almost the same as the level 5. only diff is on the level 5 you have to press a new hub into the knuckle, but either wya the knuckle has to be removed. Its really not that dificult of a project, if I can do it in my garage, just about anyone should be able to.

Users who are viewing this thread