What sounds the closest to Dumps??

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Hey,
I have an 04 Cobra with an O/R MAC Prochamber going into the 2.5" MAC Pro Dumps cat back.

First of all, I love the sound. My 02 GT had the Magnaflow X Pipe w/cats and the Magnapack catback, which sounded cool, and louder in the upper rpm range, but this set up on my Cobra just sounds nuts. Since I live in NJ, I need to make it legal to pass emissions, and I believe we need tailpipes that run past the axle.

I haven't heard anything that sounds exactly like my set up, so what do you guys think will come the closest?
Catted Prochamber with Mac cat back? Will going to 3" help out in that set up at all??

THOUGHTS/INSULTS/SUGGESTIONS welcome!:thumbsup:

VoodooSNK

Established Member
MAC 3" maybe? I have the Mac prochamber and 3" and I think it sounds better than any of the other cobra's around here. Thats my personal opinion though.

Last edited:

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
VoodooSNK said:
MAC 3" maybe? I have the Mac prochamber and 3" and I think it sounds better than any of the other cobra's around here. Thats my personal opinion though.

Are you running cats or the o/r version? Do you get any drone with the 3" set up?

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
mustangjar said:
i would suggest Mac 3" .... i have it with LT's and o/r H-pipe and i will never change my exhaust again

Do you have a sound clip by chance? I like the rasp and rough sound of the dumps. Looking for something similar.

Thank you!

cobra4v04

Established Member
Just from experience with the old fox body GT's with turndowns, as well as any style of turn down or dumps that point right downward and under a car, you really won't replicate that sound with a catback that exits the vehicle to the rear.

It's more of the sound bouncing off the ground and resonating against the underside of the car than anything. I've heard cars with aggressive cams and a full exhaust that sound very similar to that which you describe.
Are you still using the Cobra bumper? You could put a standard filled in V6 bumper on and modify a 2.5" or 3" over the axle-style tailpipe assembly to bolt up in the stock locations and have the tips turn down short of the V6 bumper skirt and just low enougth to let the heat stay away from the bumper plastic.

Aside from that definitely stick with the larger chambered style mufflers like MAC or Flowmaster. It's just my opinion that there really is no alternative to the sound your looking for other than the Produmps or turndowns under the car.

Last edited:

Geno-04

Established Member
Since you have a solid rear in your car already I would say go for the magnaflow magapacks. I had the same set up on my gt that you had on yours. I loved the sound. Cause I don't think you can get the sound of dumps with out have them. IMO Where in Jersey are you?

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
cobra4v04 said:
Just from experience with the old fox body GT's with turndowns, as well as any style of turn down or dumps that point right downward and under a car, you really won't replicate that sound with a catback that exits the vehicle to the rear.

It's more of the sound bouncing off the ground and resonating against the underside of the car than anything. I've heard cars with aggressive cams and a full exhaust that sound very similar to that which you describe.
Are you still using the Cobra bumper? You could put a standard filled in V6 bumper on and modify a 2.5" or 3" over the axle-style tailpipe assembly to bolt up in the stock locations and have the tips turn down short of the V6 bumper skirt and just low enougth to let the heat stay away from the bumper plastic.

Aside from that definitely stick with the larger chambered style mufflers like MAC or Flowmaster. It's just my opinion that there really is no alternative to the sound your looking for other than the Produmps or turndowns under the car.

Thanks bud. Believe it or not, it doesn't sound like the old Foxes with dumps, they are much deeper and louder in my opinion. this sounds real raspy and aggressive and "crackles" lol. I know, good words:kaboom:
But I think you are right, I need the chambered mufflers with the catted Prochamber.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Geno-04 said:
Since you have a solid rear in your car already I would say go for the magnaflow magapacks. I had the same set up on my gt that you had on yours. I loved the sound. Cause I don't think you can get the sound of dumps with out have them. IMO Where in Jersey are you?

What's up Geno? Nice ride. I am in union county. You local? Would love to meet up with some other Cobras.
As for the Packs, been there looking for something different now. I'm digging the old school sound this thing has right now. And I have the solid rear, so I have a few options I guess.

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
mustangjar said:
my setup sounds very similar to suprjagr's exhaust note except mine, judging from the video, should be a little louder and deeper
You have a soundclip by chance?

Geno-04

Established Member
NJ04Cobra...Thanks....yeah I'm in Edison, in Middlesex county. When the weather gets nice you should come down. I hear what your sayin about the old school sound. I'm a sucker for it too. LoL

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Geno-04 said:
NJ04Cobra...Thanks....yeah I'm in Edison, in Middlesex county. When the weather gets nice you should come down. I hear what your sayin about the old school sound. I'm a sucker for it too. LoL

I'm not far from you at all. I ride bikes down in the Brunswick area too, so I'm down for a meet anytime:thumbsup:
PM me when you want to cruise:burnout:

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread