What size wheel for best all-around performance gains?

Landmonster

Established Member
Hi Guys.

I'm somewhat a noob about wheels. I know it's not as a simple as "bigger is better".

We have 3 factors to consider, at a minimum.
  • Rim size
  • Wheel width
  • Wheel weight (I assume lighter is better, as long as it's adequately strong)

Can anyone give a brief synopsis on what size of wheels to select for a 2011-2014 Mustang, when performance is the goal?
1) Best size of wheels for a combination of straight line + handling performance?
2) Best side of wheels for pure handling performance on these cars?
3) Best side of wheels for pure drag-racing performance on these cars?

87hatchy

Established Member
If you're talking HPDE, track days, autox.... 18" square setup. something like 18x10 on all 4 corners. 19" wheels aren't going to be much slower (if at all for most drivers), but there are just more tire choices for 18" wheels. The downside to 18's on 11+ cars is that they just look too small (in my opinion).

Lighter is better no matter what kind of driving youre doing. lighter wheels that are still strong = $$$ though

kdaly

Established Member
Hi Guys.

I'm somewhat a noob about wheels. I know it's not as a simple as "bigger is better".

We have 3 factors to consider, at a minimum.
  • Rim size
  • Wheel width
  • Wheel weight (I assume lighter is better, as long as it's adequately strong)

Can anyone give a brief synopsis on what size of wheels to select for a 2011-2014 Mustang, when performance is the goal?
1) Best size of wheels for a combination of straight line + handling performance?
2) Best side of wheels for pure handling performance on these cars?
3) Best side of wheels for pure drag-racing performance on these cars?

1) 18 x 11 Rims
2) 18 x 11 Rims
3) Bigs and Littles... 17x5 and 15x10

kdaly

Established Member
Will 18x11 clear the stock fenders without any modifications or problems?
Will 18x11 work with Brembo brakes or upgraded brakes?

It will with Coil Overs and the correct offset.
Absolutely, the more high end 18" rims will clear bremo's and aftermarket stuff.

If you gonna race ur car and do it often 18 x 11 is the best rim size. More side wall, more contact patch, cheaper to replace tires than larger diameter.

Also I will add that most dont need that much wheel. Good tires will do the trick.

If you are just a casual road racer then get some 18x10's if your going for a squared setup and dont have coilovers.

If you are looking for a staggard setup go with 18x9.5 fronts and 18x10.5 rears. (similar to what i run, but I have 20"s)

If your damn serious about it and have $$, get coilovers and cortex has a kit you can stuff a 18x11 squared setup and stuff 315's on all corners. Paired with a good tire and your taking corners with cars 15x the price of yours for 6 grand or so.

Again all this is different if you want a drag setup. Bigs and littles is that route. But the suspension and wheels for both are vastly different. You wont want coilovers for this.

If you want all around setup. Get staggard with 275's up front and 295 up to 315 in the rear. Coilovers are not needed for this.

Writing this quick so if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Last edited:

Landmonster

Established Member
It will with Coil Overs and the correct offset.
Absolutely, the more high end 18" rims will clear bremo's and aftermarket stuff.

If you gonna race ur car and do it often 18 x 11 is the best rim size. More side wall, more contact patch, cheaper to replace tires than larger diameter.

I have stock 18x8 wheels on my 2014 GT.

I think 18" or 19" wheels LOOK the best on these cars, but people are saying 19" tires are more expensive and harder to find. As such, I am leaning away from 19" wheels, especially if there is no performance gains over the 18" wheels. The 20" wheels always look "wrong" to me on these cars, and get worse performance, to boot. As such, there's no apparent reason for me to consider 20" wheels.

I am interested in performance, as well as looks, without making tires impossible or super-expensive to find. As such, I am leaning towards 18" wheels anyway, I am trying to decide between 18x10, or 18x10.5 or 18x11. I don't want tires that cost a fortune, or anything that causes severe fitment problems or restrictions while turning.

I also want wheels that are able to be fit racing brakes, while being much lighter than stock. Durability (of the wheel and finish) and appearance are also important

Last edited:

kdaly

Established Member
Well then get a forged wheel and not cast.

Now you gotta figure out what your gearing your setup towards. Drag, corner carver, or both.

If you do both you wont be able to do either extremely well. But with a hell of a tire you can do both really good.

So 18's will suit your needs in every aspect. 19"s yes are hard to find and expensive.

If you dont want tires that cost much you may underestimate the true changes a good tire could make. For instance. I had a shitty 295 rear tire on stock motor. The tire couldnt hold first gear. Just spun like crazy. I have a real decent tire now. Not the best but pretty good and it nearly can hold 620whp all the way through first with breaking loose at nearly 6k rpm. That is quite a difference, and second it holds it fine. And thats on 20's.

Landmonster

Established Member
Well then get a forged wheel and not cast.

Now you gotta figure out what your gearing your setup towards. Drag, corner carver, or both.

If you do both you wont be able to do either extremely well. But with a hell of a tire you can do both really good.

So 18's will suit your needs in every aspect. 19"s yes are hard to find and expensive.

If you dont want tires that cost much you may underestimate the true changes a good tire could make. For instance. I had a shitty 295 rear tire on stock motor. The tire couldnt hold first gear. Just spun like crazy. I have a real decent tire now. Not the best but pretty good and it nearly can hold 620whp all the way through first with breaking loose at nearly 6k rpm. That is quite a difference, and second it holds it fine. And thats on 20's.

I'm sure good tires make a difference. I'm not saying I am opposed to paying for good tires. I'm just saying that I don't want to pay an additional premium fee for odd or hard-to-find sizes, if possible. Does that make sense?

I'm still running the stock Pirelli zeros on the car on the 18x8 stock wheels, and I'll probably upgrade the wheels and tires when the tires wear out. I'm simply doing this to be frugal and avoid waste.

I'm trying to decide what combo I want ahead of time... the number of choices is vast.

Requirements:
1) Want lightest weight wheels that still look good (so probably forged... not sure which brand/style)
2) Must give better performance than stock for both handling and drag racing.
3) Must be suitable for daily driving
4) Must be able to fit racing style brakes
5) Must not require fender/car modification to fit on stock body

kdaly

Established Member
I'm sure good tires make a difference. I'm not saying I am opposed to paying for good tires. I'm just saying that I don't want to pay an additional premium fee for odd or hard-to-find sizes, if possible. Does that make sense?

I'm still running the stock Pirelli zeros on the car on the 18x8 stock wheels, and I'll probably upgrade the wheels and tires when the tires wear out. I'm simply doing this to be frugal and avoid waste.

I'm trying to decide what combo I want ahead of time... the number of choices is vast.

Requirements:
1) Want lightest weight wheels that still look good (so probably forged... not sure which brand/style)
2) Must give better performance than stock for both handling and drag racing.
3) Must be suitable for daily driving
4) Must be able to fit racing style brakes
5) Must not require fender/car modification to fit on stock body

It makes ALL the difference. More of a difference then any other mod. Its the only way you can transfer performance to the ground. Enough on that you get the point..

Understandable on the frugal

I've giving you all the tools you need, you just gonna pic now. All 5 of your questions have been answered but on the first quesiton just choose one ya like. Search forged wheels and a bunch will show up. FYI Forged are not cheap. Usually doubles the price of the wheel.

Look at the wheel threads if you need ideas. Hope I was able to help

Landmonster

Established Member
It makes ALL the difference. More of a difference then any other mod. Its the only way you can transfer performance to the ground. Enough on that you get the point..

Understandable on the frugal

I've giving you all the tools you need, you just gonna pic now. All 5 of your questions have been answered but on the first quesiton just choose one ya like. Search forged wheels and a bunch will show up. FYI Forged are not cheap. Usually doubles the price of the wheel.

Look at the wheel threads if you need ideas. Hope I was able to help

Thanks for help.

Last questions....
1) Is there any performance reason to choose staggered wheels and tires... Such as 18x9.5 front, and 18.x10.5 rears? If so, what?
2) Do square setups (like 18x10 all around) generally handle better or worse than a staggered setup?

kdaly

Established Member
Thanks for help.

Last questions....
1) Is there any performance reason to choose staggered wheels and tires... Such as 18x9.5 front, and 18.x10.5 rears? If so, what?
2) Do square setups (like 18x10 all around) generally handle better or worse than a staggered setup?

Staggered wheels are great for straight line performance and can be great for the twisties too. It can be dual purpose that is why I got it. I have a 275 on the fron and 295 on the rear. Allows me with a great tire to handle like a beast and get traction @ full throttle. It also lets me keep the weight down. Cost is an advantage as you dont need to buy 4 large wheels/tires. Just two. Also less rotational mass and weight in the front. Thats always a good thing for drag racing. However if you get a good tire and a 9 or 9.5" rim in the front you can slap on 265 to 285's no problem which is more than enough to take corners with a good tire. Then you can get huge rears to harness the power to the ground. Perfect (Such as 18x9.5 front, and 18.x10.5 rears) You can go 11" on the rear but if you get good enough tire you wont need it. Especially without forced induction

Square setups always handle better. You'll never regret going squared. Its a real balanced feeling and like a said if you go with a good tire you cant work wonders on a 10" rim. A squared setup also allows you to rotate your wheels if you want to.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I run 275 rear and 255 fronts. I also had less desire to spend bucoo bucks on tires I know I'll be roasting on for a while. I have 19" 2010 GT500 wheels. I got Falken Azenis tires for $850 installed. I had no problems at all finding a variety of tires in a truckload of sizes. 19" wheels are very common these days and not hard to find. Perhaps 10 years ago they were hard to find, but no more. My wife's Edge came from the factory with 22's.....wanna talk about expensive tires.

Users who are viewing this thread