what size turbos?

bricktop

Established Member
So Im getting a 408w its goin in my 89 5.0 and I can't decide if im gonna put one 88-92mm turbo or if I do twins then I was wondering what size they should being was thinking 65-70....but Im up for suggestions though

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
So Im getting a 408w its goin in my 89 5.0 and I can't decide if im gonna put one 88-92mm turbo or if I do twins then I was wondering what size they should being was thinking 65-70....but Im up for suggestions though

twin 67's would be pretty retarded(in a good way).

bricktop

Established Member
See, that's what I was thinking, but I want something that can push over 30 pounds of boost or more, that would be insane, id say it would be about 1000-1200 hp wouldn't it?

bricktop

Established Member
well its going to be a drag car, but i want it to be able to go about 15 or 16 miles at a time to local car shows and the block i have is eather a dart or a boss but ive thought about getting twin 70's to save a little money

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Boost is also simply a measurement of restriction. If you have really good heads, intake, proper cam and an efficient turbo you would see 1000-1200whp well under 30psi, especially if you have higher compression. Likely around 20psi.

bricktop

Established Member
Yeah, you're right, im getting a set of svo heads, then in gonna port them out as big as I can, and the cams gonna be around a 650-680 lift and a victor jr intake, but its gonna be a while before I can save up for that, cause that's all I need is the turbos, heads, and cam, I have all the rest in my garage....and im only 16 so it may be a while before I can save up for all that haha...and I can get a set of turbos for cheap, like 1500 for twin 68's

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
your 16? Lol, then slow your roll chief. Get the 408 in the car first, that will be enough to scare you, unless your used to fast cars and even then, no one under 21 needs a car that will run sub 12's, sorry. Been there, done that, had friends that did it to, it only gets you in trouble. Hell a stock fox was enough to get me into plenty of trouble when i was 17-19, lol.

Also, I can tell your playing the HP game. 700 whp, 1000whp, 1200whp, etc etc. Its easy to get cought up in, but the reality of it is, a 450whp car that weighs in at 3200-3300lbs(a full weight fox body) will put you in the top 5% of the fastest things that roam around on a friday night. Put a 100 shot of nitrous on it and your in the top 2%. After that is gets very expensive and things break a lot more. SO unless your dad, mom, uncle, whatever has something very fast that you are used to riding in or may have even driven, dont get ahead of yourself.

A basic stock 302 with a turbo and pump gas will surprise the hell out of you and be faster then most(if not all)things you come across. It will also only run you about $5000+ the car and will run mid-low 11's at the track with an auto and some sticky tires. The build you mentioned will run upward of $20-$25K+ the car and thats if you do the work and use the parts you already have laying around to help cut cost, then if you take it to the track often, it WILL break and then it gets even more expensive.

Say you actually listened to this strange man ranting on the internet and went the cheaper route. You buy a stock 5.0 fox, put a turbo kit on it or nitrous, race it for a while and BAM, you window the block. That sucks, oh wait! not really because you can find good condition 302's EVERYWHERE for about $200-$400 in a bone yard, you can swap out the blown motor over a weekend and walla, your back to racing the following week. If you blow a built 408, unless you have a lot of money(about $5000 minimum depending on damage) just hanging out in your bank account, your down time will be a LOT longer.

I say these things because I didnt have someone blunt and maybe even slightly brash telling me I was dumb, so I spent THOUSDANDS of $ on stupid projects. Had I been smarter/had someone point me in the right direction, I could have had a ton more fun, ran faster, lasted longer, for a lot less money and work.

Just some food for thought from someone who has been there, done that. I'm 26 BTW, not some old dude from a completely different generation. If you still have question's feel free to PM me. Im happy to answer:beer:

bricktop

Established Member
I have 80% of the stuff laying in my garage, and my dad has a 351 in his 84gt and its got a holly 174? Blower on it and its pushing 650-700 rwhp, I drive it all the time, I helped him put the motor in that, I've rebuilt it more time than I can count, and I know its gonna break, but thats just part of it, and the car right now is a daily driver, but once I get this 92 dodge dually im looking at then im gonna make the mustang track only, I know more than some "car guys" in my county. I've done my fair share of stuff to that car, plus I got a friend who has a 393 with a 88mm turbo in his 92 coupe and we can make a turbo kit for that in 2 weekends if I really wanna get it done.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I don't mean any offense with this statement.....but (here it comes)
If you have rebuilt motors "more times than you can count
You have built turbo kits
and know more than car guys
your dad has a 700 RWHP Fox

I don't think you would be on this forum asking strangers this question. Slow your roll and get the motor in the car than move on.

bricktop

Established Member
I know what your saying but im asking people on here cause my dad don't like the idea of turbo mustang, he thinks they take ten years to spool up and he likes high compression engines like his but I really have made a turbo kit before. Im not trying to sound like a prick, if I did, im sorry

Users who are viewing this thread