What Size turbo's for a 5.4L 4v?( ya i know its a 4.6 stock)

T.T.5.4L03cobra

Established Member
:??: I've been told twin 67's. Does anyone think i'd be better off going twin 57's and ported heads(of my 03 cobra 4v ones), cams, retainers etc. so i avoid some of the turbo lag i'd get going 67's? Or are the 67's a great choice for a 5.4 4v? What about 62's?

(my goal is 1200whp-1350whp(i know, most everyone will say:nonono:) on roughly 25-30lbs of boost, my 5.4 has quite the list of internals though, so it shouldn't pop until 1700hp:eek: (supposedly:cryying:))

Thanks in advance for any help.

:thumbsup::beer::thumbsup:

rev440

young punk
Established Member
Defiantly some 67's would work out. Is it gonna be a street car or a race car? If its a race car you coupd perhaps go 72's.

T.T.5.4L03cobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, the twin 61's sound like a great setup. Could i get away with 12-14 lbs for 600whp(91 octane up here)? My other mods will be...

-.020 5.4L(now 334ci)
-Accufab throttle body
-Sullivan intake manifold
-Stage 4 ported and polished heads
-titanium valve retainers
-new valves, springs, arp studs, etc
-turbo spec cams
-full texas hotrods spec turbo kit(2.5"-3.0" collector back exhaust, Intake plumbing, etc.)
-2 step, boost controller, waste gates, etc.
-dyno tuning with sct etc...

T.T.5.4L03cobra

Established Member
I was posting while the rev440's post came in. It will be a street car that sees high boost at the track during street legal night at the track and a few times on clear nights. Do you think twin 67's wouldn't be too bad on lag vs. twin 61's? More power is always welcome, if its not too much of a trade off(like 300rpms of fool spool time difference) I'll probably go twin 67's.

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
go to Pro Turbo Systems and go to their TT Cobra/ 4.6 set ups.. you can click a drop down menu for your desired horse power level based on the trims..

have fun :thumbsup: and post pics of the build whenever that is!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, the twin 61's sound like a great setup. Could i get away with 12-14 lbs for 600whp(91 octane up here)? My other mods will be...

-.020 5.4L(now 334ci)
-Accufab throttle body
-Sullivan intake manifold
-Stage 4 ported and polished heads
-titanium valve retainers
-new valves, springs, arp studs, etc
-turbo spec cams
-full texas hotrods spec turbo kit(2.5"-3.0" collector back exhaust, Intake plumbing, etc.)
-2 step, boost controller, waste gates, etc.
-dyno tuning with sct etc...

The turbos I'm using are the exact ones Stage6Motorsports used on Joe Cermini's TT Ford GT, and they made over 1200rwhp without nitrous. That is with the stock air/water intercooler, intake which in my opinion was holding back the numbers!!

Ken:beer:

Ratfink

Established Member
i dont care for twin turbo's myself i like the singles more im running a t76 with a .96 and its fine spooling about 3300 rpm but im running large cams so it will be lower with stock size cams

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
ken i can't wait to see your car done w/ numbers and some passes..

ratfink i agree; however, nothing will top 5.4 w/ twin gt35r's, since a 35r on the sti was wicked, i can only imagine two on a bigger motor ;-)

Greg@RET

Established Member
My twin 57's spool almost instantly. I know it makes 30psi by 3900 rpms :thumbsup:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
i dont care for twin turbo's myself i like the singles more im running a t76 with a .96 and its fine spooling about 3300 rpm but im running large cams so it will be lower with stock size cams

Why are you using a pic of my car in your avatar? lol

Last edited:

tt5.5L03cobra

Banned
Ok. So i checked out the gt35r and gt42r. Pretty damn impressive so does anyone know how hard it is to use those turbos instead of the turbos in most twin 62+mm kits(mustang kits ofcourse, any info is appreciated though). Im bad on turbo specs but i got the pression the gt35r was a 62~mm turbo and the gt42r is over 90mm, anyone got any info they wanna say about those turbo's and if they think they could work well for my aformentioned setup?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Ok. So i checked out the gt35r and gt42r. Pretty damn impressive so does anyone know how hard it is to use those turbos instead of the turbos in most twin 62+mm kits(mustang kits ofcourse, any info is appreciated though). Im bad on turbo specs but i got the pression the gt35r was a 62~mm turbo and the gt42r is over 90mm, anyone got any info they wanna say about those turbo's and if they think they could work well for my aformentioned setup?

The GT42 is anywhere from a 76mm to an 82mm depending on who you buy them from! Forced inductions .com make modifications to the gt42 for the larger compressor wheels (82mm). If your thinking of twins, DO NOT consider GT42 turbos, for a single yes....twins..NO!

Ken

T.T.5.4L03cobra

Established Member
The GT42 is anywhere from a 76mm to an 82mm depending on who you buy them from! Forced inductions .com make modifications to the gt42 for the larger compressor wheels (82mm). If your thinking of twins, DO NOT consider GT42 turbos, for a single yes....twins..NO!

Ken[/QUOTE]

You definitely have a point there. In my defense though, i brought it up because i wanted to get some facts on what's different between the two turbo's. My thoughts were more on twin gt35r's(i wanna stick around 57-67mm twins). You're right about twin 87+mm turbos being a bad idea because even with a quick a/r ration, they would definitely suck because of the spool time, thanks for the info on the size and specs though.

tt5.5L03cobra

Banned

I like this idea the best. From what you said, these made 1200whp on a gt with a possibly restrictive intercooler/heat exchanger. These being roughly 63mm turbo's sound like a great comprise. Thank's again to everyone for helping me out on the setup. Now I just gotta max out a few credit cards and finish my build. I'll post pics and videos when I get it all done, I don't think it'll be finished before august though, my budgets tight right now.

Thanks again to all who posted for all the help and all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread