what size tires???

wtsn8ke

Established Member
I am going to a set of 4 18x9.5" wheels on my 98 cobra. What is the widest tire i can run on all four corners and what is the widest i can run in a staggared set up? I'll be shopping for tires soon!!! Thanks!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the post pete. We would be happy to assist you with your tire needs.

What is the offset on the your new wheels? Also, any suspension modifications?

wtsn8ke

Established Member
The offset is 30. The car has a bullitt suspension kit from Ford Racing. Not much, if any, drop from stock. The goal is to fill the fender wells as much as possible. The car is street driven only. Thanks for the help, Matt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the additional information.

Size 275/35-18 would be a good option to consider on all four corners. The front fitment will be tight so I recommend taking measurements. Compared to the OE wheel/tire setup (17x8 +30 *5.6" b/s*), size 18x9.5 +30 (6.4" b/s) mounted with 275/35-18's will stick out about 15mm (0.6") further towards the fender and will be 15mm closer to the suspension.

For the staggered setup, I would consider these sizes:

Front - 265/35-18
Rear - 295/35-18

or

Front - 275/35-18
Rear - 295/35-18

With the 295's mounted on the rear, the assembly will sit 1" further out and will be 1" closer to the suspension (compared to stock).

I hope this information helps. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Thanks, Matt. So I'm gathering from your post that if i went with the staggared set up with 265's on the front I would be most likely to have no rub issues? I have 17x10.5's with 315's on the rear now with no problem so I would think the 295's would be fine in the rear. What tire would you suggest for a weekend warrior street car that won't break the bank? I was considering Nitto 555 or Hankook's?

Pete.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Size 265/35-18 is a pretty safe bet. The 9.5" width is a little wide for the front according to my information but the +30mm offset helps.

I doubled checked the approved rim width range for size 295/35-18 and it looks like all the tire manufacturers show 10" to 11.5" with 10.5" being the most ideal. That said, you may want to consider running 285/35-18's in the rear with size 265/35-18 in the front.

Some great models to look into are the NT555 Extreme Performance, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO, and the Nitto Invo. If you want a little more stick, the NT05 would be a great option to get into.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
The set up i have now uses 245 40 17 on the front. You suggest the 35 series for front and rear? Also if you could give me some prices on the tires you have suggested it would be much appreciated. Thank you, Matt!

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Size 245/40-17 is about 1" shorter in diameter when compared to the OE 245/45-17 size. Are you sure you are running a 40 series?

The metric tire size is basically a mathematical equation. The first few numbers represent the width of the tire in millimeters. The second pair of numbers is the percentage of the tires width which is called the aspect ratio. The aspect ratio determines the sidewall height of the tire. Here are a few links with more detailed information:

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Sorry, they are actually 275/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear presently. Thank you for all the great tire/wheel links. Very informative. I think I will be going with the 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 combo since I don't want to chance having rubbing issues. If you could provide some prices on the Nitto Invo, 555, and Hankooks that would be great! Thank you for your help.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sorry, they are actually 275/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear presently. Thank you for all the great tire/wheel links. Very informative. I think I will be going with the 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 combo since I don't want to chance having rubbing issues. If you could provide some prices on the Nitto Invo, 555, and Hankooks that would be great! Thank you for your help.

The Invo is currently not available in the rear 285/35-18 size but both the V12 and NT555 are. Here are our current mail order prices, shipping and sales tax is free for CA. residents.

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO

Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance

And just incase you want a little more bite :rockon:

Nitto NT05

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Can you drop ship to a nearby shop for installation? How much to install? I'm in 91364 area code. Probably will go with the 555's.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What I recommend you do is contact your local America's Tire to see what they can do for you. Our local stores can typically match online delivered prices and can offer you a higher level of customer service than anyone can online. If for some reason they can't match our price or get the tires in for you, we can certainly ship them to you directly. At this time we are unable to dropship to our local stores.

wtsn8ke

Established Member
What i think i would do to avoid the sales tax in CA is order through you and bring to installer. What is your procedure and shipping process?

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What i think i would do to avoid the sales tax in CA is order through you and bring to installer. What is your procedure and shipping process?

Call Zach at 1.888.459.4080 ext 51875 to place your order. We ship with UPS and if you get your order in this morning we should be able to have the tires delivered to you by the end of the week. We will be starting inventory tomorrow which means a two day delay. Make sure to mention that you are a member here so SVTP gets credit for the sale :rockon:

Last edited:

wtsn8ke

Established Member
Matt,

Just wanted to thank you for all the help. I ended up ordering 295 35 18 Nitto NT05's for the rear and 265 35 18 Nitto 555's on the front. Ordered some 1" spacers for the rear but everything fits and looks and sticks fantastic! You had the best prices i could find and the service was exceptional. In this day and age of ZERO customer service it was a breath of fresh air. Would highly recommend you guys in a second to anyone in need of new skins. Have a great 2010.

Pete.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You rock Pete :rockon: We really appreciate your support and thank you very much for the kind words. I've said this before, we are enthusiasts just like you, we just happen to sell tires :thumbsup: Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread