What size speakers and how many in the 2004 cobra?

NAVIG8ER

Established Member
I am wanting to upgrade my stereo. Need to replace the trash in my MACH 460. What size are all the speakers and how many are there? Any help with speaker choice as well would be accepted!

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
5x7's in the front doors and rear deck, along with like 2.5" tweets in front and rear. Just get 1" tweets and make a template for the 2.5 inch hole, thats all I did....made them from plexiglass

Rick

jason1320

Established Member
Originally posted by P_Lomez
6x8s fit in the same place as a 5x7

I would use a good set of 5 1/4 and then make or order the adapter plates from crutchfield.

I used Diamond Hex 5.25 in mine.

Also the rear deck is a PAIN to install speakers in if you have a the MACH system. Your going to need a giant torx tool to remove the seatbelt braket (I believe a torx 45, but not sure) You then have to remove the back dash cover and drop the enclosure box in the trunk (carful of the wires). Getting back up is a two man job. I was able to do it alone but it took twice as long.

j card

Established Member
The factory speakers are actually a 6x8 (as are most Fords) - not a 5x7 - there is a small difference.

johng218

Established Member
You need to fix your sig.

The color is Mystichrome. Not Mystic Chrome. If you own the car you should at least know the name of the color.

John G.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
Originally posted by jason1320
I would use a good set of 5 1/4 and then make or order the adapter plates from crutchfield.

I used Diamond Hex 5.25 in mine.

Also the rear deck is a PAIN to install speakers in if you have a the MACH system. Your going to need a giant torx tool to remove the seatbelt braket (I believe a torx 45, but not sure) You then have to remove the back dash cover and drop the enclosure box in the trunk (carful of the wires). Getting back up is a two man job. I was able to do it alone but it took twice as long.

Same here but I'm just saying for general reference. I would definitly use 5 1/4 in the back for better sound, hell, you could even use them in the front doors too.

505BB

Smoke em if ya got em
Established Member
NAVIG8ER, what sort of deal did you get on trading your L in on the Cobra?

Last edited by a moderator:

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by j card
The factory speakers are actually a 6x8 (as are most Fords) - not a 5x7 - there is a small difference.

And when you order speakers how are they listed usually..

5x7 / 6x8's

Rick

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by RickSvt
And when you order speakers how are they listed usually..

5x7 / 6x8's

Rick

That is because most 5x7 speakers have mounting tabs on them that will allow you to fit them in either size hole, so most manufacturers make a 5x7 that fits either one. The factory size is a 6x8 - and a few manufacturers do make a 6x8 that is a specific fit speaker. You can fit a 5x7 in a 6x8 hole, bot not usually the other way around. But then again, what do I know.... I was only in the stereo business for 13 years before i got tired of it :rolleyes:

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
You are correct about for being a 6x8, I was just stating that most of the speakers sold are actually 5x7's with the ability to fit in the 6x8 hole.

Rick

NAVIG8ER

Established Member
P_lomez, Paid 35k for the mystic and got 26.8k for the DSG L.

Users who are viewing this thread