What should I do to make a 2011+ Mustang GT a decent weekend drifter?

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
I'm looking to do some drift events in the coming months in my 2012 GT. I do plan on keeping the car somewhat daily-able while also doing a few drift event's a year. Right now initial parking lot testing :lol1: has shown that: the car likes to straighten out/ or understeer alot, has very little steering feedback even with the electric power steering set on stiff, and needs more steering angle.

So far I have Fortune Auto/Muller coilovers, UMI endlinks (which I need to modify because they were not as adjustable as I was told they were :nonono:), and UMI's double adjustable panhard bar w/ roto joints.

I'm planning on doing soon:
- a bumpsteer kit
- 18x10.5 +22 wheels for the front (for now, rears later)
- BMR swaybars

Some things that I might be interested in getting in no particular order:
- maximum motorsports caster/camber plates
- Adjustable A-arms
- Adjustable Upper and Lower Control Arms
- Subframe Connectors
- rear shock tower brace
- some sort of custom knuckles for added steering angle (unless somebody/somewhere offers a service for this already)
- tubular k-member (not sure if this is necessary, probably not)
- steering rack bushings? (if there is such a thing out yet)

I was wondering if anyone has done any of the above mods and how it has affected the handling, specifically, how it affected stability at the limit or during a slide. Also feel free to throw out recommendations on things I should consider getting.

P.S. Does anyone know whether or not I would be able to go full lock without hitting anything with 10.5 wide fronts running 255's or 265's?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
See how she does stock and then start changing stuff up. I never did any sort of organized drifting but it sounds fun.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
See how she does stock and then start changing stuff up. I never did any sort of organized drifting but it sounds fun.

Ofcourse, that's the plan for now but I could not have felt safe doing so on stock suspension since it sat so high up. I just want to hear some feedback from people who have installed some of these parts to determine if they would make a noticeable difference in sideways controllability.

It is VERY fun and I highly recommend you try it. There's a reason they make a Mustang RTR :burnout:

Tispho

Established Member
Did you turn the Advance Trac completely off?

It has both Stability Control which keeps you going straight, and also traction control which prevents you from spinning dem tires.

Press and hold for 4 - 5 seconds to turn everything off.

Last edited:

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
They Hondas, but they driftin... [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIjzRKtR6IA"]High speed Honda Accord drifting in Saudi Arabia - YouTube[/nomedia]

Monster Mach

Established Member
From my personal experiance.. don't go anything bigger than 9 in the front.. just wasting money.. turn all sorts of t.c off and get 11s in the back.. my old 86 handled perfectly around just about any corner sideways with stock suspension.. just raw power and some stickey tires and it will hold a drift... don't go with cheap tires because then you will be too slick and just spin. Tbh you can drift the car as is if you can get used to it

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

04sonicbeast

Established Member
Don't plan on DD your car if your gonna be in real drift events because more then likely you will come in contact with the walls. Or at least have a back up daily driver. Good luck man.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Did you turn the Advance Trac completely off?

It has both Stability Control which keeps you going straight, and also traction control which prevents you from spinning dem tires.

Press and hold for 4 - 5 seconds to turn everything off.
Yep, everything was off.
What is a Bump Steer kit? And what does it do?
Stolen from - http://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/553765-the-official-suspension-guide.html

Bump steer: This is the tendency of a wheel to steer the car as it moves upwards over a bump and can be an issue when a car is lowered. This doesn't seem to come in to play until you have a 1.5"~2" drop. With a 1.5" drop, however, this is only noticeable in pretty extreme suspension travel. Something one would be close to upon bottoming out the front suspension.

Below is a drawing illustrating the use and purpose of the bump steer kit. The red lines represent the steering rack (center of each image) and tie-rod ends (connecting to each wheel). This assembly operates best when all three parts are in the same line and best to be in this position driving down the street. The first is the stock set up and the second one is lowered. As you can see, the "A" arms and end-links are already at an angle. When you go over a bump, you will force them even more verticle, this will max out their range, and the car's front tires will toe inwards. Meaning, they will both turn in towards the car, if you happen to be turning at this time, you will lose the ability to turn at least one of the tires.
BumpSteerdrawingforTheOfficialSuspe.jpg

Just put a tune! I am drifting around my neighborhood daily!!!
The last thing you actually want to do in drifting is more power since it only comes into play when you are very comfortable with the car, which I am not at the moment.
LOL I actually lived there when I was growing up and the youth really do shit like shit all the time. Also 93 was about 10 cents a gallon. :fm:
From my personal experiance.. don't go anything bigger than 9 in the front.. just wasting money.. turn all sorts of t.c off and get 11s in the back.. my old 86 handled perfectly around just about any corner sideways with stock suspension.. just raw power and some stickey tires and it will hold a drift... don't go with cheap tires because then you will be too slick and just spin. Tbh you can drift the car as is if you can get used to it
Thanks, I will have multiple set of wheels so I will definitely be experimenting with tires. I'm usually the person that says drive the car as-is first too but this car REALLY feels like some 265 hankook rs3's in the front would do it all kinds of awesome. There are YouTube video's of drifting in basically a stock RTR mustang and it seems to be doing awesome but then again they come with different sways and all kinds of other stuff.
Don't plan on DD your car if your gonna be in real drift events because more then likely you will come in contact with the walls. Or at least have a back up daily driver. Good luck man.
I'm not by any means competing, this is just grassroots stuff where there isn't any "get-as-close-as-you-can-to-that-wall" competitions haha. I plan on re-learning since this is a new platform for me. Meaning that I will start out on the skidpad for one event, then an open course with cones next event, THEN the actual track(s) at Summit Point Raceway if I even feel that confident.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
i wouldnt waste my money on a front sway bar. The stock one is huge already. I would definently NOT go with a 18x10.5in wheel up front. That's too big. 18x9.5 or 19x9.5 at the max up front and 18 or 19x11's in the rear.

JVDoose

Established Member
like u asked before im running a 10.5 +22 up front. i could fit +30 if i didnt have the brembo kit.

as far as rubbing at the moment with the camber @ 0, 255/45's, and no fender modifications i slighty rub when turning. but i think if i would have run +30's i wouldnt rub or in my case (since i have the +22) i think i will be fine after i roll and slightly pull my fenders (if needed).

i also have the option add some - camber too . so IMO i think you'll be fine with the 10.5 +22.

turka ... just so you know ... if you want i got a pair of 18 x 10.5 +22 wheels. lmk if you'd want em

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
i wouldnt waste my money on a front sway bar. The stock one is huge already. I would definently NOT go with a 18x10.5in wheel up front. That's too big. 18x9.5 or 19x9.5 at the max up front and 18 or 19x11's in the rear.
Yeah, I might consider just getting a stiffer rear sway. I have a pair of 18x9.5 +12 wheels but they are the wrong offset and stick out too much. I'm trying to sell them locally at the moment so I can order different wheels. But I could I suppose make them fit by having the fenders rolled - but then I would still have to run a stretched tire for fender clearance :shrug:
like u asked before im running a 10.5 +22 up front. i could fit +30 if i didnt have the brembo kit.

as far as rubbing at the moment with the camber @ 0, 255/45's, and no fender modifications i slighty rub when turning. but i think if i would have run +30's i wouldnt rub or in my case (since i have the +22) i think i will be fine after i roll and slightly pull my fenders (if needed).

i also have the option add some - camber too . so IMO i think you'll be fine with the 10.5 +22.

turka ... just so you know ... if you want i got a pair of 18 x 10.5 +22 wheels. lmk if you'd want em

Thanks man. Seeing your set up helped me determine the offset I need for the front's. I definitely plan to add at least -1 camber in the front because that helps with contact patch of the tires when sideways.

Thank you for answering my rubbing question, I was more concerned if rubbing would occur anywhere on the back part of the wheel near the coilover but it seems yours only rub on the fender - which as you said, is fixable.

As soon as I sell these other 18x9.5 +12 varrstoens I have, I would most definitely be interested in your 18x10.5 +22 setup!

My next question would be - how big of a tire do you think you can fit on the 18x10.5 +22 on the front? :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread