What should I do? (semi-long post)

Blaster77

Established Member
Hey guys need some advice. I am graduating High School at the end of this month, and my mother is trying to ruin it. We just sold our house so I can't have a graduation party here. I rarely get to go out with friends due to 8 hours of work a day + school. We are moving to the beach, and my mother is trying to convince me to have the party down there, where none of my friends can attend. I told her that if she wanted to ruin my graduation, it's going to cost her. I conned her into $1,000 for my car. It was originally a vortec S/C, but I think it would be way too much money. Keep in mind, working 50+ Hours a week means that I get no money from the parents, so I want to take full advantage of this offer.
That being said, what should I do with the engine of my car. Keep in mind it's a 5.0 and has 117k miles on it.

Engine is basically stock, minus CAI and exhaust.
Already have a good clutch and tranny.
Already have gears.

Already achieved the look that I wanted on the exterior of my car as well.

I was thinking about a set of aluminum heads or something.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

9646stang

NoviBlownMystic
Established Member
Cam and intake. Leave the heads alone for now a grand wont get the heads you want bro. or just save the grand and get the blower later.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
yea for that much money I think cam and intake would please you. I'm 19 and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you (2 jobs and taking 5 college courses) so money was an issue and I couldnt be happier with the outcome of my cheapo Trickflow street intake and simple ford E-cam. Made 280rwhp/312rwtq with just basic bolt ons, cam/intake, and not even full exhaust. The Ecam and street intake go good with the GT40 irons.

You'll go wayy over $1000 if your thinking about going with heads, not to mention, theres no point in getting heads if your gonna have to keep your stock cam and intake.

On the other hand you could do a pretty sick suspension set up for $1k.

Last edited:

Blaster77

Established Member
Cam and intake sounds good. I know a guy that can get trickflow parts for way cheaper than retail. He's also getting me a sweet deal on AFR 185 Aluminum Heads. I'll probably go over the $1k, but that's no biggie because I have some money saved up.

Thanks for the input

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
well, if you have the money, go H/C/I. The 5.0s can make some great power N/A. Don't forget gears for that heavy SN-95. If you are patient and shop around, you should be able to find someone to install them for you for $200 or less. Find some used 3.73 that some DOHC guy has cast off. (such as my self) At 1st I didn't realize you HAD a Cobra, so I might say go pass on the intake, and go with gears, headers, and work on some heads.

Blaster77

Established Member
Yeah I already have 3:73's. When I bought the car, the guy just put in the transmission and king cobra. I thought it had stock gearing, until i jacked the car in the air marked the driveshaft and rotated the tire one revolution. Turns out i had 3:73s

mnewxcv

Established Member
damn 50 hours a week! what do you do with your cash? thats $1000 - $1400 a month. at least.

note: for a high schooler.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
mnewxcv said:
damn 50 hours a week! what do you do with your cash? thats $1000 - $1400 a month. at least.

thats what i do in the summer and i still live at home haha. Gotta love not having bills.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Check the smog laws...if its OK, get some Long tubes, Cam, and Intake. You should be able to get this for around 1,000. You don't need to buy an Intake manifold, a manifold is a manifold, it's not really going to get worse with time, unless they dropped it from 10 feet up.

Ebay is your friend if you are a High School car enthusiast.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
greenstang1313 said:
he said he already has gears

Missed that. My brain looks for numbers when looking for certain things. I need to quit trying to speed read everything.

Good point on the spending of dough. Find a place to hide your money from yourself, and go buy an 03/04 motor in a couple months.

Last edited:

Blaster77

Established Member
mnewxcv said:

I work 50 hours a week, but my brother is my employer, so I don't get paid for 50 hours a week. Only due to driving on his dealer tags so I kind of have to pay for insurance on them.

mnewxcv

Established Member
greenstang1313 said:
theres a sick rio red 94/95 supercharged cobra on craigslist right now, you should check it out

thats nice, but i have no cash. gotta get a job! how old are you?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i'm sure your mother has reasons to move OTHER than ruining your graduation :rolleyes:

i'd rather much have a party at the beach.

bad93snake

STREET405
Established Member
ed curtis cam (flotech inductons), longtubes...or try to save it and put a little money with it and do afr165/185s, a ed curtis cam and some headers...dont stick just any old cam in there, a custom cam will make twice the power and half the drivability issues.

Users who are viewing this thread