What should I ask for???

93KingCobra

Established Member
I'm planning on rebuilding the motor in the 93 B/C it has a little over 120K on the motor but it still runs really strong with no problems....

My question is what should I ask for when I go get a price quote from a good performance shop..

These are the thinks I would like to do...

Pull the motor and bore it like .30 over
Build the bottom end rods-pistons ect..
New clutch while everything is out.
Port and polish the stock heads

Is there anything else I should do while it out?? I would eventually like to put a nice little S-trim when the money is available..

Thanks for you help..... :thumbsup:

alotahp92gt

Established Member
screw the rebuild pull the motor and put it on a stand, then get a DDS motor of what ever bore/stroke you want and do it that way... I was in teh same boat and when I added up all the parts/labor and stuff to have some one do it all for me, well it was cheeper to order a crate/ long block and install it myself/ have soem one drop it in for me. I have plans to just freshen up the original 302 and have it on stand by just in case.

while the motor is out you should clean up your engine bay of wires, weld holes, weld up the ugly frame rails infront of the strut towers and have professionally preped and repainted, I think it looks sharp to have a great motor combo and a clean engine bay

my buck fifty!

Brian

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Before resigning yourself to a rebuild, why not do a compression test and a leak down test to see if the motor REALLY needs rebuilt? 120k miles isn't that many miles on a 5.0, and I know of many people with a lot more miles and running a power adder to boot.

buddha93

Established Member
I have to agree with Richard. Unless your just looking for a reason to tear into, I'd check the basics and see if it really needs it. As mentioned above, there are so many good crate engine builders out there, why not check into them. The price difference is minimal compared to having your's redone.

93KingCobra

Established Member
Thaks guys I appreciate your help!!!! I will look into long block pricing...Is there any other companys that make a good long block combonation other than DSS?

Thank

Phil

buddha93

Established Member
Keith Kraft, Bennett, are a few others and tend to be more race oriented. Another option if your not in a hurry is to hit the classifieds on the net. There a ton of deals to be had out there on engines and such, many that are brand new and someone has lost interest in.

alotahp92gt

Established Member
try world products "man of war"
or Coast High Performance

Ps there is a guy in the parket section selling a new 331 from dds.... if you can jump on it

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
My car has over 100K on it. I dynoed it a while back and it is making more than the published HP from Ford (235 HP) at the rear wheels. I think mine is still OK :D

Users who are viewing this thread