What should a Brake Job cost for an '03 Cobra????

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Nothing fancy, I'll just let Ford do it. Also I might need the rear rotors done Anyone have an Idea of about how much?......Please let me know.

If I don't let Ford do it........where would be a good place to get it done?????..............Don

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Was quoted $200 from a local tire shop, ended up doing it myself with HAWK pads and cross drilled rotors (last cobra) for $250.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
It should be about the cost of some good pads/rotors and an evening of your time. A good place to do it would be the garage. It is literally so simple that there is no reason to pay someone else to do it unless your opportunity cost for your time is greater than what they quote you. No flame intended, some people's time is very valuable to them.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ive NEVER done a brake swap before in my life, but with a little reading of the forums I was able to do it MYSELF in a little over an hour of time.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
brake jobs are easy. Well maybe a pain if you have to turn the rotors but other than that too easy to pay someone. I will tell you something you pay someone for is to replace a heater core in an s-10. Not hard just about 12-15 hours of grunt work.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by piss&vinegar
Well maybe a pain if you have to turn the rotors but other than that too easy to pay someone.

I would never turn rotors on a performance car. If they are that bad replace them, because IME/IMO the only thing they are going to do is warp and you will have to replace the pads and rotors then. To me this is almost as crazy as rotating your tires.

The front Brembo OEM rotors are arount $71 each and rear are $58 each from tire rack. If you want to step up to slotted Brembo rotors they are $280/pair for the front and $238/pair for the rear. A good set of pads like the Porterfield R4S for the street are going to be around another $200. Put some speedbleeders in the calipers around $12.95 for the front and $12.95 for the rear. Flush the system with some new Ford HD Dot 3 brake fluid $4/can and you are good to go.

vipergts281

Established Member
A front brake swap is extremely easy. Like mentioned above, I would just buy new rotors and put them on instead of turning your old ones.

The rear brakes are little bit harder, but still very do-able. New rotors for the rears are about $36 each....very cheap. I went to Ford to ask them about putting on my new rotors and pads and they quoted me $130, LOL. I said no thanks I'll just do it. After I said that, the service advisor said the best they could do is $110.....I didn't know they negotiated labor prices. Anyway, I just paid my friend $50 since I didn't feel like dealing with it.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I just had the dealer flush the brake lines and master cylinder and refill with the ford hi performance dot 3 fluid and new stock brake pads on the front only. I was shocked to see a bill for $462. $100 to flush the system, $125 labor for the pads and $200 for parts(stock pads and brake fluid.They refused to install after market pads or SS brake lines and I need the car for SVTOA on track event in two weeks so got it done while they were doing some other warrenty work to save time. Never again!

cobra101

Established Member
I paid 295 out the door at a local pepboys. I wish I did not get my rotors cut, but it is ok. The 295 was for: hawk hps up front, raybestos pg in the back, turning all rotors, Labor, and tax. Midas wanted 400 bucks for all four but they were "albany" brand. No thank you.

I would of done it myself but I didn't have time. My pads were basically down to the metal so I needed new pads quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread