What shocks for H&R Race springs?

J15BIG

Established Member
I think im goin to dtich the coil over idea and go with a good spring/shock combo. I have pretty much decided on the H&R race springs, now I need to know what shocks/struts. I was thinkin 00R spec but really dont know.

Let me hear your suggestions. And once again this has probably been beaten to death but no search. I tried the suspesnion section but it looks like that section gets 5 views a day...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
if you are not getting coil overs there is no point in changing the shocks or struts in the cobra. As a matter of fact getting coil overs doesn't even require a shock strut change until a fairly extreme spring rate.

IMO spend an extra few hundred dollars and get coil overs.

J15BIG

Established Member
so i could use the stock shocks/struts with MMs coil over kit?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by J15BIG
so i could use the stock shocks/struts with MMs coil over kit?
yep. You cannot go over a 400# front spring and a 600# rear spring with the stock shocks/struts. 400/600 is rather stiff anyways. I am personally going with a 350/550 setup.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
IMO & experience, get the shocks and springs as a system (engineered). I would also ride in a car with your desired set-up. If it means driving 700+ miles roundtrip as I did for one of my previous cars, do it. Our cars are too well engineered to take changing lightly. This is the first cobra I even considered buying because I am so picky with handling & ride.

J15BIG

Established Member
dgussin, do our shocks need to have the groove machined or do they already have them?

geepaw,
what do you mean "as a system (engineered)"

what setup do you have?

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
dgussin, do our shocks need to have the groove machined or do they already have them?

they do need to be grooved, MM will do it for you, and I believe there is no charge.

J15BIG

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
they do need to be grooved, MM will do it for you, and I believe there is no charge.

Coil overs are sounding better and better. They are goin to be more then 600 cheaper then i orginally thought.:rockon:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Coil overs are sounding better and better. They are goin to be more then 600 cheaper then i orginally thought.:rockon:
yeah they really aren't much more than springs...because to do springs right, you will still need CC plates.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Why are you goin with those rates? Did MM recommend them?
from all my findings and driving other peoples coil overed cars I made that decision. That spring rate is a better ride and handles 10000000000000x better than stock. I wouldn't go any stiffer than that on a daily driven street car.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the 00R strut/shock valving is a much better match to the H&R race spring rate than the factory struts/shocks.

the h&r race spring is a very close approximation to the 00R spring. you might as well just choose the 00R springs (made by eiebach rather than H&R)

J15BIG

Established Member
d,
I was just reading over at corner-carvers.com that with the 03 IRS you should shoot for a spring rate that is about 5% less then the front for the rears. 550 is faaar from 5% less then 350. Are they talking non-coil overs?

Users who are viewing this thread