what shocks and struts?

big_boost

26 psi
Established Member
For those of you who have dropped your truck to the point if you go any further the frame would need cut...what shocks are you using in the back? I dropped mine about 4 inches in the back and about 3 in the front...cut about half of the bumper off the back side as well. I tried some two inch drop shocks for the rear and they aren't getting it done...need something a bit stiffer. Any ideas?

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
I'm in your boat. With only 1 inch of travel left in the shock nothing is really going to keep you from bottoming out, hence I'm going with a bolt in notch, weld in if I can find a good shop to do the welding. In the front the stock Bilstiens are fine. In the rear I'm still using the stock Bilstiens with So-cal shock extenders, with a little luck. I'm probably going to put helper bags in first and notch only if I really have to.

big_boost

26 psi
Established Member
You have to be a little lower than mine, I cut the stock bumpers down by about 2 inches and still have at least an inch of bumper between the rear and frame. I also have at least 4 inches of travel left and with the drop shocks when I bottom out it's the rear hitting the bumper, the shocks I have are way too soft which is either a design flaw or they are just worn out already. I need a good stiff shock absorber for it that will work with a 4 inch drop in the back. I am not going to notch the frame, I will raise it back up before I go through that hassle.

AZ ERIK

Established Member
I'm running these in the back as they are a bit less harsh than the stock 2000 bump stops
DSCF1823_Custom.sized.jpg

I'm down 4 inches in the rear. I still need to slide under there and get a pic of the axle to bump stop clearence with the bed on. I'll try to get that tonight. I also think I'm going to trim the point down on these but they are about 1/2 what the stocker was
DSCF1821_Custom.sized.jpg

Bootbox

Established Member
You only have an inch of travel. It doesn't matter how much shock shaft is showing if you bottom out on the bumpstop after an inch of suspension compression. If you don't want to notch the frame, raise it back up a few inches or you could try some air helper bags, they worked great on my truck to give the shocks a little help out back.

big_boost

26 psi
Established Member
the orange stopper you are using now is probably slightly bigger than what I am using...your stock bumpers are different than mine...mine are cone shaped on each side with ridges on the side of them, I cut a full two ridges out of it to leave enough that it will have some cushion between the rear and the frame

big_boost

26 psi
Established Member
Also, where I cut mine I measured it earlier and there is a full three inches of travel between the rear end and my bump stops. I don't expect to not ever have it bottom out but the bumps that I am bottoming out on are ridiculous...I may just sell the truck and be done with it...

AZ ERIK

Established Member
The thing is you probably lose 1/2 that amount of travel under acceleration thus anything you hit under power probably bottoms out. It's the same thing I'm going through. I'm picking up a set of air bags t o fix mine as it sits on the bump stops with the quad in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread